Hook onto a 1.25" pole?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkearney99

Guru
Vessel Name
Solstice
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
I've need to attach a bungie to a 1.25" pole and I'd like to use some sort of fitting. I don't have access to the ends, as there are welded fittings. Eventually once I find the right locations I'm probably going to have a loop welded onto them.

I'm aware there's a fitting called a hinged jaw slide, and that would probably work. But I'm wondering if there's not some other kind of fitting that would be useful. Trouble is I don't know the names for these sorts of fittings, so I'm probably not finding useful search results. Is there some other type of fitting I should try?

Greetings,
Mr. 99. What exactly are you attempting to achieve? I can't quite picture what you're asking. Attach bungee to the end? Somewhere along the length? Looped?

Greetings,
Mr. 99. What exactly are you attempting to achieve? I can't quite picture what you're asking. Attach bungee to the end? Somewhere along the length? Looped?

We do movie nights on the boat from time to time. Portable projector, screen hung between poles and bluetooth speakers for audio. Since the screen is relatively transparent we can watch from either side (granted with one side being reversed).

What I'm after is finding the right points on the poles to have a loop welded on to them. That or perhaps not bothering with having loops added at all, if I find the right solution.

These look promising as options:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TUNSR9Y
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJI2UBA

As does that Mantus unit, nice.

I struggled to find a burgee pole for our 1" 1/4 rail.

We settled on the Mantus Marine rail and have been very happy. We removed the plastic piece and attached a stainless flagpole holder.

https://www.mantusmarine.com/product/mantus-rail-clamp/
What flag holder mount did you attach to it?

That could be an interesting option for up on the flybridge too. I've been trying to find good options for cupholders and LED lights. The mounting disc on that, along with the removability, might be just the right solution.

Greetings,
Mr. 99. Since this is a beta version, how about simply using a ring that is gear clamped to your rail. Once you establish the correct geometry, have the permanent loop welded on.

What flag holder mount did you attach to it?

That could be an interesting option for up on the flybridge too. I've been trying to find good options for cupholders and LED lights. The mounting disc on that, along with the removability, might be just the right solution.
The flagpole holder was custom made for me.

For cupholders we use these and they are fantastic -

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-132-400U

Since this is a beta version, how about simply using a ring that is gear clamped to your rail. Once you establish the correct geometry, have the permanent loop welded on.

It's Bill, btw, Mr. 99 makes me think of Get Smart... but no worries, as the saying goes, call me anything you like, just don't call me late for dinner (or drinks!).

Yes, the trick is finding the right kind of 'clamping thing' with a 'ring thing' on it.

Searching online is fantastic... when you know the right terminology. Otherwise you're down the rabbit hole slogging through all kinds of completely unrelated junk.

It was only by accident that I came across something called a 'hinged jaw slide' when slogging through various bimini pole catalog pages. Sure, that's an obvious bit of hardware to consider... ONCE YOU KNOW THE NAME FOR IT.

I've got various bits of RAM mounting hardware for phones and tablets, and those could be used, but they're bulky and would have to be removed/reinstalled every time. Thus welding loops on would make it easier to stow the poles in their canvas sleeve bag without stuff protruding from them. That and make it easier to set things up when needed, without having to rummage around finding the clamps and putting them back on the right positions.

If temporary to determine permanent tie points, no cost methods might be:

> One of several hitches that tighten on poles. Simplest is a rolling hitch. A prusik sling would also work and is reusable for situations which require attaching a line to a rope, chain or pole without access to a bitter end.

> A heavy zip tie would probably work.

Greetings,
Mr. DCDC. That is exactly what I was attempting to describe with my gear clamp/ring suggestion. Move the gear clamps/zip tie around until the optimum position is found then weld on the loops. Thanks. Your description is much clearer than mine.

How about something real simple like a hose clamp and an "S" hook ? If you want something a little more fancy, cruise the plumbing aisle at Home Depot. Plumbers have all sorts of things to hang pipes from joists. If you want to make it really complicated, go to a bike store for handlebar mounting kits.

For really simplicity how about a zip tie that has a hole for a screw in it? Simple and when you don’t want it, cut it off. I have ones with and without the holes in them. The holes are so you can screw the zip tie to a bulkhead.

I'm trying to stay above the waterline of 'hillbilly contraptions' here. Most screw zip ties don't have a hole large enough for a bungee hook, but I'll rummage through my bags of them and see if I've got any ones with larger screw holes.

Greetings,
Mr. 99. From your first post: "Eventually once I find the right locations I'm probably going to have a loop welded onto them."

These "hillbilly contraptions" are to be used solely to "find the right locations". NOT for long term! They are cheap enough so that you can fiddle around and move/remove them without the larger cash outlay of hinged jaw slides or the like. THEN you can weld on the loops.

Last edited:
EMT conduit clamp or hangar? I may be misunderstanding your post.

ConduitClampBolt-jpg-300Wx300H.jpg

I think a zip tie would be pretty unobtrusive.

The flagpole holder was custom made for me.
Got a picture you'd care to share?

I'm debating what to do about our flagpole. The initial thought was to share the center socket with the center pole. Unplug the flag, plug in the pole for the fly. This would work, as in the situations when we have the fly installed we'd probably remove the flag. The flag being off the transom there gets in the way of kids using the swim platform.

I may just move the flag up to the flybridge.

For cupholders we use these and they are fantastic
https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-132-400U

How are they holding up in the sun/salt air?

Attachments

• move flag from transom to flybridge rail.jpg
    move flag from transom to flybridge rail.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 54
Got a picture you'd care to share?

I'm debating what to do about our flagpole. The initial thought was to share the center socket with the center pole. Unplug the flag, plug in the pole for the fly. This would work, as in the situations when we have the fly installed we'd probably remove the flag. The flag being off the transom there gets in the way of kids using the swim platform.

I may just move the flag up to the flybridge.

How are they holding up in the sun/salt air?

I do not leave anything out in the sun. Everything gets put away once we get back to the dock. Been very happy with how everything has held up so far.

Here are the photos of the pole holders. I have 1 on the bow for a burgee, and 1 on the upper deck for the American flag.

IMG-20190612-115946.jpg

IMG-20190612-115951.jpg

IMG-20190612-115958.jpg

Any clue what vendor made the sockets? I'm assuming you them altered to work on the Mantus mount, yes? Or is the whole thing custom?

I've got the factory pole from the transom and it has a similar looking knurled knob like that one.

But I don't think I could retrofit or otherwise 'adapt' the factory socket as it was intended for surface mounting. The wood part of the pole came out of the pole mount readily enough, so I could just mount it into something else. But if there's a change of re-using the angled factory pole it'd be worth looking for the parts.

So you clamp and un-clamp the whole assembly each time? Leaving the pole and flag plugged into it?

Any clue what vendor made the sockets? I'm assuming you them altered to work on the Mantus mount, yes? Or is the whole thing custom?

I've got the factory pole from the transom and it has a similar looking knurled knob like that one.

But I don't think I could retrofit or otherwise 'adapt' the factory socket as it was intended for surface mounting. The wood part of the pole came out of the pole mount readily enough, so I could just mount it into something else. But if there's a change of re-using the angled factory pole it'd be worth looking for the parts.

So you clamp and un-clamp the whole assembly each time? Leaving the pole and flag plugged into it?
Not sure about the mount. I will find out if they modified and existing mount.

I take the cupholders in. The clamps and mount stay in the weather and show no sign of it.

Not sure if this would help.
If only looking for a temp experimental rig lots of others ways to do it w/ clamps, etc or a split collar drilled & tapped to attach anything desired.

This one from Sailrite it 1" rail but I believe they are available for 1-1/4" as well

Attachments

• Jaw slide standoff.jpg
    Jaw slide standoff.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 50
Not sure if this would help.
If only looking for a temp experimental rig lots of others ways to do it w/ clamps, etc or a split collar drilled & tapped to attach anything desired. This one from Sailrite it 1" rail but I believe they are available for 1-1/4" as well
I'd been through some of the Sailrite pages and didn't see that stand-off variant (among many, MANY pages of google image searches). That could be useful. If not for this particular application, for others on-board. I've been looking for ways to do lighting up on the flybridge bimini and haven't found the right solutions that'd work with how the canvas and poles are currently laid out. But that stand-off one... hmmm, that with a bar to bridge across a canvas flap... might be an interesting solution. Thanks for the find.

I do not leave anything out in the sun. Everything gets put away once we get back to the dock. Been very happy with how everything has held up so far.

Here are the photos of the pole holders. I have 1 on the bow for a burgee, and 1 on the upper deck for the American flag.

IMG-20190612-115946.jpg

IMG-20190612-115951.jpg

IMG-20190612-115958.jpg

What a beautiful mount. This type is exactly what I have been looking for. Where did you purchase it. Great photos thanks for posting them.

I’m a bit confused.

You need something to attach bungees to hold up a thin material that is used as a projection screen?

Do you need to mount a pole to your rail to support the top of the screen?

???

I've been looking for the right "gizmo" for years, with little success. This thread has given me at least a couple of ideas to try. In the meantime, I've had amazingly good luck with the "hillbilly" solution of zip-ties

We do movie nights on the boat from time to time. Portable projector, screen hung between poles and bluetooth speakers for audio. Since the screen is relatively transparent we can watch from either side (granted with one side being reversed).

What I'm after is finding the right points on the poles to have a loop welded on to them. That or perhaps not bothering with having loops added at all, if I find the right solution.

These look promising as options:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TUNSR9Y
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJI2UBA

As does that Mantus unit, nice.

Here's what I did for our bow poles (this is generation 2 implementation). I have an even more difficult problem as my rails are 1-5/8". I really like the fiberglass for weight and it also absorbs some of the intermittent wind load and doesn't transfer it to the stantion bases.

We use the poles for a sun cover/awning and for movie night. I didn't want anything permanent on the rails.

A writeup is here on my project site: Bow awning with poles

Attachments

• Ron.jpg
    Ron.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20191023_115027 (Large).jpg
    20191023_115027 (Large).jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom