Westerbeke fuel filter change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
I have put off changing the fuel filters on my Westerbeke generator. Well it bit me on the arse the other day on a 6 hr trip homewhen it quit running.It would start back up but only run for about three minutes. I checked the solenoid and it was good. I decided it had to be fuel filters. This is my first filter change on the generator.
When I was putting my parts list together to order very thing for filter change I noticed that the PO had a 2 micron on the racor. I thought that was a little strange so I ordered a 10micron instead and ordered both filters for the engine.
The racor was pretty funky when I pulled it off and I don’t know why but there WAS NOT any filter in the lift pump.The other filter was pretty nasty as well.
I changed out all filters. The PO installed a inline hand bulb to fill the Racor and that made it a little less messy . I fired it up and let it run for about thirty minutes , so far so good .

Last edited:
Using a 2 micron element isn't a problem with a larger Racor separator. I have a 500 series separator in front of my 8KW Onan generator. The 500 series is rated for 60 GPH. My Onan maximum consumption is 1 GPH. There is a tremendous amount of surface area in the filter element. So it trapping more particles isn't a problem. I usually change both the Racor element and the engine fuel filter once a year, just to be safe. In the overall cost of boating, fuel filters are a negligible cost.

Ted

This is a 230 series Racor . I wonder why the PO removed the filter from the lift pump .

These filters are also common as an add on to PU diesels to stop water problems. If you don't have trouble using a 2 micron, there are many advantages to have really clean fuel. Longer pump and injector life, cleaner tanks, etc. I've been running 2 micron filters in my primaries for the last 7 years w/o problems, but I use a fuel conditioner and make an effort to buy clean, fresh fuel.

Attachments

• R20s.jpg
    R20s.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 281
This is a 230 series Racor . I wonder why the PO removed the filter from the lift pump .

Because a PO's mechanic knew enough to know it was there, it was clogged, but did not have a replacement handy. It is not really needed (70 micron) with a Racor upstream.
When I checked mine for the first time it looked like one of those ugly Steve D'Antonio pictures!

I went back to this thread because I’m still having some issues. The problem now is at start up. The first 10 minutes or so the engine almost dies but picks right back up. I go down and give the inline squeeze bulb prior to Racor a couple of squeezes and I’m good for the rest of the day.
The only thing I did different was to install a filter in the lift pump. The PO had removed it. I only have about 15 hours running on this filter change and it'run fine up until now.
I’m going to pull the lift filter out and see if anything changes. The lift filter parts are #6,7,and 8. Is there any harm in doing this and are there other suggestions? I’ll probably do another filter change even if this works.

Attachments

• C8757B2C-CAD3-4ACB-9C81-E3C477CD2FF8.jpg
    C8757B2C-CAD3-4ACB-9C81-E3C477CD2FF8.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
The electric lift pumps fail often, especially with age. Good to have a new one in there and maybe carry a spare.

The electric lift pumps fail often, especially with age. Good to have a new one in there and maybe carry a spare.
Thanks Ski. I was afraid of that. Westerbeke part #WB-301385 is $263.00 @ diesel parts direct .

Might also check for air leaks in the fuel system. Common leak points could be the squeeze bulb and the Racor filter lid not being tight enough. Wondering if squeezing the bulb if pushing the air out or the system back through the return line.

Ted

Removed fuel filter from lift pump . Ran for 30 minutes with no issues. I’m guessing the lift pump is getting weak.

Back
Top Bottom