Bahamas Flotilla

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
You know, one of these years, maybe 2021, we should look to organize a late spring early summer flotilla to the Bahamas. Back before June 1 for those that have limited insurance.

This would include those who have been many times, a couple of times, or first timers who just want to go with a group for their virgin crossing.

Given that we mostly have trawlers, or boats willing to cruise as trawlers, what a good way to help folks experience the islands with boats going the same speed.

Maybe go to Abaco first for those on their first crossing or have shorter time to be there, and then others could cruise on to Eleuthera and Exuma, returning on their own schedule.

Worth starting a conversation, and maybe getting some early organizing volunteers?

Greetings,
Mr. m. That's a VERY interesting idea.

200w.webp

I would be interested for sure.

Home port is right out of New Orleans have 40ft DeFever we would be definitely interested

What ETD?

Might be coordinated with a Ft Pierce TF gathering....or not.

Could be if the FP meeting was pushed back a bit into, say, early March. I'm thinking February still has too many N/NE winds and is still chilly, even in the Bahamas. Wait a few weeks and its gets better.

Greetings,
Mr. m. "... and is still chilly..." HAH! A lot better than Minneapolis.

200w.webp

We have a daughter living in Williston ND. We told her we were never visiting outside of the June-August time frame!

We have been many times but would be willing to consider a group trip. I agree that winter is not my preferred time due to winds and temperatures besides the Bahamas get busy in winter. My favorite time is May for a number of reasons. Certainly it’s a good discussion.

It's like you're reading our minds, menzies! We would be interested and the timing would work great for us. My last workday before retirement is March 10, 2021. We had already decided to leave the Tampa/Bradenton area and proceed directly to the Bahamas until hurricane season. Count us in, pending additional info.

I might actually have a boat by then. It's an interesting idea.

Dave

It might be more fun if you don’t have a boat. :)

Pretty interesting idea. We could terrorize the sailboats on the way across!:thumb:

We have been many times but would be willing to consider a group trip. I agree that winter is not my preferred time due to winds and temperatures besides the Bahamas get busy in winter. My favorite time is May for a number of reasons. Certainly it’s a good discussion.

If Watfa is cooking, I'm in and shadowing Gotcha. :dance:

Ted

Great idea. The wife and I are a definite maybe.

Ted. Watfa will definitely cook for you, Scott and the guys. However if your going to shadow me you’ll need a turbine in Very Slow Hand. :). I’ll go slow, only use one engine and drag a sea anchor. :)

Senor R T

Nope, I need a sea anchor to go slow enough for Ted to be in my shadow. :)

Greetings,
Mr. B. Ah, the age old conundrum of proper and/or appropriate nautical terminology...

I thought this "controversy" of sea anchor vs. drogue was covered in another thread whereby it was agreed that a sea anchor was deployed from the front (pointy end) to keep a vessel's bow pointed into the wind and a drogue was tossed over the stern (not so pointy end) to slow the forward progress of a vessel.

Whereas a drogue may be considered a sea anchor for the general function of slowing a vessel, it is more specifically dragged behind a vessel.

I seem to recall that a certain Johan Lindemann, Captain of the mail steamer/excursion vessel, the Gouverneur Generaal Loudon, deployed his forward anchor in order to keep his ship faceing into the tsunami generated by the 1883 eruption of Krakatoa thereby saving all aboard. A sea anchor in the truest sense of the word and NOT a drogue.

I understand perfectly why you might wish to employ a DROGUE in the potential Bahamas debacle. Mr. OC should feel honored that you think so highly of him that you would go into "drag mode" to accommodate his torpid progress.

200w.webp

Oh...Saloon.

I agree with Irv. Weather wise May would be much better timing.

Senor R T

Of course your correct, the sea anchor would be deployed from the bow which is exactly what I would need to do plus only using one engine and bouncing it in and out of gear to slow down so my dear friend Ted could stay in my shadow I go slower in reverse than forward, probably because the transom does not cut through the water well. The advantage having slow hand near is anyone within 15 miles will see the sheen. :)

Sounds like a plan

Would be interested too. Boat headed to Ft Pierce now.

We're not a fan of crowd cruising. Each captain is responsible for their own boat and crew. This is sometimes difficult when traveling in a crowd.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom