We've been adopted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GFC

Guru
So last Saturday I was sitting on the back porch reading when my wife yelled at me to “come look at this.” She was walking quickly toward the river with a destination clearly in mind. I got up and looked to see where she was headed and saw two neighbor couples kneeling around a dog that was lying on the ground. Figuring that the dog was injured or something I followed her the 100 yards or so to where the neighbors were kneeling.

When I got there I saw a black dog that looked like a Lab but with light tan and white on its lower legs. The dog looked exhausted and was not moving. Someone had put a water dish next to it and the dog was trying to drink while lying on the ground. His tongue was hanging out and only after he rolled up onto his chest could he drink.

Well, you know where this story is headed. After a few glasses of adult beverages (for us) and some food and water for the dog, he was up and moving around, albeit slowly. He was in rough shape. His paws were rough and red and swollen and he was having difficulty walking.

Anyway, to make a long story short, the dog chose us to take him home. We continued to feed and water him (borrowing dog food from one of the neighbors) and all he did was sleep for the next 36 hours or so.

We debated over a name (bowser, champ, scruffy, blackie, etc.) and couldn’t decide. My wife put ads on Craigslist, 4 different places on Facebook, in our local newspaper and called the Animal Control and Humane Society to see if anyone had reported him lost.

So now it was Monday and we were watching the Seattle Mariners (yup, Seattle’s bottom of the heap baseball team) and lo and behold, so was the dog. His attention was glued to the TV. We joked about him being a Mariners’ fan and so I suggested the name Sailor. It stuck.

Tuesday we went to Petco and dropped $240 on a bark collar, dog tag, 2 leashes, 2 dog toys and a lifejacket. Ouch. This dog was starting to get expensive. And that didn’t count the bag of dog food she bought for him at Target. Or the new dog dishes.

As it turns out he’s a great dog. He’s starting to learn his name, comes when he’s called and his biggest failure is that he likes to be outside and wants someone to play with him all the time. That ain’t likely to happen.

So what does this monster look like, well here’s a photo of him relaxing on our couch while he’s watching….guess what….the Mariners. Say hello to Sailor, the dog who’s about to become a boat dog.

Sailor-on-the-couch.jpg

By way of a PS, so far there have been zero calls or emails about someone losing this dog. I guess he's here to stay.

Greetings,
Mr. GFC. Have you taken him to a vet for a check-up and to have him scanned for a microchip? Best to know what, if any, health problems he has. He's a bit white around the muzzle so he may be getting on in years. I'd wait at least a month before laying claim.

200.webp

Hello sailor...

Last edited:
Looks like a great dog. Do take him to the vet soon as Rufus suggested. More and more pets have tracking chips inserted. All of my cats are chipped.

There is a place already set aside in heaven for people who open their hearts to any animal in need. And in that I include other people.

Well done.

Attachments

• HopCarDog.jpg
    HopCarDog.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Menzies, my wife said to tell you that you made her day!

RTF and Parks, that was the first thing we did, even before he came in the house. No chip. Our next door neighbor's daughter is a vet. She gave him a quick check and said he's about 7 - 8 years old.

So we have no history on him. He seems to fit into our little family well.

Menzies, my wife said to tell you that you made her day!

RTF and Parks, that was the first thing we did, even before he came in the house. No chip. Our next door neighbor's daughter is a vet. She gave him a quick check and said he's about 7 - 8 years old.

So we have no history on him. He seems to fit into our little family well.

You’ve got yourself a fine dog. Well done.

Great job, I'm sure he will repay you many times, thanks!

"the dog chose us to take him home."
Surely the best way to get any pet!

Aww... good on ya, for taking him in. Great, heartwarming story and it sounds like will be a happy ending for all of you. Thanks for sharing.

Great name.

Our cat was named Sailor. He loved boating.

We found him in the bushes in our backyard when he wa 5 weeks old.

We had 18 wonderful years with him.

I miss him a lot.

Last edited:
Congratulations--Your Lucky Day...getting selected by a good looking dog!

Twill be interesting to see how Sailor reacts to the engines firing up and at cruise. Hope that goes well.

Hi Mike and Tina,

Patches saw the post and said “Woof Woof”, I think she said Sailor is a hottie!

Cheers

Great name.

Our cat was named Sailor. He loved boating.

We found him in the bushes in our backyard when he wa 5 weeks old.

We had 18 wonderful years with him.

I miss him a lot.

We recently were chosen by a neighborhood feral cat. It so reminded me of my long gone cat who rode on my shoulders to the mail box and such, loved canoe rides and if not in the canoe, would follow along on the shore.
The feral cat-Not so much!! eats the food, sleeps in the heat pad bunk. We call it "Its Nibs" as we don't even know the sex and it will not allow any approach, Gone!!! Outa here Now!.

Good story for a Saturday morning. Thanks for sharing.

We've had two dogs in a row now that are funny, sweet, smart, and all they want in life is to be close to us. Both shelter dogs. This sounds odd I know, but I wish I could be as devoted a Christian as my dog is devoted to me. They're great gifts to humans.

Well he's still a (temporary) member of the family. We took him to the club with us for breakfast and he was a perfect gentleman. He was friendly to everyone, even letting a little 2 year old boy climb on him while Sailor was lying on the concrete deck.

"Twill be interesting to see how Sailor reacts to the engines firing up and at cruise. Hope that goes well. " I've been wondering about that. Tomorrow may be his maiden voyage if the winds aren't howling too loud. I'll let you know how that goes.

John, we aren't going to do any online dating sources....yet. Tell Patches not to hold her breath.

This afternoon I was out cutting down some dead branches from our willow tree in the backyard and guess show showed up to help.
Sailor_with_a_branch.jpg

One couple at the club was interested in him to replace a dog that died a year ago that belonged to an older lady whose husband travels a lot for work. We'll see them tonight when we go back to the club for dinner and see what they have to say.

At this point he's a very happy boy and seems to like the homestead. Lots of room to roam, mama takes him for a long walk at least once a day and we don't gripe if he wants to nap everyday. But then, so do we. At our ages naps are not called "Naps", they're "Happy hours".

Last edited:
You aren't seriously interested in giving him to someone else....

...Tuesday we went to Petco and dropped $240 on a bark collar, dog tag, 2 leashes, 2 dog toys and a lifejacket. Ouch. This dog was starting to get expensive. And that didn’t count the bag of dog food she bought for him at Target. Or the new dog dishes.

Just wait til the vet bills. You ain't seen nothing yet. Worth every penny though.

Wifey B: Dogs and kids are better judges of people than adults are. They see beyond all the superficiality. They see kindness and see the heart. They seek nothing but love. :D

Last edited:
Lucky old sailor.

Perhaps he could be the honorary TF hound.

Greetings,
Mr. AG. I don't think there's too much hound in old sailor. Looks like a Laboratory Retriever/German Shipyard/Gin and Collie type mix.

HAH! A lot I know. Our new rescue was "advertised" as a Redbone Coonhound! Best I can reckon is he's a Catahoula Leopard Dog. Look it up folks...

We named him Leon anyway.

Well the old Sailor got his first boat ride today. He wasn't too keen on jumping over the ~1' gap between the swim platform and the dock but did it with a gentle tug on his leash. Then he settled down in the cockpit while we got things ready to go.

I had Tina video him as I fired up the engines and here's the result...

That was about as nervous as he got during the while trip. I wouldn't go so far as to say he was very at ease with being on the boat, but he did fine. We made it a short cruise then back to the slip. We took the side and back curtains off the fly bridge for the summer and he was fine watching us get on and off the boat.

When it was time to leave, a gentle tug on his leash got him to jump over the open area at the stern, then it was time to go home.

All things considered it was a good day afloat.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s been just over two months since Sailor adopted us soI thought I’d write a short update to let you know how it’s going. My background with owning dogs goes back towhen I was 5 years old and over those 60+ years I’ve owned more dogs than I cancount. Big dogs, little dogs, Pugs,Huskies, Labs. You name it and I’ve probablyowned one.

In the 2 months we’ve owned Sailor I’ve learned someamazing things about him:
-He’s very smart
-He’s tricky
-He’s bashful
-He’s playful
-He’s a very quick learner.

Some of his oddball characteristics:
His bedtime isaround 9:30. If I’m not ready for bed and messing around onmy laptop, he walks up to my chair and lays his head on my keyboard. If I move his head away, he puts it rightback. This can go on several times untilhe gets fed up with my antics and he’ll try to push my laptop off my lap with hisnose.

He’s not a bitshy about letting me know what he wants and when he wants it. His early morning trick is, when he’s walkingaround on the wood floor, I can hear the click of his nails. If I pretend to still be sleeping, he shakeshis head so the tags on his collar rattle and his ears flap. He knows that will wake me up.

Then it’s timefor a walk. He’s patient, but only to apoint. I get up, do my bathroom stuff,get dressed and he’s pretty patient through all that. But the minute I pick up a pair of shoes toput on he goes ballistic, talking to me and telling me to hurry. He’s ready for his morning walk.

He loves to walk tothe river bank. He explores down there,running up and down the bank checking out the new smells. He really likes it when the river is waydown. That gives him more area toexplore and more smells to check out. Healso knows when he’s down there, ,it’s when he’s to do his morning toiletryduties.

His vocabulary isgetting bigger every day. Since he adoptedus he’s learned these words: Stop, gohome, no, come, get your stick (one of his favorites), get your monkey (hisstuffed animal he carries around, and another of his favorite commands). He knows what dinner is, what treat means andwe have to spell the word “walk” or he goes bananas.

He’s becomingmore tolerant of being on the boat and isn’t frightened of the sound of enginesstarting like he was.

Before we wereadopted, I had my mind set that we would not get a dog until after oursummer-long trip to Canada was done. Itonly took Sailor about 2 days to get me to change my mind. Now that he’s a permanent part of the familyhe’s going to be coming with us.

I could write a lot more about his comical antics butthis is enough. You get the point. If you get the idea from reading this that I’mtaken with this dog, you’re spot on. He’sincreased the size of our family by 50%, but he’s increased the fun factor by100%.

Welcome to the family, Sailor.

Thanks for the update! I wonder who is training who!

We lost Grace The World's Greatest Boat Dog in March of last year. We have a couple of long retirement trips planned over the next two years but will be re-upping with a pooch at the end of 2021.

Every time we watch our "testimonial video" we still get dust in our eyes.

http://atanchor.com/?page_id=1899

God help us!

Last edited:
You only THINK he can't spell w-a-l-k.

Greetings,
Mr. GFC. Good to hear Sailor has been successful in YOUR training. Our "new" rescue, Leon (he got us at Easter, of this year) is quite interesting as well. We had a late launch (July 1st) and he had never been on any watercraft, with us but being a rescue we have no idea of his possible previous experience with same. Hopped on, sniffed around and promptly lay down in the v-berth on our bedding and basically went to sleep. Fast, slow, slow speed or up on plane he wanders around and then goes to sleep. He IS quite skittish with loud noises but the engine doesn't seem to phase him at all.

picture

Exactly. We can't spell it or even say W. We have to mix up words such as ambulate, promenade, stroll (although I think he knows that one), sashay, and saunter.
You only THINK he can't spell w-a-l-k.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom