Sunshine Coast / Desolation diesel prices?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Aruna
Vessel Make
Kristen Yachts 50 Pilot House
Anyone been up the Sunshine Coast in BC and further into Desolation and have updates on diesel prices? I'm planning a trip in a few weeks and have Pender Harbor and Gorge Harbor as fuel points....

I usually stop at Secret Cove - they always have good fuel pices.

Pender has the highest fuel prices next to Lighthouse/Porpoise Bay. Secret Cove is better. Lund has gone up a lot in the last years, phone ahead but be sitting down.

I usually stop at Secret Cove - they always have good fuel pices.

Pender has the highest fuel prices next to Lighthouse/Porpoise Bay. Secret Cove is better. Lund has gone up a lot in the last years, phone ahead but be sitting down.

Ah thanks for the advice - that seems to be the common theme when I check on other forums/elsewhere.

A bit out of your way but you may want to check out Discovery Harbour in Campbell River. Unfortunately I'm not there at the moment so can't give you their current pricing. I will be by the end of the week if you're still interested.

A bit out of your way but you may want to check out Discovery Harbour in Campbell River. Unfortunately I'm not there at the moment so can't give you their current pricing. I will be by the end of the week if you're still interested.

I don't leave for a couple more weeks, and won't be up in that area for a couple more, so that would be great! Thanks!

To Xs and other BC area boaters: is there a website or phone app that consolidates marine fuel prices and availability in SW BC?

Here in the lower 48 I use GasBuddy on the phone for terrestrial travel, but I haven't seen anything similar for marine world use.

Best regards, hope to bring my Farrell back north next month for a tour of your splendid islands, pubs & coves.

It may be worth a few phone calls. I seem to recall that Westview/Powell River had decent fuel prices a couple years ago. Maybe Northern Spy will chime in.

I take it you can’t make it without a fuel stop? It’s stating the obvious, but fuel in CA will be significantly more than in the US

Concur. I've found Discovery Harbour cheaper than the other places mentioned. They also sell a huge amount of diesel to tugs and big fishboats. The high throughput probably makes for better quality fuel compared to low volume sellers.

When did Waggoner stop doing their fuel price survey? That was great.

I'm away at work currently. But Westview Fuels in Powell River is at (604)485-2867

Gasoline price at the pump in town at Chevron, not at the dock, last week was 1.65/l. Diesel was 1.35/l.

Ouch indeed.

The Beach Gardens at Grief Point also sells marine diesel. 1-800-663-7070

Last edited:
I have found Powell River to be the cheapest. Surprisingly Refuge Cove is not unreasonable. Fuel prices didn’t get crazy until past Blind Channel. Over the last few years I have paid between $1.39 and $1.59 Canadian per liter. It usually shows up on my c.c. At $4 to $4.5 per gallon. Usually about $1 more than Friday Harbor.

Support of local Marina's is a good thing, if they happen to be a few cents a litre more think about how much it would cost to fly in an impeller or other part that they may have, and you need. If they are not there ????? Fuel is one of the inexpensive items we use through the summer. How many burn a 1000 gallons over the summer. If the marina is .20 more than the road it works out to two hundred over the summer, even if it is .20 over per litre it really is small change compared to the quality time spent on the boat. There are many boaters that spend many boat bucks each year and have very few hours on the boat. If you are burning fuel you are making memories. Enjoy

I take it you can’t make it without a fuel stop? It’s stating the obvious, but fuel in CA will be significantly more than in the US

Unfortunately I can't. I only have 300 gallons total aboard, and I burn about 5-6 gallons/hour at the best economy. I'm underway for 25 days, 5 initially in the US, so I'm looking for 2 stops somewhere up there.

I'm away at work currently. But Westview Fuels in Powell River is at (604)485-2867

Gasoline price at the pump in town at Chevron, not at the dock, last week was 1.65/l. Diesel was 1.35/l.

Ouch indeed.

The Beach Gardens at Grief Point also sells marine diesel. 1-800-663-7070

Thanks!

I have found Powell River to be the cheapest. Surprisingly Refuge Cove is not unreasonable. Fuel prices didn’t get crazy until past Blind Channel. Over the last few years I have paid between $1.39 and $1.59 Canadian per liter. It usually shows up on my c.c. At $4 to $4.5 per gallon. Usually about $1 more than Friday Harbor.

That's what I was sort of expecting price-wise.

Concur. I've found Discovery Harbour cheaper than the other places mentioned. They also sell a huge amount of diesel to tugs and big fishboats. The high throughput probably makes for better quality fuel compared to low volume sellers.

Thanks, that might work for our return leg, and Powell River for the leg up.

I’ve had good luck at Westview, discounts for volume. Small float and hard to get into, especially if there is a lineup. Form the line outside the harbour especially if the tide is low.

Also have good luck w Powell River - Westview. Call around before. I have suppliers quote lower than their listed price to get you in. When getting a quote be careful to ask if all taxes are in the quote.

Remember newer Americans coming up to BC, looking at Canadian prices, what you see isn't necessarily what you get, I'll use gas prices since finding diesel fuel prices is more difficult.

Gas in Parksville BC $1.37.9/litre and $5.24/gallon

Washington 3.35/gallon (average state price)

Converting to American is.........................$4 using dollar conversion app

So gas is more expensive here but not as profound as it may first appear.

rsn48
is that US gallons or Imperial gallons? :)

That’s us gallons. Most fuel in Canada is sold by the liter. However, there are a few places that sell Imperial Gallons but they advertise their price by the liter.

The American Standard urinal taught me litre to American gallons. As you are about your business in one and look down, you will see the America gallon converted to liters - 3.8 litres to the gallon.

Rather than pricing, I think it's important to know *where* fuel is available. We've been up to Desolation several times and most of the time we're ready to get fuel, it doesn't make sense to try to go to another location just to save a few dollars. Pender Harbour, Secret Cove, Westview, Lund, Refuge, Gorge Harbour are all good stops. Some will even allow you to refill your water tank although I believe that Westview is the furthest marina North that will allow for pumpouts (if you don't have overboard discharge available). We'll be up there towards the end of the month too - enjoy your trip!

Got back from my trip a week or so ago. Fueled in Secret Cove and Gorge Harbour.

Secret Cove was about $5.25 / US gallon
Gorge Harbour was $6.50 / US gallon

I also fueled up on my way back in Oak Harbor, one of my least favorite marinas to get in/out of, but for a slightly lower price of $2.60 / US gallon

Those extra dollars sure add up!

Got back from my trip a week or so ago. Fueled in Secret Cove and Gorge Harbour.

Secret Cove was about $5.25 / US gallon
Gorge Harbour was $6.50 / US gallon

I also fueled up on my way back in Oak Harbor, one of my least favorite marinas to get in/out of, but for a slightly lower price of $2.60 / US gallon

Those extra dollars sure add up!

Nice! We fueled up in Nanaimo then went as far North as Toba Wilderness, through Desolation Sound, Secret Cove and the refueled again in Vancouver. We did spend much of our time underway at slower speeds to conserve fuel but I was really impressed with the efficiency of our Swift Trawler! It’s nice to be able to go faster (~15 knots) or slower at 8-9 knots and burn 1/2 the fuel.

Yeah, it is not super easy to get in and out of. It doesn't help that there is often a strong wind blowing in off the Straits over the low spot in Whidbey. However, they usually have the best diesel prices in the Sound.

Yeah, it is not super easy to get in and out of. It doesn't help that there is often a strong wind blowing in off the Straits over the low spot in Whidbey. However, they usually have the best diesel prices in the Sound.

The wind was OK when I was there a week or so ago. I have been there with that wind effect, and it is not fun - not just for the fuel dock, but the guest slips as well.

While I was there, I had to wait for one boat ahead of me, but four boats were waiting while I was fueling, including a local live aboard sailboat who ranks as the rudest person I have had to deal with (and the fuel dock employees as well) in the last year on the water. Sorry we're spending money at your marina and keeping your rates low :)

I've also found Brownsville, north of Bremerton and south of Poulsbo, to be very inexpensive as well, almost as close as Oak Harbor. Again, though, it is a very narrow and technical entrance with a lot of shallows to port, plus a tiny fuel dock that fit my 46' and nothing else. Super nice people though, and cheap fuel!

I fuelled in Westview:
$1.25/litre pump price
4% fuel tax, so $1.30
in US Gal x 3.78, $4.19
in $US, ÷1.33, $3.69
the rest will be your bank card charges for converting from $US to $C. Some are 3%, most set a fixed rate at a premium.

When I shop in the US, the reverse applies, so I have $US bank card and have some $US in the bank account from which I pay that card. Buying $ of the other currency when exchange rates are good will help a lot.

Back
Top Bottom