View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 05:05 AM   #8
Tony B
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Mainship 36?

We are in the same position as you except you are one step ahead of us. Your sailboat is gone!! Ours is still up for sale.

Initially we were looking at 40 to 44 footers because we definitely wanted something a little bigger than the Allied 39" we have now. Then we looked at a Mainship 36. Well, our attitude changed slightly. From 'how big could we afford' we shifted to how small can we get away with.

The V-beth is about the same size as we have now.*******************

The mainship has 2 heads instead of one and both are bigger than our current one.

The main salon is about the same as we have now in both looks and feel.

The mainship 36 has a small booth size dining area in the galley as opposed to our table in the salon.

The Galley on the MS 36 is about the same size as our current one.

The MS has an aft cabin (owners stateroom) where our current aft cockpit is.

So far, the MS seems a lot more to the likings of the admiral than our current boat. Then comes the deal maker:

When you go out the main salon on the mainship, you are entering directly into a full enclosure deck on top of the aft cabinwhich in turn is connected to a fully enclosed flybridge.

Only downside I see is the gas engines but that would not be a deal killer for me. *

Not saying a 36 MS is the ideal boat and other manufacturers have pretty close to the same design, however, the 36-38 footers are now in the running.

I also noticed that most trawlers and motoryachts are not really set up well for long range cruising in that they mostly have high electric consumption with the bigger fridges and electric stoves. This can easily be remedied with your current sailboat knowledge.

All I have to do now is get my Allied 39 sold.

Happy hunting
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote