Starting our long range plan to cruise around world.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

homeby5

Hey guys,
My wife and I have started our discussions about our dream to cruise around the world. I am 55 and retired and my wife is also 55 and will retire next year. We plan on departing within the next five years.
Now I am no stranger to boating. I fished as an offshore Charter Captain for a decade in The Keys. I also owned Florida Keys Marine Services so I am well suited for performing maintenance myself.
My first goal is to gather as much info on my upcoming trip. You know....guides and books from authors who have lots of experience. how much time will it take? Best routes and what time of year to make them? And probably 100 more....I will take any and all recommends.
Also...I am taking a few years to gather info on what type of trawler and what size I will need. I will have a limited amount of money so I will go with a used trawler. Stuff like should I look at under 40ft or over 40 ft? Price range under $250K or over? Things like this.....
Anyway....looking for info and I figured this would be a great place to start.
Thank you.

Best of luck with your adventure! Lots to research. Get a good Ocean crossing boat. Sooner or later bad weather will catch up with you and you don't want to be second the girl who brought you to the dance.

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. 5. You've mentioned blue water cruising in several posts which puts you into a different class of vessel so I'm thinking over 40' and over $250K. Just a WAG on my part.

Richard on Dauntless crossed the Atlantic (and returned), went they the canal. And is on his way to Alaska.

42’ Kady Krogen

Welcome aboard. I agree on over 40’ and over $250K. Good luck.

My plan is to join you in the retirement club next year. Good luck with your adventure and keep us posted.

Is there any threads on this forum that discuss those who have crossed the oceans? I would love to read some material...
Also...are there any clubs or groups that travel together on these crossings? I would think there would be some sort of flotilla that travels these routes together?

Last edited:
A well-found 42' Kadey Krogen can be had for that budget.
It will get you anywhere you want to do.
Two books to start with:
Les Weatherritt , Your First Atlantic Crossing
Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising Routes

Keep in touch.

I suggest reading "Voyaging under power" by Beebe. It is a detailed book on the various aspects of ocean crossing boats and their operation. It covers the tradeoffs of various design characteristics that will be important to understand in your search.

Additionally there some YouTube channels on the subject, one you may want to check out is Cruising Sea Venture. It is about a couple and their boat with plans similar to yours.

"I suggest reading "Voyaging under power" by Beebe"

YES!

But get the first edition , after that it became just an advertising tool.

Although the boats will be very different, all the same problems and questions you will face were faced for decades by the early sailors.

There are many sail cruising books from the 60's and 70's that will work as a guide for the trip.
"Ocean Passages for the World" classic route guide.

Most sailors had boats of 30-35 ish size so provisioning and storage was a hassle , and many would wait for seasonal weather windows.

Last edited:
Cruising around the world is a totally different level of boating that 99.5% or more of boaters can even comment on.

With my background, I might be tempted to cross an ocean on a small vessel at least a couple times with preferably several skippers before I did it myself....

Mostly to ID what I didn't know.

Be very selective of advice from those that have not done it several times themselves.

IMO "round the world" passagemaking is not for the budget constrained. Firstly, you need a vessel that is capable with Richard's 42ft "Dauntless" probably being toward the lower end of the size scale. Second, you need a lot of serious off-shore blue water experience. Third, you need the cash to outfit and supply the vessel for arduous travel. Then, you need a crew capable of really handling the vessel under difficult circumstances, and maintaining round the clock watches (minimum = 4). Lastly, you need to be prepared to be very bored for long periods of time!
When we bought our Selene 47, the "dream" was to sail it to Galapagos.
We never made it - only round trip to the Bahamas (from Boston).
Despite probably having acquired a reasonable amount of solid experience along the way, the thought of countless days and nights at sea, mostly boring, but interspersed with moments of terror, kept us closer to home.
We have friends who have crossed the Atlantic a few times but who nearly did not make it back last time when rolled by a giant wave.
My hat goes off to Richard and Dauntless but this is not for everyone!!
Lastly, the type of vessel ideally suited to round-the-world passagemaking is probably not he best choice if in the end you stay closer to home. You will probably miss out some of the "nice-to-haves" in favor of "must haves" for the long voyage.
But best of luck and success in whatever you decide to do.

A great example...of what's the mininimum?

Oceans have been crossed in rowboats and vessels of extremely limited budgets....

It's the plan with alternatives that succeeds, neither the boat alone or the skipper alone but the right combo with the right planning.

The Titanic didn't make it....Thor Heyerdahl on Kon-Tiki and Ra did.....

I have a lot more experience at sea than many (but not all in small vessels), in harms way, pole to pole.....and no way am I ready for a small boat circumnavigation in MY comfort zone. Some may want me along (have been offered) but I have risked so much so many times.... I prefer a more sure bet and certainly would want the others to compliment my input, not mimic it.

Last edited:
Stuff like should I look at under 40ft or over 40 ft? Price range under $250K or over?

Great goal to have - I hope it works out!

Start by defining your true budget as that will realistically manage how you turn your dream into reality.

As a rough starting point I'd say take whatever your budget is and only apportion 1/2 to the purchase of the boat. You're likely looking at an older vessel and any major repairs will could easily take chunks of $20k to $50k to get right (stripping the hull to repair rotted cores. Replacing corroded steel and fully sandblasting the hull. Engine overhaul. Stabilizers! etc.).

The balance of that budget will be spent by the time you're completely outfitted with full fuel and food and money for your first year of cruising.

Check out the blog “MV Dirona”. The Hamilton’s have circumnavigated on their 52 Nordvavn. They are very knowledgeable

Is there any threads on this forum that discuss those who have crossed the oceans? I would love to read some material...
Also...are there any clubs or groups that travel together on these crossings? I would think there would be some sort of flotilla that travels these routes together?

I cruised for several years on a sturdy fast-sailing Bruce Bingham designed double-ended 35 ft. cutter-rigged sailboat. I recognize you have your heart set on a trawler, but please, for the sake of your wallet, consider exploring the possibility of joining the vast majority of circumnavigators who combine sail & power in their journeys. There is much to be said for for quiet passages & anchorages, as well as the comrades encountered on the way. Yes, there are buddy boats for passage makings, & that is how I've made most passages, & it is the safest method underway, though an actual flotilla is not usual. However, it is not unusual to meet up with the same boats in various ports. My skipper & I once met a guy while hitch-hiking in the back of a pickup on the way to a pizza joint in Costa Rica; the following year we ran into him & his wife in Cartagena. A couple of years later they visited us in North Carolina. Later we managed to meet up in Washington, DC, New York, & even London. The final time the four of us got together was at his burial at Arlington. My skipper now also rests in a military cemetery, but I still visit his widow at least once a year in California. It turned out that for over a decade we had lived just around the corner from each other there, but had never met until that night in the back of the pickup truck. I would think it much easier to connect with buddies if you were in a sailboat. Most bluewater cruisers are sailors, & in my experience most powerboaters & sailors who cruise just don't mix all that much socially. Sad, but true. Don't believe that sailboats can't be comfortable. Even though my boat wasn't all that large, it had an aft cabin & a workshop. I'm boat shopping for a trawler-type boat right now, up to 49 ft. & haven't come across one yet with a workshop. Just keep an open mind, & enjoy your journey!

Well over 40' and well over $250k.

Now, I haven't done it on a small boat, but have crossed large expanses of water on larger boats and do intend to cross oceans.

Let's start with Richard and his 42 KK since it's been brought up. I would put that boat as the minimum. However, understand Richard is very unique and much of it was alone, not with wife along. So, would your wife be ok with all he's done and would the boat be enough for the two of you? I can't say. I am a KK fan but for your purposes would prefer larger. Richard has shown what he can do. You'll have to decide if right for you.

Nordhavn, I would not do it in under 50' and would prefer 60'+. I've read the experiences of those doing it in smaller and encourage you to do the same, but just some experiences I'd prefer to avoid. You don't want to take the first ocean crossing and have your spouse say, "no more."

There are other brands of boats that can do it but mostly in the 60' and above range. Selene, Outer Reef, Cheoy Lee, Cape Horn, Bering are a few that quickly come to mind.

The point isn't just to do it, but to do it in a way that it's pleasurable for you and your wife.

If your desire is to see the world, but boating across the oceans isn't key, one alternative is to go smaller and ship across the oceans. Wouldn't be my choice, but felt appropriate to toss it out.

You might look at Diesel Ducks, the professionally built seahorse marine ducks have a great reputation as solid blue water steel trawlers if equipped appropriately. A used DD in the 46' range can be acquired and outfitted for under 250K.

Crossing an ocean and surviving it is different than crossing and continuing on knowing that you may encounter worse than you already have.

Seaworthy vessels doesn't mean "pleasurable" on average.....

I have seen way more boaters give it up just from a rough 100 mile near shore passage than the other way around.

Knowing the future for you and another is a wondrous thing...wish I had been that blessed in life.

I cruised for several years on a sturdy fast-sailing Bruce Bingham designed double-ended 35 ft. cutter-rigged sailboat. I recognize you have your heart set on a trawler, but please, for the sake of your wallet, consider exploring the possibility of joining the vast majority of circumnavigators who combine sail & power in their journeys. There is much to be said for for quiet passages & anchorages, as well as the comrades encountered on the way. Yes, there are buddy boats for passage makings, & that is how I've made most passages, & it is the safest method underway, though an actual flotilla is not usual. However, it is not unusual to meet up with the same boats in various ports. My skipper & I once met a guy while hitch-hiking in the back of a pickup on the way to a pizza joint in Costa Rica; the following year we ran into him & his wife in Cartagena. A couple of years later they visited us in North Carolina. Later we managed to meet up in Washington, DC, New York, & even London. The final time the four of us got together was at his burial at Arlington. My skipper now also rests in a military cemetery, but I still visit his widow at least once a year in California. It turned out that for over a decade we had lived just around the corner from each other there, but had never met until that night in the back of the pickup truck. I would think it much easier to connect with buddies if you were in a sailboat. Most bluewater cruisers are sailors, & in my experience most powerboaters & sailors who cruise just don't mix all that much socially. Sad, but true. Don't believe that sailboats can't be comfortable. Even though my boat wasn't all that large, it had an aft cabin & a workshop. I'm boat shopping for a trawler-type boat right now, up to 49 ft. & haven't come across one yet with a workshop. Just keep an open mind, & enjoy your journey!

IMP, yours was a nice well thought out post, thank you!

My tongue in cheek response is that it's much easier to connect with buddies if you're in a powerboat as you're much more likely to have your radio on and near the helm.

Ted

That thread is 50+ pages and I haven't had a chance to read through it all. What was sobering about it?
I just spent 3 hours today reading it. It seems Richard hit some nasty weather during the last few days that got real hairy. That's what I took as sobering.

BTW..did he start another thread when he crossed back and went through the canal? I see he is now on Pacific side.

That thread is 50+ pages and I haven't had a chance to read through it all. What was sobering about it?
The later part of the trip when he is traveling solo, working his way through weather patterns with limited forecast information, and fighting what most of us would call big seas. Try to visualize traveling around 6 knots. The weather patterns move much faster than you do. There come times when you have to change direction because the weather and seas won't let you go where you want. This isn't like being in a freighter traveling 20 knots driving through everything and being able to outrun the weather if you need to. Then there is also that part about staying out of the way of 20 knot freighters.

Ted

I work as a meteorologist (29+ years so far) and can appreciate weather. I don't even trust weather forecasts over the US mainland past about, well, 24 hours if I'm being truly honest. Weather over the north Atlantic frightens me.

..........Then, you need a crew capable of really handling the vessel under difficult circumstances, and maintaining round the clock watches (minimum = 4).

My wife and I sailed around the world on a fairly powerful 46' catamaran with our two young children. We were told that we were on the "dizzy limit" of boat size for us two as crew. That demographic, or an older retired couple were the most common crew combinations by far. A number had a few friends along for the tougher passages.
I don't recall ever meeting a vessel that had four "capable" crew the whole way around apart from the much larger ones with paid crew.

For boat sizes we met circumnavigators on boats as small as 12 feet. (Evgeny Gvozdyov on the yacht Said) We cruised with yachts of 30 feet pretty often. Power boats usually have to be bigger than a sail boat mostly because you have to put the fuel somewhere. That's the main reason the KK42 is the sweet spot for small size vs actually being able to do it.

Read Richard's posts and skip most of the rest. Use search or click the number under "replies". Short story, not a nice place to be, especially alone.

I agree a consideration of the Diesel Duck steel hulled boats, esp. the 382 & the 462. These boats are designed by George Buehler to make ocean passages in safety & comfort. There should be affordable used boats on the market.

I also recommend noonsite.com, maintained by the World Cruising Club. It's mostly for sailboats, but the info to various ports around the world is invaluable.

Yes, by all means, read Jimmy Cornell's classic "World Cruising Routes." Jimmy also founded the World Cruising Club.

I have only run from New England to the Carib non stop a few times , but the ocean is the ocean, far less dangers than inshore .

Sure bad weather is a common fear & PIA , but once the style of using the vessel for the weather conditions is found its only time spent that might be uncomfortable , a good warm, dry sea berth and a good book takes care of most of it.

In sailboats the self steering gear is probably the difference between an enjoyable passage and a whole bunch of work.

The autopilot is one key to ocean motoring , clean fuel probably the prime key.

Few diesels simply disintegrate if the have been run a few hundred hours and are monitored for water/oil etc.

The ocean work I have done was comfortable with a crew of 3 , using 3 on, 6,off for watch standing.

Assuming a crews competent with along shore traveling the transition to offshore ocean work is not a big deal.

The vessel will need suitable scantlings, storm ports? enough fuel and other storage , but books will cover other folks experiences enough to be aware of the requirements.

Its just not that big a deal , after the first storm and week of travel you will know if its for you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom