Two questions regarding the Great Loop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moparharn

1. Is there a definitive book on the loop? One containing maps, marinas, anchorage, repair facilities, dining, etc etc? A book to help me understand and prepare for the trip, and possibly give me many options.

2. Any advice and getting the first mate prepared, enthused, interested? Maybe see question 1? In this advice category, please feel free to offer what you consider as good advice such as be on the Mississippi by this date, or do not exceed a length, beam, or draft of...... Anything you deem very important.

Thank you for any help I might get. Bill

Answer this two Questions:
Where are you starting from?
How much time you plan for this trip?

We will start in Grosse Pointe, Mi (Detroit). The timing will likely depend on my wife, our health, our finances, etc etc. I would guess no less than three months and no more than twelve months. Then maybe go do it again and see what we missed, or possibly in a different boat better suited based on what we learned. Thanks!

Interactive forums like this one are tough to beat.

from..... https://www.greatloop.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=574480&module_id=185488

About AGLCA (America Great Loop Cruisers Association)

AGLCA's members range from experienced Loopers to boaters in the midst of Looping; from those planning on one day cruising the Great Loop to those simply exhilarated by the process of learning about the journey. Every level of interest is welcome, no restrictions or limitations! Whether you're young or just young at heart, still working or retired, ready to travel full-time or only every-so-often; whether you've got a powerboat, sailboat, trawler, rowboat or no boat; whether you are doing the Great Loop or dreaming, you'll fit right in, come aboard!

Join this group as they have all the resources and info that is up to date....not like most books or cruising guides....

We did it last year, but we went Tenn-Tom instead of Mississippi River. No regrets. Commercial traffic allot lighter. One thing to watch on Tenn-Tom are fisherman's on the flat bottom boats are everywhere. By the time you see them it is already too late. Your wake will rock them hard. Happens to me few times. Totally unintentional. Feel very sorry.
Barges are smaller then on Miss. river. The biggest one I saw was 3X3 pushed by tug. Night runs are not suggested unless well equipped (Radar, AIS, Search lights and Thermal/Night vision camera) . Locks - no problem. Longest wait time 20 min.
Get Coastal Explorer Software for planning and second Nav station. Autopilot is a must have.
Good Luck! If you need any other info, just ask. Will be glad to help you.

Limiting yourself to Capt John's perspective is like saying the only boat in the world worth owning is a Whaler with a Merc on it.

Good, but limiting.

Limiting yourself to Capt John's perspective is like saying the only boat in the world worth owning is a Whaler with a Merc on it.

Good, but limiting.

See if you can find a magazine named, "Waterway explorer," that might be some help (not an endorsement) Same folks that put out the Waterways Guide. If you find their site, (waterwayguide.com) they maintain they update their data daily.

Last edited:
Capt. John has a perspective. One worth reading as the entry fee is easy to make.

There are a lot of other sources, this is just one.
Just like there are a lot of different types of boats.

Exactly why I pointed a potential looper to a whole organization geared towards looping and not a single person or small organization with strong personal opinions.

The AGLCA has everything from forums, multiple resources, harbor hosts for local knowledge/assistance, podcasts, money deals.....etc...etc

Kinda hard to beat that resource....

Agree that AGLCA is probably the best resource. There are books on Amazon that deal with the loop.

The down side to the AGLA site is an $80 a year membership fee. Which appears to be a $10 bump from the old fee. If the OP is going to do the loop this year the fee might be worth it.

Otherwise one might join during the year one is actually going. The OP is asking about boat dimensions. I take that to mean the OP does not have a vessel at this point. I could be wrong about that and finding a free source may work for the moment. Even if it is a bias point of view.

Yes, it does cost to join AGLCA, but if the cost helps you buy the right boat and helps stop you from buying the wrong boat, what is that worth? Besides if you can’t afford $80 a year, you probably can’t afford to do the loop. He asked about getting his SO excited about the loop, isn’t that worth $80 if it does get the SO excited?

Only the OP can answer that question. I only posted an alternative perspective.

Capt John is but one....there are literally hundreds or more perspectives on the site.

You can pay a little to get a little, or a bit more to get way more...and can ask questions pertaining to today...from boats to places to random ideas, etc...etc....

If a person is just starting out...it's an excellent place to start building your info for loop planning.

I probably will never do the loop.... but it's a great resource for many things including just snowbirding the ACIW. That's because there are hundreds of boats and harbor hosts out there that may be within a stones throw of where I am an may be able to help literally withing minutes in all sorts of ways.

So to answer your second question, let me share with you what we are doing and see if any of this might work for your first mate. I try to make trips for her She likes quick trips to marinas, restaurants, sight seeing. She gave me a short list of must haves on the next boat: gennie, a/c, shower, washing machine, double helm seats electronic s galore. She wants to visit Nantucket, great loop, keys, etc. She doesn't want to drive but likes being the line monkey.
I can work with this plan!
Hope some of this helps.

AGLCA. They have a Facebook page. I’m not into fb but the admiral is at it everyday. Maybe that’s a start.
Consider attending the fall rendezvous in Alabama. It is in October, they should be announcing registration soon, don’t wait, it sells out fast. 3-4 days of seminars ranging from navigation to reluctant spouses. A few fun activities, and the “looper crawl” where the boats currently looping open their boats up for tour by the folks that are in the planning stage. Can see a bunch of different style boats actually looping with people actually living on them, great for the mrs to talk about storage space, meal prep, what do you really need and don’t need to bring along, etc. there’s nothing like hanging out with a group of like minded people having the time of their lives to get you and or the admiral pumped up.

I have been researching the Great Loop. I have joined AGLCA and i have more than received my money's worth in information and sound advice from boaters of all sizes. Ron Stob has done the loop multiple times, and has written several books on the topic. They are available on Amazon. Also Skipper Bob cruising guides are great too. I am doing to loop in sections. I have met some great people and learned alot in my journey so far. Earlier this year, Capt John and several Gold and platinum loopers published "cruising the great loop ". Everyone does it differently, but i stand to benefit from the collective knowledge of those who have gone before me. I did my first multi- night cruise close to home from Nikejack Lake to Chattanooga. Got the bug now.

As for the right boat i started big and as i learned about the expense and upkeep of larger boats my sights got smaller and cheaper. I have a 27ft Donzi and a crew cab dually to pull it. All in all, i have about $30k invested. Ron stob and his wife did the loop in their 26ft "Little Looper". They are my inspiration.

Have fun crawling all over as many boats as possible and the right one will come along.

Hope to see you'all on the water.

Last edited:
The crowded events might not be your thing. Maybe you want to get away from it all. The information is still good. You can use it to avoid crowds too.

Given your tight time window, and your specific questions, might I suggest:
1) go out to your driveway, light a $100 bill on fire, watch how quickly it is consumed & carefully evaluate how that felt. If it really hurt, forget about buying a boat.
2) buy a small to medium cruiser that fits your budget, but let's you stay on her without power plug in for 2 nights. Head up Lake Huron to the North Channel, or down thru Lake St Clair across Erie - maybe the Western Erie canal. These could be a couple of summer trips lasting 1-2 mos. each and you will learn to pick appropriate weather windows on the large lakes. There are serious construction impediments on the great rivers scheduled for the 2020 looping season so no reason to loop next year. Many loopers rate the parts of the loop from the Hudson River though Chicago as the best parts of their journey, why not enjoy them since you are so close?
3) Join the AGLCA ($80 - see #1). Learn about the loop, then go if you & your sig. other are still interested, but take your time if possible, the journey is the gem here.

Thank you to all who have offered advice. I intend to make use of all of it. I have plenty of time to do my research as I am now just 59 years into it. I likely have 8 years to plan for this adventure. As for burning a $100 bill, i think I will pass on that. I have owned boats for almost 55 years and am perfectly aware of the financial commitment involved. I am far too cheap to burn $100. I don't gamble for the same reason, I work to hard to give my money to some gangster corporation. Wait, that sounds like taxes. I will join the AGLCA, read Captain John, Ron Stob, and the skipper Bob guides. The entirety of this process is what I would like to take the time to enjoy. Starting now. Thank you!

PS- Old Dan. I am in the GPS Harbor which is shared with the GPYC. What is your brothers boat? I will howl across the harbor to him. :)

I don't recall where I the post is, but I remember someone saying 19'6" as a max height and 6' as a max draft. What are the consequences for violating this? Four or five open ocean runs of 40 miles or less? Or does it make the loop almost impossible?

It's fixed Bridges and canal depths (I think)...and talked about continuously in the AG LCA forums.

I prefer gaining general knowledge on TF.....but the ALGCA forum has both in varying degrees.

THIS! This right here for the first mate and learning the basics about the GL. A good read through will help her understand what it's about. There's no scary stuff in there to make a novice scared to travel the Loop. When I first learned about the GL, I had my doubts. After reading Captain Johns site and talking with people on forums I knew I had to do it.

The best resource for up to date info on places to anchor or stop for a break are found on forums. It's live and posts are made daily. The Great Loop Ass. is a good place to start. They do have a membership but it's worth it in my opinion when you are close to heading out.

I don't recall where I the post is, but I remember someone saying 19'6" as a max height and 6' as a max draft. What are the consequences for violating this? Four or five open ocean runs of 40 miles or less? Or does it make the loop almost impossible?

There is a bridge just South of Chicago that has an air clearance of 19' 6" change. There is no way around that as all Loop traffic has to go through there to make the loop.

The consequences, ... well if one were to charge forward, in addition to having a bad day, a call to your insurance carrier. May be an unplanned visit to a marina. Or at minimum turning around and going back to Michigan.

Max draft of 5' come about in the Canadian canal system. One doesn't have to go through that system to complete the loop.

1. Is there a definitive book on the loop? One containing maps, marinas, anchorage, repair facilities, dining, etc etc? A book to help me understand and prepare for the trip, and possibly give me many options.

2. Any advice and getting the first mate prepared, enthused, interested? Maybe see question 1? In this advice category, please feel free to offer what you consider as good advice such as be on the Mississippi by this date, or do not exceed a length, beam, or draft of...... Anything you deem very important.

Thank you for any help I might get. Bill

Wifey B:

People have answered number 1 as asked but I'm going to expand, because critical for number 2.

Don't ignore the land sites, the things to see. Show spouse the route and have her state identifying everything she'd like to see on that route using sites like Trip Advisor. It's not just a boating trip. It's an incredible sight seeing trip. There are things for anyone. We had 20 year olds with us who loved it as much as us. One day Baseball Hall of Fame, another day Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

I think marinas greatly facilitate sight seeing, if in your budget. We looked at each possible stop along the way, listed top three attractions and rated them, then decided which stops to make. Something for everyone.

As to limitations. Can't enter Erie Canal before around May 15 and generally want to leave Chicago around Sept 30. Unfortunately 2020 impacted by Illinois River Closure.

Max air draft 19'1". Preferred max draft I'd say 5' or so. Can be a little more though. Size and beam not big limiting factors. Don't listen to those who say can't find dockage over x ft and such. We did it in 69'4" LOA and had no issues. :)

There is a bridge just South of Chicago that has an air clearance of 19' 6" change. There is no way around that as all Loop traffic has to go through there to make the loop.

The consequences, ... well if one were to charge forward, in addition to having a bad day, a call to your insurance carrier. May be an unplanned visit to a marina. Or at minimum turning around and going back to Michigan.

Max draft of 5' come about in the Canadian canal system. One doesn't have to go through that system to complete the loop.
Last summer I travelled with a Krogen 48 Whaleback through the Trent-Severn. A Whaleback drafts 5.5 feet.

For some reason Ted hasn’t made a post on this subject but he would be my go to guy as he did the loop last year singlehanded. I would love to do it but I can’t get under the 20 ft bridge.

Read all you can and just do it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom