Island Gypsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chadlad

Hi .. I am considering buying an Island Gypsy 30 and was wondering if they are considered a good ocean going vessel or just for use in sheltered waters . I would like to hear the type of conditions it is safe to be offshore in . I have an S&S ocean racing yacht and know she is a great sea boat and the conditions I would sail her in but unsure of the Island Gypsy .

Welcome aboard. A 30’ will be somewhat limited just due to size and range. Good luck in your search.

i have the 30. I consider it a coastal cruiser. 2-3 waves, no problem. 3-5 waves, rocking and rolling. 5-7 with 25 mph winds small craft warnings are up and I'm heading for a harbor. I'm usually within 3 miles of the coast, an hour from a harbor. Does not take the waves like my old cutter rig but it's much roomier and no cockpit so we travel in shade.

Have twin Lehman P90's and really pleased with the boat. I do pay a little closer attention to weather and will sit out bad days. (Well actually my wife refuses to go out in 6 or 7 because that's only average and there are many 8 to 10's added to the mix) The cutter had a clipper bow with a nice sea motion Trawler not so much.

No problem coastal cruising from Boston to Cuttyhunk, Newport, Block Island, etc. Faster, noisier, roomier, better view when anchored, no UV rays to worry about.

Coastal cruiser in good conditions. I had a Folkboat M26 which was way more sea capable than my IG36, and I`m sure it`s the same with your S & S.
We were transiting Sydney to Broken Bay and experienced short period beam on 2M waves, it was quite unpleasant, I adopted some sailing tricks to ease the situation. Can`t imagine the IG 30 being any better. A full displacement long keel Cuddles/Resort 30-35ft might be worth considering. Or a Masters 34(aka Aquarius in Qld),not FD but a renowned seaboat.

The scantlings for ocean work do not change much between a 30 and 60 ft boat.

Simplest is to check ports and windows.

3/4 inch glass or acrylic is a good sign the vessel was constructed for true ocean work.

About 1 in 100 boats , as it is expensive , and hardly needed for most trawler style boat uses.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom