Steering fluid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomsboat

Vessel Make
Mainship Trawler
On my 40 ft Mainship trawler at the upper helm station there is a nob above the steering wheel.It is for the steering fluid .It has ragged edges should I be able to loosen it by hand and what is the procedure to add steering fluid to it.

Sea star makes a fitting that screws into it with a short section of rubber tubing attached to it. On the other end is a cap that screws onto a bottle of hydraulic fluid. There is a procedure that you use to add fluid. It's easy to find if you do a little googling.

If it is just to fill/top the reservoir (without the need to purge the circuit) you can just pour the hydraulic fluid in the reservoir using a small funnel.

If you need to purge seastar gives procedure on their docs check their website.

L

I have a clear plastic tube that serves as a surge tank.

I use ATF as directed by Harbor Marine in Everett Wa.

The plug in the same place in the lower station is a non vented plug, the pug in the upper helm is vented. Do NOT remove the lower helm plug.

The oil level at the upper helm should be right to the top, or very close. If you have to add more than an ounce of oil you probably have a leak somewhere. The earlier suggestions re the clear tubing are typically for when you need to add significant fluid, for instance if you add a auto-pilot.

I recommend for oil what the manufacturer recommends, Sea Star Fluid. You can substitute with a variety of various oils but with a durable hydraulic part designed to work for decades I choose to spend the few extra dollars for the recommended oil. You can source the same oil as Sea Star, but real Sea Star Oil is available at most any marine store and you will probably only buy 1 quart in your lifetime

:socool:

Should the cap be hand tight or do I need pliers to take it off.I haven't tried to take it off yet. Tom

Should be very snug - needed pliers to get mine loose. When turning the wheel a good bit of pressure will build up.

If it is just to fill/top the reservoir (without the need to purge the circuit) you can just pour the hydraulic fluid in the reservoir using a small funnel.

If you need to purge seastar gives procedure on their docs check their website.

L

I have a small squirt oil can! I tighten my fill cap tight plus one castigation. so I use a pair of pliers lightly.

will have the seal replaced soon, not a big deal or leak, just something else!!!:banghead:

Al you are lucky to be so much equipped, a squirt oil can is on my xmas list :D
There is no need to over tighten it. There should be an O-ring on the plug, tighten it by hand and it should be enough.

L

Know what you are adding. Seastar uses hydraulic fluid--they have their own brand. Capilano uses ATF.

Back
Top Bottom