checklist for cruising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cnbirrell

This topic may be way too inidividualized, because I'm sure different individuals with different boats have varied priorities, but I'm curious if people have or know of a good checklist of maintenance issues to look at before a long cruise.* I've got a GB36, and I've got the regular maintenance checklist, but I'm curious what priorities you all have before a big trip.

Thanks, Craig

#1 Beer.

#2 more Beer.

#3 enough Beer.

#4 food.

#5 Beer.

#6 Whisky or other libations.

The rest of the boat stuff.

Like you said to broad a topic. You talking about leaving the site of land or just a long coastal cruise?

If you are talking about just maintenance issues. It's your boat. After a few short cruises you should be able to nail down what you really need.

Spare parts,Hoses, belts, fuses, tools*and the like.

A little more info about you and your boat would be helpful.

SD

We have a printed checklist with basic "Before departure" items on one side and "Before leaving the boat to go home" items on the other side. It has helped us catch items we might have overlooked.

Seems to me we've gone through this exercise in the last year.

We have a "Ditch Kit" which my wife checks regularly. It contains an additional flare gun, flash light, some kind of survival food packets, an extra hand held marine radio plus other goodies. I havent looed at it in years. That is her thing. When we took long trips, we always had it by the companionway so one can grab it on the way out the door in the dark. We are both of the attitude that nothing ever happens on a nice day.

-- Edited by Tony B on Wednesday 29th of February 2012 03:47:59 PM

Not much more than what we do every spring, change oil, filters, impellors, replace hoses and belts that need changing.* Before we head to Alaska I will pull the heat exchanges/manifold to have the clean and checked and pull the boat to have hull and running gear cleaned and painted.* We carry extra filters, hoses, fluids, impellors, pumps and tools so most things can be changed/fix.* *****
Being a live aboard, we usually have two weeks of food/drinks on the boat, so might have to stock up on some items.* Mainly ICE CREAM!* Also may have to take on some more fuel but we usually have 400 to 600 gallons which would get us 800 to 1200 miles.* The fishing gear, crab shrimp pots would be taken out of storage.*

My biggest concern about cruising remote areas is NOT being able to shop, have facials, pedicures and manicures.* I might be able to make it two weeks.**
hmm.gif

Marin wrote:
We have a printed checklist with basic "Before departure" items on one side and "Before leaving the boat to go home" items on the other side. It has helped us catch items we might have overlooked.
I've been meaning to do that for the past 2 years. Maybe I'll get around to it in the near future. In the meantime, I'll continue to turn the car around and go back for the items I forgot.

SeaHorse II wrote:Marin wrote:
I've been meaning to do that for the past 2 years. Maybe I'll get around to it in the near future. In the meantime, I'll continue to turn the car around and go back for the items I forgot.

*You could just have it delivered couldn't you?
smile.gif

SeaHorse II wrote:*... In the meantime, I'll continue to turn the car around and go back for the items I forgot.
*My most serious "offense" so far was to forget the boat keys.* Realizing that at the marina's parking lot, I had to retrace the 32-mile round trip and pay another $5 bridge toll!

doh.gif
<table class="genmed" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td width="100">*</td><td width="40">
frustrated.gif
</td></tr></tbody></table>

as far as the boat goes, nothing at of the ordinary from normal maintenance and pre departure checks.* Making sure we have enough food and beverages and we have whatever clothes and stuff we'll need is about it.* We like to put a cooler on the aft deck for beverages if we are going to be out for a few days, so we can keep the room in the fridge for food and not have to open the door so much.*

Thanks all ...... and actually I used to have a number of foster kids, and did forget one once, leaving him at a ski slope. I didn't figure it out till I got down off the mountain and went to buy ice cream cones. It all worked out well.....

markpierce wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:*... In the meantime, I'll continue to turn the car around and go back for the items I forgot.
*My most serious "offense" so far was to forget the boat keys.* Realizing that at the marina's parking lot, I had to retrace the 32-mile round trip and pay another $5 bridge toll!

doh.gif
<table class="genmed" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td width="100">*</td><td width="40">
frustrated.gif
</td></tr></tbody></table>
One of the warnings in the Camano owners manual is to hide a spare key somewhere on the boat.* I did and I have used it more than once.

Driving back home for your key is one thing, locking yourself out of your own boat while anchored in the middle of nowhere could be a serious problem.

Hide a key.

List? I don't need no stinkin' list!*
biggrin.gif

Actually, it's a pretty good idea.

I try to keep the boat stocked with non-perishable food and dry goods as we often spend the weekend on the boat in the marina.* Maintenance and spare parts are taken care of.* Fuel tanks are topped off.* I'll call the diver and have the bottom done before we take off.

So - it's a matter of season appropriate clothing and meals for the first few days.

Keys?* What Keys?* Who needs a key?*
hmm.gif

I figure if they know*how to open the through hulls, and*turn the*battery switch to on, they know how the start the dank engines.* Shoot I can with a screw driver.*I usually start the engine in the engine room which does not require a key.
aww.gif

We seldom lock the boat*becasue they will do more damage breaking in than the stuff they might take.* Actaully*I would not mind if*someone CARRY OFF some of our old TV, stereos, computers than I don't have to carry them off the boat and dispose of them.**
biggrin.gif
*Besides, why would they break in to an ugly old trawler when there a fancy, newer boats in the marina?* The #1 item stolen in a Marina are OB motors and they can have my 1980 something motor I bought used for 200 bucks.
blankstare.gif

In the 14+ years we have been a live a board we have not had anything stolen.* however we have*had and found strangers in our boat as they thought it was for sale?**When moored on Lake Union we were moored on*the Ocean Alex dock so*75% of the boats where for sale, so it was not big deal.* We don't lock the vehilce either, again*because they do more damage breaking in than what they might take?*
confuse.gif

Phil Fill wrote:
Keys?* What Keys?* Who needs a key?*
hmm.gif

I figure if they know*how to open the through hulls, and*turn the*battery switch to on, they know how the start the dank engines.* Shoot I can with a screw driver.*I usually start the engine in the engine room which does not require a key.
aww.gif

We seldom lock the boat*becasue they will do more damage breaking in than the stuff they might take.* Actaully*I would not mind if*someone CARRY OFF some of our old TV, stereos, computers than I don't have to carry them off the boat and dispose of them.**
biggrin.gif
*Besides, why would they break in to an ugly old trawler when there a fancy, newer boats in the marina?* The #1 item stolen in a Marina are OB motors and they can have my 1980 something motor I bought used for 200 bucks.
blankstare.gif

In the 14+ years we have been a live a board we have not had anything stolen.* however we have*had and found strangers in our boat as they thought it was for sale?**When moored on Lake Union we were moored on*the Ocean Alex dock so*75% of the boats where for sale, so it was not big deal.* We don't lock the vehilce either, again*because they do more damage breaking in than what they might take?*
confuse.gif

I keep the boat locked when we're not on it.* My wife makes sure it's locked when we are sleeping on it.* That's probably a good idea.

I wouldn't want to wake up and find strangers on my boat in any event.

There's a saying "Lock it or lose it."* Pretty much applies to boats, cars, homes, etc.* It's sad, but there is an element in our society that thinks it's OK to take fom others, rather than to earn it themselves.

-- Edited by rwidman on Thursday 1st of March 2012 10:05:16 AM

I've replaced all my keyed locks with combination locks -- even to the front door of my house. Used to forget keys fairly regularly -- haven't forgotten a combination yet. Makes life a lot easier if a friend/relative needs to get into your house or boat and you're not around, just give them the combo over the phone. You can always change it later, if you like. Some of the new combo locks even have a "remote" function so you can unlock it by phone.

dvd

-- Edited by dvd on Thursday 1st of March 2012 12:38:19 PM

The boat door key is on the chain with the car and motorcycle keys.

The boat key is in the boat.

I made a checklist, but found that my wife serves that purpose quite well.

Did You? Did You?? Did You??? Yes dear. Thank You!

-- Edited by Carey on Thursday 1st of March 2012 12:43:17 PM

Carl

I'll probably show her. I often commend her for saving me from my own stupidity.

Check list for cruising.
1) Credit card
2) boat stuff
3) second credit card
4) boat stuff
5) cash
6) boat stuff

rwidman wrote:
I keep the boat locked when we're not on it.
*So do we.* One potential issue I saw with older GBs like ours is that there is a gap between the door and the door frame wide enough for someone to slip a knife blade or credit card into and work the deadbolt back. The lock mechanism on older GBs does not have a very positive detent for the deadbolt mechanism.* So a few years ago a friend fabricated a small plate out of stainles steel and I trhough-bolted it to the door beween the lock plate and the edge of the door with enough overlap to cover the gap but not so much as to hit the handrail when we open the door.

A determined thief will get into any boat, but the far more common problem is the "thief of opportunity."* Make it even a little bit harder to break into the boat and they will most likely move on to another one.

Old Stone wrote:
Somehow Carey, I think you have lots of company (from being saved from our own stupidity! Count me as one of them.
*Ain't that why we married them??

not sure why they married us???

My List *Block ice. Our longest passages to date are from Kemah Texas to Ponchatrain or returning to Kemah. This is a 4 day trip on a slow boat and we usually provision before we leave as there are few places to get supplies. One of my responsibilities is to assure the crew does not run out of cold drinks. We don't have an icemaker, so good planning pays off. I have found that in our large ice chest- if I start with two 10# blocks of ice, add drinks, then loose bagged ice- my job becomes much easier. I love the block ice!

Haven't really thought about it, but suppose "The Block Ice Guy" could work......geez- I suppose that sounds pretty lame:smile:

Forkliftt wrote:
......Kemah Texas to Ponchatrain or returning to Kemah. This is a 4 day trip on a slow boat .......
*What route do you take?

Open water to Atchafalaya Bay then inland?

I too live in Kemah.

Hey Tony, we live near Baton Rouge and bought our Trawler in Kemah Texas after our sank in Katrina. We love the Kemah area and left her there for probably a year and a half before bringing her closer to home. When we started planning the trip, I really thought blue water was the way to go, but it tunns out that oil rigs, overnighters and other things make that a bad option. If I had known Charles Colatta at the time, who I think pretty much pioneered "running with the tugboats", he would have explained how cool it is to run the ICW and how easy. The trip involves Houston Ship Channel to Bolivar Point and then head East. We had a set of nice charts printed for the trip, I installed a color chartplotter, brought along an ambitious buddy along with the wife and off we headed. We also had purchased and studied the Skipper Bob publication. My biggest concern was going around tugs pushing a tow, and Skipper Bob addressed this well. A VHF handset, and a hail to determine should you go on the "one whistle" or "two" were things we learned. I even put a 1 and 2 piece of tape at the upper helm to help me remember. This was a suggestion from a Mississippi River tugboat captain who used this method when on a new to him vessel. One on the left and 2 on the right as I understood. The captain must have been a "simple" guy, needing to be reminded of something this easy I remember thinking. When I passed my first tow, "Bull Calf" on the "two"- he thankfully corrected me before I ran aground near Bolivar. "The two. The two. My port!" he says. I quickly switched my blue tape after I corrected my course. There four or five "water" locks along the way so you need to understand the process for entering these and be aware of significant tug boat propwash if you are not the front guy when leaving. And the last big issue is locking into/ out of the Mississippi River in New Orleans. You can go through Algiers or the Harvey Lock. We always do the Harvey Lock. Skipper Bob covers the protocol for here and Morgan City- you have to stay in contact with the river authorities when traveling through.

Old Stone wrote:
....*will somebody please tell me about Kemah, Tx!

Seems to pop up a lot, seems to be a pretty cool place. Please enlighten!
*Kemah is SE of Houston, Tx. Just a small tourist kinda of town. The waterfront is pretty much Clear Lake and dumps into Galveston Bay.

Just a nice laid back place. For the little excitement there is around here, there is the Kemah Boardwalk. It is a combination of Resaturants, shops and amuzement park. Prolly less than* 10 minutes to Johnson Space Center. The "Houston, we have a problem" guys.

Kemah is also either the 2nd or 3rd largest boating area in the U.S. Quite a few marinas have over 600 boats each.

-- Edited by Tony B on Saturday 3rd of March 2012 09:50:55 AM

-- Edited by Tony B on Saturday 3rd of March 2012 10:12:16 AM

Forkliftt wrote:
.......*Skipper Bob covers the protocol for here and Morgan City- you have to stay in contact with the river authorities when traveling through....
*Thanks for the info. I am familiar with the protocol. I used to be*a crewboat Capt. there for a few years.

I found that the Govt. publications are much better than the civilian wriiten books. Try "U.S. Coast Pilot". Chock full of info including radio freq's, tel. no's etc of bridges, locks etc. You can prolly get them from West Marine. Another source for them, since you live near coastal, is if you know any oil field boat personnel. They have to always have the newest edition on board and they throw away the year old stuff. They will gladly give you the old copies.

Tony B wrote:

Forkliftt wrote:
.......*Skipper Bob covers the protocol for here and Morgan City- you have to stay in contact with the river authorities when traveling through....
*Thanks for the info. I am familiar with the protocol. I used to be*a crewboat Capt. there for a few years.

I found that the Govt. publications are much better than the civilian wriiten books. Try "U.S. Coast Pilot". Chock full of info including radio freq's, tel. no's etc of bridges, locks etc. You can prolly get them from West Marine. Another source for them, since you live near coastal, is if you know any oil field boat personnel. They have to always have the newest edition on board and they throw away the year old stuff. They will gladly give you the old copies.

Great info. Will do. For Patricia and I, the locks were our biggest concern. After making it through the first one ( probably nothing near as hard as the TennTom locks), I took my Trawler addition Swiss Army Knife and scratched a notch on top of the door that holds the VHF radio. We have lots of notches now:smile:A guy with your skill set might look at some offshore running going East??::::::::Carl, Patricia would relocTe to Kemah tomorrow!! We actually were setting up to relocate our small business once to the area. Leased an office warehouse, we are even incorporated in Texas!
Great restaurants, great West Marine, VERY low slip prices in resort type settings, and very attractive pricing on real estate. The whole area is laid back as mentioned. With so much industry, there is lots of $$$ around, it's a fun place to be.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom