Costa Concordia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
red neck screw up

So the ONLY folks that screw up are "rednecks"?

FF wrote:
red neck screw up

So the ONLY folks that screw up are "rednecks"?
No, you can see screw ups anywhere. *There are "red neck" actions all over the world. *It's not a location, but a mentality.

Moonstruck wrote:ARoss wrote:
Here's a link I was sent from a yacht club member

http://gcaptain.com/gcaptains-john-...maneuvers-of-the-costa-concordia-video/?37941
*Thanks, Al. *This was beyond an accident. *I would call it an Italian red neck screw up. *I can eee the captain saying, "hold my wine, and watch this folks". *Incredible. *4,200 lives onboard.

*You are correct Don.* A lot like the Ehime Maru and USS Greeneville collision.* A bit of hot dogging on the Greeneville killed nine people of which four were high school students.* The scary part here was that a USN sub did not know that the fishing boat was above them.*Or at least that was the story told by the Navy at the time. *Anybody believe that?* I'm guessing that it was a "hold my beer moment" as well as they tried to show off for the guests on board and were going to scare the hell out of the folks on the fishing boat when a sub brakes water right next to them.* The Navy conducted a public court of inquiry, placed blame on Waddle and other members of Greeneville's crew, and dealt Non-judicial punishment or administrative disciplinary action to the captain and some crew members.* I think this Capt. is going to have a little stricter enforcement of the law applied to him.

JD wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
*You are correct Don.* A lot like the Ehime Maru and USS Greeneville collision.*

*JD, you are so right about this one. *While the punishment for this one was not judicial, I can assure you that career wise it was severe. *I know the Navy JAG that negotiated the settlement with the Japanese. *It was costly, but not as costly as the US government expected. *A friend's son had been commander of that Submarine group prior to *the accident. *It seems that the then commander and some others also suffered careerwise for it. *Lucky for the one who left. *He became a rear admiral 2nd half commander of Subs Atlantic. *The Navy doesn't like public screw ups.

I can't remember the name of the sub that hit the uncharted underwater mountain in the middle of the pacific, but I think there was a court martial for that one. *How would you like to be going along thinking you had about 20,000' under the keel, and run into a mountain? *The fact that they saved the sub was a miracle.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Tuesday 24th of January 2012 11:21:29 AM

The fact that they saved the sub was a miracle.

I love miracles , but crew training probably saved the boat.

Italian Cruise ship captain Francesco Schettino began his new job as a bus driver yesterday.....

dwhatty wrote:
Italian Cruise ship captain Francesco Schettino began his new job as a bus driver yesterday.....
Of course the question of guilt cannot be assigned until the reason Capt. Schettino put the bus in the ditch becomes clear.* Was he trying to give the kids a better and more dramatic view of the row of trees?* Was he taking the bus "inside" to offer a salute to a retired bus driver?* Was he ordered*by*bus company management*to take the bus off the normal roadway?* Was he distracted by rowdy kids at the critical moment of judgement beside the ditch?

Are the reports true*of Capt. Schettino escaping out the rear emergency exit of the bus while his*helpless (and much shorter) passengers struggled in the muddy water flowing in through the windows?* Did Capt. Schettino repeatedly refuse orders relayed by the Highway Patrol via cell phone to re-enter*the frog and salamander-infested ditch to take command of the evacuation?* Was an accidental "push" by the frantically struggling students responsible for Capt. Schettino's "falling" out the rear emgergency exit into the ditch?**Did he repeatedly try to re-board the bus but*was prevented from doing so by the hail of lunch buckets, books, and backpacks tumbling out through the windows, pushed by the flailing arms and legs*of the frantic students inside?

I assume that the data and voice recorders have been recovered from the bus and that when analized, their contents will give a factual picture of the events that occured prior to, during, and immediatly after the capsizing of the bus.* The world waits.

Intriguing questions Marin*:juggle:.. you are good!!!!

Elwin*

Special dinner apparel for your next*Italian cruise.****** KJ

download.spark

I dunno. I can think of way worse places to be stranded than the Seychelles. We did a job in Victoria awhile back for a week or so which included going out to some of the outlying islands. As most of you probably know, I'm no fan of the tropics. I've done my time and got an early release for good behavior from my sentence of life in Hawaii. But the Seychelles, despite the horribly hot and humid climate, is a fascinating place. The oldest land tortoise in the world lives there. Well over 200 years old. They know which one she is and which island she lives on but they don't tell anyone. Their national tree is the coco de mer, the male and female fruit of which has to be seen to be believed (it's their passport stamp design and is the most intriguing and "suggestive" stamp I've ever seen).

So if those folks on the Costa whichever-one-it-is-this-time get to spend more than their scheduled stop there, they could have a real bonus to their trip. Oh, they also have giant fruit bats with a wingspan of nearly six feet. Way cool to watch them fly in the evenings.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 29th of February 2012 01:24:11 PM

Can somebody explain why a (controlled) fire in the generator room would totally incapacitate this vessel? Are the main engines driven by electricity? Even so, it seems strange that there is no adequate back-up system. Incidentally this vessel (Allegra) began life as a container ship about 40 years ago and has been through a number of updates/recycles.
Chris

Don't know but it was also a generator fire that shut down that cruise ship off Mexico-Southern California awhile back. Maybe the generators supply something the main engines need in order to operate. Cooling, fuel, the engines' control systems? Just speculation.......

Cruise ships typically*use electric*motors to turn their propellers.* Their diesel engines aren't connected to propeller shafts but instead turn generators to produce electrical power for propulsion and everything else.

markpierce wrote:
Cruise ships typically*use electric*motors to turn their propellers.* Their diesel engines aren't connected to propeller shafts but instead turn generators to produce electrical power for propulsion and everything else.
* * * * Correcto Mundo!

I believe you will find the Costa Allegra is powered by two pairs of medium speed diesels driving two conventional shafts through combining gearboxes.

Large marine engines are completely dependent on external electrical power. If power fails for any reason the engine will immediately stop. The emergency generator is no adequately sized to power all the auxiliary equipment needed to operate the main engine.

Generators are normally located in a separate area or generator room and a fire that knocks out one generator might easily disable the others and leave the ship dead in the water.

RickB wrote:
I believe you will find the Costa Allegra is powered by two pairs of medium speed diesels driving two conventional shafts through combining gearboxes.
Won't dispute that.* My books on cruise ships show that while some of Costa's ships are diesel-electric, others are directly diesel-driven* or even* gas turbine.* The Allegra isn't mentioned: books obviously are*not current.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom