Mounts for bikes/kayaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schrater

Vessel Name
Matilda
Vessel Make
Ponderosa (CHB) 35' Sundeck
Looking for suggestions/recommendations for how to mount bicycles and kayaks, preferably to the outside rails of the upper decks. Anyone know of any off-the-shelf options?

I keep a folding bike in a bike bag and tie the bag to the railing. Keeps the rusting under control on the bike, and it easier to manhandle the bike off the boat when its in a bag.

Looking for suggestions/recommendations for how to mount bicycles and kayaks, preferably to the outside rails of the upper decks. Anyone know of any off-the-shelf options?

No idea on bicycles.

For kayaks, I have been very happy with the kayak racks by Garhaurer. They are simply an angled tube of SS that mounts to the base of the rail stanchions. We have had the same two sets since 2010. We used them first on the sailboat then moved them to the Trawler.

You face the trade off of cheap today, corroded tomorrow versus pricey now, last forever, but don't get used enough.

Also consider your rails may not be designed to handle loads put on them. The pulling forces on the fasteners holding them to the deck might cause bigger problems. If you go with rail mounting, best to make sure the screws aren't getting pulled up and allowing water to get into the decking.

We haul bikes around a lot on our cruiser. My low tech solution is swim noodles with a cut the entire length of the noodle. Slip over rail, and secured with strips of bulk Velcro around swim noodle. I then stand up bicycles next to the rail, and use nylon webbing with male/female clips and snap and tighten bikes against rail (wheels on deck). I go around heavier taller parts of bike and secure to rail.

As a final thing, I bought 2 of the large padded wire tie things, I put one though a wheel if I can, secure to vertical rail if possible.

We’ve done this for 2 years with 2 adult and 2 child bicycles. Last year did 120 miles on a trip on the Mississippi with lots of big wakes and waves, no issues.

Only dislikes are black marks from tires on deck, and poor placement by me a few times caused bad visibility, but when I was more careful with placement worked great.

We get tons of comments and people saying they should do that, but have only run across a few people that do.

It’s great to get to a port and have a fun and fit way to get around!

Will post a pic later if I can find one.

We haul bikes around a lot on our cruiser. My low tech solution is swim noodles with a cut the entire length of the noodle. Slip over rail, and secured with strips of bulk Velcro around swim noodle. I then stand up bicycles next to the rail, and use nylon webbing with male/female clips and snap and tighten bikes against rail (wheels on deck). I go around heavier taller parts of bike and secure to rail.

As a final thing, I bought 2 of the large padded wire tie things, I put one though a wheel if I can, secure to vertical rail if possible.

We’ve done this for 2 years with 2 adult and 2 child bicycles. Last year did 120 miles on a trip on the Mississippi with lots of big wakes and waves, no issues.

Only dislikes are black marks from tires on deck, and poor placement by me a few times caused bad visibility, but when I was more careful with placement worked great.

We get tons of comments and people saying they should do that, but have only run across a few people that do.

It’s great to get to a port and have a fun and fit way to get around!

Will post a pic later if I can find one.

Those are some great ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Ken

Great ideas!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom