Evicted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve

Guru
Vessel Name
Gumbo
Vessel Make
2003 Monk 36
This guy got evicted from my marina last week. One of the apartment dwellers called the "Nuisance Alligator Man" who caught and carted him off. He was hauled out from the slip next to my boat. Pretty good size, about 5' although a foot or more of his tail was missing, probably bitten off when he was smaller.
I'm sure his replacement will be around in no time.

Attachments

• marina gator.JPG
    marina gator.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 346
  • marina gator 1.JPG
    marina gator 1.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 350
I don't claim to know much about gators, but it doesn't seem like the tail (or missing parts) are what you have to worry about.

Glad he got evicted before someone got eviscerated.

They taped his jaws closed before hauling him up onto the dock

Now why would anyone be doing this in their bare feet!!

They all should be evicted from Florida.
If people knew that gator meat was an aphrodisiac they would be under control quickly. :)

I don’t have a problem with management of the population but with the invasive species in Florida we need to be very careful that there is no unintended consequences

If people knew that gator meat was an aphrodisiac they would be under control quickly. :)

It probably is known for that in China! :lol:

Greetings,
Mr. S. I can't quite make it out but is that a gator or a croc? Gators I don't mind that much, it's crocs I'm a bit leery of.

We got gator poachers on the St Johns. Nothing like being awaken by their lights scans at night. There is a gator hunting season in the fall but it only last a week or two.

We don’t have them here, thankfully but we do have winter

I spend a LOT of time in the water and hope to never meet up with a gator. I'll take a shark or pissed off fisherman any time.

Fortunately we don't have a lot of them in salt water, but they DO get there.

This guy was swimming in the river right outside our marina last weekend.
There’s one that hangs out in our marina too.

Steve, I know you know what Spahr’s is...we stopped there for dinner on our way home Sunday evening and there were 4 big ones behind the restaurant. Course that’s very normal there.

Attachments

• D29B728E-0C23-4BC5-91D5-B7C33C9BE22F.jpg
    D29B728E-0C23-4BC5-91D5-B7C33C9BE22F.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 74
We walked around a marina in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and saw a couple of very large (10 feet?) gators in the marina, either swimming or sunning themselves. They didn't seem interested in crawling ashore (around people, restaurants shops, etc), but there was nothing to stop them from doing so. Funny, I didn't see anyone scraping their bottoms.

Todd

Steve, I know you know what Spahr’s is...we stopped there for dinner on our way home Sunday evening and there were 4 big ones behind the restaurant. Course that’s very normal there.

Stars, did ya have the Catfish Chips? Regular stop for us on our way to the fishing camp. BTW, I have a particular dislike for gators. They have gotten so bad in S. LA. that we can no longer use our labs to hunt teal in Sept. They will go out their way to attack a retrieving dog in the water. Gators have a special taste/hate for dogs.

Todd2 - you sure they were gators? A bit further south (Ixtapa, Zihuatenejo) it's all saltwater (American) crocs. At least used to be - been some years since I was down there.

I wish we had 10 times more alligators and 1/10 of the people in Florida. They should have evicted the nuisance woman in the apartment.

Move somewhere where there are no alligators if you don't like them. They were here before she was..

Todd2 - you sure they were gators? A bit further south (Ixtapa, Zihuatenejo) it's all saltwater (American) crocs. At least used to be - been some years since I was down there.

I had to Google it, but you are right - apparently what I saw were crocodiles, not alligators. :blush: They are huge though - others report 12-15 feet long. I saw a smaller one (8'?) in the marina also. Apparently, there is a croc sanctuary nearby. There are warning signs along the sidewalks. I wouldn't get near them. They look big enough to eat you - or at least an appendage.

Todd

Another case a couple of days ago
Alligator bites Louisiana sheriff's deputy trying to tape its mouth
Gator pulled free from catch pole

A Louisiana sheriff's deputy is expected to make a full recovery after being bitten by an alligator and having to pry his right arm out of its jaws.

The St. Charles Parish Sheriff's Office said deputies were helping animal control officers on Monday to capture the gator, which was approximately 5 feet long. It had wandered into a backyard in Luling, about 25 miles west of New Orleans.

The deputy, who was not identified, was attempting to tape the alligator's mouth so it could be safely relocated in the wild.

The alligator was being held by a catch pole, but it was able to pull free and bite the deputy's right arm.

A second deputy pinned the alligator to keep it from thrashing and rolling, which could have caused more serious injuries. They freed the officer's arm, but he suffered deep lacerations and puncture wounds.

I do know Spahr's well, there is one here in Thibodaux too.
They probably had a couple of gators in the freezer too! Good eating!

Our local fauna is more benign.

Attachments

• IMG_0147.jpg
    IMG_0147.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 76

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom