Endeavour 40/42/450 - Narrow beam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobbob

Hey all, I have read a lot about the Endeavour 44 but I do like the layout of the 40/42/450 with the full beam spanning stateroom, and the “skylounge” in the case or the latter two.

However, I do have some concerns about stability with a 16’ beam combined with the height and weight up high of these boats. Anyone have any experience in weather with these boats or a similar design? The use would mostly be typical Loop cruising but there are many open bodies of water that can get pretty choppy depending on time of year.

Thanks!

I think you're overthinking this. I had to google it to find out what the boat was and found it's a catamaran. A cat with a 16' beam should handle much more than what you are comfortable with.

My boat is a monohull with a 15'7" beam. It's wide enough that other boat wakes don't rock it and most waves don't rock it much at all.

Sea trial one before you buy and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

You could very well be right. But I don’t think a 16’ beam cat can be compared to a 16’ beam monohull in this respect.

Maybe I’ll ask it differently - wondering what are the design trade offs and handling trade offs compared to most 40’ cats, that are more like 20-22’ beam?

I can’t speak to the newer 450 boats. We have a 2004 44’ Cat Trawler, and she is very stable in most conditions. As with any cat, a full beam sea will produce some quick rolling motion, but any monohull in a beam sea will roll as well, except greater motion. You can’t beat the comfort and room, and the Endeavour are ready well built

Jack
Two’s Company
New Orleans

I can’t speak to the newer 450 boats. We have a 2004 44’ Cat Trawler, and she is very stable in most conditions. As with any cat, a full beam sea will produce some quick rolling motion, but any monohull in a beam sea will roll as well, except greater motion. You can’t beat the comfort and room, and the Endeavour are ready well built

Jack
Two’s Company
New Orleans

Jack, I am looking at the ‘44 endeavour and have many questions but mainly about fuel consumption. Have you got any numbers regarding fuel. My wife and I are looking for a loop, coastal maybe Bahamas boat and think the endeavour might be the boat for us. Any feed back you have would be aporeciated

Couple of points: first, the 2004 Endeavour 44 is 18’ 8” wide. I don’t know why the newer, longer boat would only be 16’ beam, but I would have some concern about increased roll in beam seas. Secondly, our 44 is great, very stable, tremendous room, very comfortable. With 2, 240 hp yanmar diesels, we cruise comfortably at 9-10 knots, and the fuel burn is around 5 gallons per hour, both engines. With full tanks, we can get up to 12-14 knots at around 3000 rpm, but fuel jumps to 9-10 gph. On sea trials with totally empty tanks, the surveyor got 20 knots at wide open throttle. The helm station has full visibility all around and with two hatches and front opening windshields, plus ability to open or close the full enclosure, it is very comfortable. However, since we are in New Orleans, I just installed a cabin top air conditioner for the helm station. A lot of the 44s I looked at already had this option but mine didn’t. Go take a look at one. I think you will be impressed
Jack

Back
Top Bottom