Help need someone to preview an OA in San Deigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshillam

Guru
Vessel Name
Our Heaven
Vessel Make
1997 4800 Navigator
Seriously thinking hard on an OA in San Diego but before writing or flying I’d like someone to preview for me that has some experience and can lend an unbiased opinion. Anyone close by willing to check it out for me. Looks really close to what’s on the list.

Fee free to call or text
503-781-9967 Bryrick

Last edited:
$200 for an experienced assist.

Make a fun weekend out of it. Fly down, stay on the waterfront, tour the floating museum, go out to dinner in the gas lamp district, take a moment to look at a potential boat. If the boat didn’t check out who cares you had a mini vacation.

Make a fun weekend out of it. Fly down, stay on the waterfront, tour the floating museum, go out to dinner in the gas lamp district, take a moment to look at a potential boat. If the boat didn’t check out who cares you had a mini vacation.

Yup- Dave has nailed it!

Good point

Certainly I have thought about that however with my schedule I might not be able to break away until mid July or August. Ugh! Thought it might be something someone local would just put eyes on. I do like to visit SD!

Having just attempted to purchase a boat long distance I'd say if you are cramped for time don't start the process. My home is on Whidbey Island the boat was in Stockton Ca. You'll be making trips on short notice, read expensive air fares. I had 6 days away from home in 2 trips and don't feel that was enough. Once your offer is accepted you'll be racing the clock and the schedule will be driven by the surveyors and haulout yard's calendars. If you can't be on site you'll be trusting surveyors and estimators to do their work without you there to monitor, ask and answer questions. A very difficult problem is you won't have any local contacts you can trust to find good surveyors and shops for estimates.

I don't think OAs are rare or unique boats. Try to locate one within driving distance of home. Portland Or for you? The big markets on Puget Sound can be reached in a few hours by car. The asking prices for boats on Puget Sound tend to be higher than much of California. But the cost of completing the purchase and getting the boat home quickly eat up the difference. And Puget Sound boats will often close for far less than the asking price.

Air fare to San Diego is $207 on Southwest. It will take you three trips. One to look, one to survey, and one to retrieve the boat. It will cost you about $10,000 to drive the boat home on its bottom. Total cost to buy an out of area boat is about $15,000. If you are saving more than $25,000 then it makes sense. The $10,000 cost should cover fuel, insurance, and delivery captain that your insurance company will require. You can go as crew or not go.

Portage_Bay;776485 The [B said:
asking prices[/B] for boats on Puget Sound tend to be higher than much of California. But the cost of completing the purchase and getting the boat home quickly eat up the difference. And Puget Sound boats will often close for far less than the asking price.
:iagree:

What's an "OA"?

I’d call a broker and have him FaceTime you while he walks thru the boat, showing you the good and the bad. A broker is supposed to represent you. This is their job. They will do all this for free.

Air fare to San Diego is $207 on Southwest. It will take you three trips. One to look, one to survey, and one to retrieve the boat. It will cost you about $10,000 to drive the boat home on its bottom. Total cost to buy an out of area boat is about $15,000. If you are saving more than $25,000 then it makes sense. The $10,000 cost should cover fuel, insurance, and delivery captain that your insurance company will require. You can go as crew or not go.

Don't discount the cost of short notice trips. Working from memory one of my flights Everett to San Jose made in advance was quite affordable and I flew 1st class. The other was short notice and over $1,000 for two of us.

If it's "Sur Le Mer" it looks like a creampuff on Yachtworld...with low hours on the Cats and a price that is below comps.

OA

All very good comments. Thanks for the replies. I’ll keep moving forward this week and start a new thread if that’s the boat we focus on.

Cheers!

Old adage: If you don't have time to properly buy a boat, then you don't have time to use one.

Now, I understand there are exceptions, but I also see the huge mistakes sometimes made as people try to shortcut the buying process. I'd ask for some current photos with very specific requests. However, at that point if you can't make the time to go to San Diego, then perhaps it's not yet the right time to purchase. You're right about survey and closing, but then there's moving it home and there's making any upgrades. If time is really at a shortage then perhaps chartering for the next year or two is the best route. That way 100% of boating time is spent boating.

I don't believe the OP asked for any advice on how much various scenarios cost, how he was going to get it home, etc. Just asking for someone to lay eyes on it to see if he should investigate further.
Come on folks - don't preach - just help the man out if you can.

I don't believe the OP asked for any advice on how much various scenarios cost, how he was going to get it home, etc. Just asking for someone to lay eyes on it to see if he should investigate further.
Come on folks - don't preach - just help the man out if you can.

Yup.

And to the guy who offered experienced eyes for $200, I would ask you to send your resume over PM to him. It may be a very good spend.

If it were located in my hometown I would do it for free.

Are you a NAMS or SAMS surveyor?

I would think if such a surveyor offered to do a quick look over of a remote vessel for me, I would snatch his hand off for $200!

Yup.

And to the guy who offered experienced eyes for $200, I would ask you to send your resume over PM to him. It may be a very good spend.

My suggestion of $200 was to have my son who lives in LA swing by and take a hard look. He is not a surveyor but has been formally schooled in boat repair in the Miami area before moving to the west coast to work for Anheiser Busch. He knows his way around and would gladly use $200 on a date.

I would think if such a surveyor offered to do a quick look over of a remote vessel for me, I would snatch his hand off for $200!

No, I'm a meteorologist, but I'd give you a weather forecast for free too.:D

No, I'm a meteorologist, but I'd give you a weather forecast for free too.:D

Uh huh. I always wonder how you guys can keep your jobs based on the inaccuracies of your forecasts.

But then, there are plenty of fools who regularly pay to have their palms and cards read.

Nobody ever offered a $200 survey. Just trying to help out a fellow boater. Snatch a hand off for doing a quick once over and an experience or set of eyes? What’s the matter with you?

Nobody ever offered a $200 survey. Just trying to help out a fellow boater. Snatch a hand off for doing a quick once over and an experience or set of eyes? What’s the matter with you?

? what post are you replying to?

Force Multiplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post

No, I'm a meteorologist, but I'd give you a weather forecast for free too.

When I was looking for a vessel to do the loop, working from Australia, I had a surveyor do a pre sale survey, as for an owner wanting to know if any faults before listing, surveyors did a great job on several boats, cost about $300 each time, but cheaper than flying over.Had a full survey when I found the right boat. I ended up with a great boat and started my loop where I bought her.

Force Multiplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post

No, I'm a meteorologist, but I'd give you a weather forecast for free too.

So you were responding to my reply to Forcemultiplier, not my response to you, right?

Back
Top Bottom