Old 06-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #17
syjos
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I would submit that you do have a charger for your start batteries, it is that alternator. You then added a second alternator to charge your house bank.

Your setup has the advantage of being able to supply the full output from the one alternator to the thrusters while they are running. Once your start batteries are topped up however, that alternator isn't doing much.
I'm aware that the alternator charges the start battery under way.

I'm referring to a 110 volt battery charger or inverter/charger that charges the start battery while on shore power that a lot of boats are equipped with. It's not necessary to keep the start battery charged up if the start battery does not power anything when the engine is not running.

My start batteries powers the radar and autopilot while under way. I have a solenoid at the start battery that shuts the battery off when at rest.

The first alternator is a Balmar 100 amp with a Balmar MaxCharge set to deliver 60 amps. The second alternator is a Balmar 120 amp also with a Max Charge set to deliver 100 amps. Both are small frame alternators on the single Lehman.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote