View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 06:36 AM   #17
South of Heaven
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
No way would I downsize (and I love Ranger Tugs and C Dorys; had several C Dorys). For me they were too small. The smaller beam means less comfort, seakeeping and interior volume.

You also said that a Ranger will have less maintenance? Brightwork, yes. But it will still have all the other systems. It's not a magical boat that will give you a pass on performing maintenance duties!

Don't give up on your current docking prowess!!! You can improve with instruction and repetition. I was getting frustrated with docking when my bought my new boat but now I'm solo docking her!!! I'm so proud of myself (and my remote control for my bow/stern thrusters helps!).

If you're really struggling then hire a captain for a few hours again. Go in and out of the dock like 20 times. Who cares what your neighbors think?? That's what I did last month. There is no substitute for repetition. Some people suggested dropping fenders in the harbor and try backing maneuvers around them.....forget that. You need to go in and out of YOUR OWN SLIP many times. If you're still having problems then maybe you could talk to your marina and change your slip. Sometimes a certain slip may be much harder for a particular boat. Especially if it walks a certain way in reverse (usually for a single screw).

Good luck! If all else fails buy the Ranger! Lol. They are great boats! BUT I WOULD NOT BUY ONE BECAUSE MY DOCKING SKILLS NEED IMPROVEMENT. Buy it because you love the boat....

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote