Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For a displacement hull boat, it seems kind of silly to have a 900 HP engine.

Ted

As I recall, my Nordhavn46 had a 120 HP Lugger, 1000 gallons of fuel and sails. WOT, maybe a tad over 8knts but less than 9knts.

Considering the length and weight, the boat could benefit from a much larger engine. Remember, just because a boat has lots of HP doesn't me the owner MUST use it all, all the time.

I looked and didn’t see a spec for weight/displacement. A FD boat should have 3 to 5hp per ton of displacement. Usually a boat this big would be closer to 3hp. Some have only 2hp per ton. Never seen less than that.

The boat has cleaner lines than my Willard so one would think that 5hp per ton (my W30 has 5) would be a clear abundance of power. I could easily get along w less than 5. But I don’t see and numbers on displacement.
Boats of this size aren’t overpowered like the little boats on TF. If this is it’s the first one I’ve seen.

And re the Fales that TooCoys posted assuming the engines are Perkins they aren’t 50hp. They are 36 in every boat I’ve seen. And most were overpropped so only 33hp was available.

Last edited:
Dan wrote;
“Considering the length and weight, the boat could benefit from a much larger engine. Remember, just because a boat has lots of HP doesn't me the owner MUST use it all, all the time.”

Not so.
FD boats don’t benefit from excessive power. And it would be stupid to put excessive power in this boat. By the way Dan it appears you have seen the displacement of this boat. Care to share?

Also, lightened photo shows those props are pretty tight inboard, working with one rudder.
Her keel was designed for a single prop. I wonder if that used to be a single engine boat or a custom build on a single engine hull but used two engines instead.

You guys are hard to please!

Really like the hull lines, but far too much wasted space above the deck for a private cruising vessel.

Less weight far above the waterline is a good thing in my books.

Not much there to like IMO.

I like the lack of *bling* workboat style, the ample covered aft deck for whale/wildlife/scenery photography in bucketing rain, and of course the 'artist trapped within an engineer' Gardner engine. Oh, and even you Eric must have noticed that curvaceous arse end :thumb:

That boat is more of a charter boat, not a yacht. It actually seems like it would work quite well for that purpose, although it is a displacement cruiser. Most charter boats have some degree of speed to them if they are hourly-tour boats.

Perhaps this one as a long distance scuba support vessel for work. Multi-day trips out to the islands or reefs.

That boat is more of a charter boat, not a yacht....

Ahhh, but a boat for me is a means to get somewhere interesting then go ashore to go photographing, not an end unto itself. I could happily "make do" with this vessel :D

Murray I take it all back.
Amazing how a photograph can change one’s view.

After clicking on the portside pic and seeing it larger I like the boat and most everything about her. Thanks Murray.
And re the “arse end” I like that it’s full .. not squeezed in aft like the beautiful KK 42. I like a hull w full ends like a Willard 36. But I actually like a transom stern.

I like this pic as it shows both ends of the same boat .. a W36. However the bow shown does not show how full it is. I think of the W36 as kind-of a tiny baby freighter. The side pic does show the fullness fairly well.

Attachments

• F71365E0-9106-409C-BBCC-77EE678FAB90.jpg
    F71365E0-9106-409C-BBCC-77EE678FAB90.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 84
  • E6E113F9-69AD-4797-A69A-E3DF1B04BA93.jpg
    E6E113F9-69AD-4797-A69A-E3DF1B04BA93.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Dan wrote;
“Considering the length and weight, the boat could benefit from a much larger engine. Remember, just because a boat has lots of HP doesn't me the owner MUST use it all, all the time.”

Not so.
FD boats don’t benefit from excessive power. And it would be stupid to put excessive power in this boat. By the way Dan it appears you have seen the displacement of this boat. Care to share?

While a FD boat does not want to go much above hull speed, sometimes the hp required to get there is more than others. Having some power in reserve is probably a good idea. Also, over time the hp the engine can actually produce goes down, so having excess to start with is also a good idea.

ssobol,
A full blown FD hull may not even reach hull speed much less exceed it. And there’s no need for power beyond what’s required to go at it’s design speed (usually well below HS) as most all FD vessels will never cruise at HS. 5hp per ton of displacement is actually a bit in excess. I have that and could easily do w 10 or 15% less power.

Yes “excess” to accommodate losses from hull fowling, engine wear ect is within the 3-5hp per ton rule of thumb. Excess power so one can cruise faster than design speed and do it at 30% load to minimize engine noise is not. Sound insulation is available.

A boat that cruises at HS is not a FD boat. Is SD

Last edited:
Re. Saggita:

I have seen a much larger set of images for that vessel when it first appeared for sale. I love it, personally. And for me, in our waters, the less weight and windage above the waterline, the better. It has been meticulously looked after. The gentleman who owns her has owned her from day 1, IIRC, and has really looked after her.

I would very much like to take Sea Biscuit North simply to check this boat out. Of the great many I have looked at between Melbourne and Brisbane, this one's the best fit for me and Olivia, my partner. We could not afford her before, and still can't, but I'd love to look her over.

It's time to cash in the mattress stash. :lol:

Sort of tempted but too close to home, need to get ours up there for our continued Asian adventures.

Something like that based in say....Cuba would pique my interest a lot more.
I got a bit of penchant for Havana club anejo and santiago de cuba anejo on our Vietnam adventures.

Sort of tempted but too close to home, need to get ours up there for our continued Asian adventures.

I got a bit of penchant for Havana club anejo and santiago de cuba anejo on our Vietnam adventures.
115% agree Simi! Lucky (?) I'm not 20yrs younger/silly-er.

Is that “Siam Princess” actually on the boat or photoshopped in?
Even the side boards look good (usually don’t like-um) and I even like the ports. That overhanging sunvisor would look silly on most boats but I even like it.
Maybe what’s affecting Kit L has got ahold of me too.
Oh, but if the name is actually on the boat ... don’t like that.

Is that “Siam Princess” actually on the boat or photoshopped in?
Even the side boards look good (usually don’t like-um) and I even like the ports. That overhanging sunvisor would look silly on most boats but I even like it.
Maybe what’s affecting Kit L has got ahold of me too.
Oh, but if the name is actually on the boat ... don’t like that.

Yup, and the boat has a current name..... Makes me wonder about the age of the posted photo.

You'd have to say, though, that the sun visor would be very practical when motoring into the sun... at least, until it was getting closer to the horizon. I was moving SB onto a dock yesterday, heading into a low morning sun and I would have paid for one of those right about then! They're not common, around these parts.

:thumb:

Last edited:

Attachments

• Seaton 48.jpg
    Seaton 48.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 84
De-clutter this boat! Really, there is so much stuff on the decks that you can't see much of the boat. The name, "Borrowed Horse", is interesting in its own right. Plenty of pics but none of the engine room. And it is dog friendly!

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/19...t-trawler-3554304/?refSource=standard listing

The Seaton is a very well respected, fantastically 'go anywhere' designed boat.
They dont come up for sale very often.
The price, based on the pictures, is within reason.
I agree, really needs picture of the ER and engine.

The "clutter", as you call it, is stuff for a comfortable cruise. SMILE

Back
Top Bottom