Old 06-10-2019, 07:29 AM   #6
boater3
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: tbd
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraml View Post
Hi all,

We’re about to take delivery or our new ST 44 and are very excited. Storage space seems a little light. Any suggestions on storing gear aboard — fenders, line, extra life jackets, safety gear, vacuum cleaner, fluids, spare parts, etc, etc.

We’d appreciate all the wisdom we can get.

Thanks
Quite the opposite. The ST44 has TONS of storage space. We keep a couple thousand pounds of gear, tools, spare parts, etc, on-board. I wanted to be prepared for a 3000 mile trip and I decided to leave most of the stuff on the boat. We bought air tight bins of various sizes for anything stored outside of the cabin/salon that might be exposed to moisture. All of these bins have silica packets that are dried out every 6 months. Quick overview:
- Spare fenders kept in swim platform compartment (I think we have 4 medium size and 2 large buoy (deflated) along with spare hose
- Spare docklines are kept in the propane locker
- Folding bicycles, spare power cords, fender boards, large bin of spare engine/genset parts, large bin of dinghy parts/accessories, bin of zincs, hose, buckets of cleaning supplies under cockpit starboard side.
- Spare fluids for engine (every type), containers for fuel filter change, other cleaning supplies, oil change pump, spare electrical adapters, folding table, air pump, kayak accessories under cockpit port side.
- Anchoring equipment, spare fluids, dinghy accessories, most used cleaning solutions, brushes, etc are kept on top of dri-dek under cockpit seating
- Life jackets and misc outdoor accessories are kept under fly bridge seating in sealed bins on top of dri-dek
- Tools are kept in 2nd salon cabinet port side
- Emergency equipment (i.e. pump), manuals, more tools are kept in 3rd salon cabinet port side
- Paper plates, cups, misc kitchen items are kept on shelf under sink
- More cleaning supplies are kept in compartment under sink under garbage
- All galley items are kept in galley drawers under oven, stove top, including many cooking utensils, pots, pans, glassware
- More glassware is kept in cabinet above countertop in galley
- Misc cooking items (electric kettle, french press, coffee grinder), food, etc, kept on shelf that runs above countertop to dash
- Microwave, toaster, condiments, oils, spices, breads, etc kept on port side dash
- Tupperware is kept on shelf attached to ceiling above dash
- Wine and liquor is kept in the cut out compartment behind sofa
- Misc items are kept in other compartment behind sofa
- Flag, blanket, pillows, etc kept on top of these two compartments
- Vacuum and vacuum accessories are kept under steps to cabin as is bottled water
- Guest bedroom cabinets contain spare towels, sheets, and mostly my other half's clothing/shoes in the drawers. Spare Vacuum bags and misc filters are kept under guest bed
- Guest head medicine cabinet includes tons of first aid items, sunscreens, lotions, etc
- Under guest head sink are tons of cleaning solutions, soaps, etc
- Master stateroom cabinets contain mounted safe, tons of space for hanging items, I have one cabinet for hanging, my other half keeps her stuff in the other, and I use the shelves for the rest of my clothes
- TONS of storage under master stateroom bed where we keep 200+ bottles of water, dog food, other dog stuff, spare sheets, 4 spare pillows, a printer, etc
- Spare toiletries and damprid stored under master head sink along with most used toiletries above sink on shelving and shower items kept in shower cabinet

We lived on the boat for most of last year. Had zero complaints of storage space. It was mostly a simple exercise of what made sense where. The various size bins I did measure for. I was pretty amazed how everything fit everywhere so nicely. We do keep some of our project items on the guest bed and as we install or have guests or move things off the boat the bed is cleared (kind of our holding place). If other boats of this size have more storage, I would love to see!
boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote