Burgee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that's the norm. The highest fuel prices in Washington tend to be in Whatcom County, where Bellingham is along with two of the state's four refineries. Gas is cheaper on the other side of the mountains out in the wheat fields than it is down the road from the refineries. I'm sure the oil companies have a "reason" why this is so but I don't know what it is.

Perhaps it's the same reason that when I lived there, C&H sugar was more expensive in Hawaii than on the mainland. The official rationale was that even though C&H had a small refinery on Oahu that theoretically produced enough refined sugar for local use, it didn't. So the cost of sugar in Hawaii included the cost of shipping it to the Oakland refinery, refining it, and then shipping it back. And since it was too much of a hassle to package and price the sugar from the local refinery differently than the sugar from Oakland, and to make it 'fair" to all the stores that carried C&H sugar (which was all of them), they simply charged the Oakland price no matter where the sugar came from.

So maybe that's what they're doing with the fuel that comes from the refineries that are down the street from you.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 27th of February 2012 01:50:17 AM

I'm sure the oil companies have a "reason" why this is so but I don't know what it is.

Check "city" vs "county" TAX rates.

KJ, how about we change out the ships wheel for an oil derrick. *After all, that is the industry we support.
biggrin.gif

Moonstruck wrote:
KJ, how about we change out the ships wheel for an oil derrick. *After all, that is the industry we support.
biggrin.gif
*I'll have to pass on that. I'm ok with the way it is. Perhaps someone else can take a shot a doing it.** KJ

Mark:

There is a difference between burgees and flags. Flags are flown from the transom or the flag halyards on the spreaders, or from the top of the gaff, if fitted. Burgees are flown from the masthead, if fitted, or the bow staff.
The reason most power boats fly their YC burgee from the bow staff is they don't have a mast. To follow proper protocol, you should get a mast fitted, if you belong to a YC, just so you can fly the burgee in the proper place. That leaves the bow staff for any other burgee you might carry.
Many boats fly a manufacturers club ie GB, burgee at the bow, and their YC at the masthead. My boat flies the YC burgee at the masthead, and my CCGA burgee at the bow. I don't have another burgee spot, so I hope KJ will consider making a flag of his TF burgee, so I can fly it from the Port spreader. Starboard, is reserved for my courtesy flags, US, should I go to th eSan Juans, and French, should my son-law come along.

koliver wrote:
Mark:

There is a difference between burgees and flags. Flags are flown from the transom or the flag halyards on the spreaders, or from the top of the gaff, if fitted. Burgees are flown from the masthead, if fitted, or the bow staff.
The reason most power boats fly their YC burgee from the bow staff is they don't have a mast. To follow proper protocol, you should get a mast fitted, if you belong to a YC, just so you can fly the burgee in the proper place. That leaves the bow staff for any other burgee you might carry.
Many boats fly a manufacturers club ie GB, burgee at the bow, and their YC at the masthead. My boat flies the YC burgee at the masthead, and my CCGA burgee at the bow. I don't have another burgee spot, so I hope KJ will consider making a flag of his TF burgee, so I can fly it from the Port spreader. Starboard, is reserved for my courtesy flags, US, should I go to th eSan Juans, and French, should my son-law come along.
*I seem to remember that the YC flag or Power Squadron flag is flown from the starboard spreader. *A private signal, owner present/absent flag, quarantine or country courtsey flag flown from the port spreader. *American flag flowin at the stern or off the gaff. *Commisioning pennant or other burgee/pennant can be flown from the bow or jack staff. *Anyway, that is how I have been doing it for many years. *Could be wrong, I guess.

KJ wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
biggrin.gif
*I'll have to pass on that. I'm ok with the way it is. Perhaps someone else can take a shot a doing it.** KJ

KJ, I absolutely love the Burgee and I'd fly it proudly. *For those of us with additional frustrations to express, there's always the infamous Trawler Coat of Arms.

img_77200_1_1992cacd9104a7abdfc97e700f59dfd4.jpg

Don;

My recollection is that burgees are flown where you wouldn't fly a flag. That is why I would ask KJ to design a rectangular flag that can be flown at the spreaders.
You are correct in the position of the National Flag, which should also be the largest flag aboard, usually 1" per foot of boat length. I fly one that is 48" long, as that is the closest size big enough for my 44 ft boat. That flag should never be too small. I could fly my Cdn flag from the gaff, but when "in port" the gaff is often furled, so then it should be transferred to a staff at the transom.

If your Yacht club issues a flag, fly it from the spreader. Most issue burgees, which should be flown from the truck of the main mast, or if the truck is crowded with antennae, on a pig stick, above the truck. From the Starboard spreader is an acceptable alternative, but only if there is no way to fly it from the masthead.

Of relevance (finally) to this discussion, from the USPS site, re an "Association"

Association Flags

Flag's of associations, e.g., a cruising club or a USPS district, are generally rectangular and may be worn on a spreader halyard. Many flags or signals are flown from the spreader halyards butusuallyonly one should be worn on each halyard. If your boat is rigged with one starboard halyard and one port halyard, fly the signal of superior dignity on the starboard side and the signal of lesser dignity on the port side. If you have more than one halyard on each side of your boat, fly the superior signal form the outboard starboard halyard, with other signals to its left, in order of decreasing dignity. They may be balanced, insofar as possible, starboard and port.

koliver wrote:
Mark:

*Keith, check this site for flag etiquette as well as use of the terms "flag," "ensign",*"burgee," "pennant," etcetera.

http://www.usps.org/f_stuff/etiquett.html#y-c-burgee

Attachments

• flywright.jpg
    flywright.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 122
healhustler wrote:KJ wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
biggrin.gif

KJ, I absolutely love the Burgee and I'd fly it proudly. *For those of us with additional frustrations to express, there's always the infamous Trawler Coat of Arms.

img_77207_1_1992cacd9104a7abdfc97e700f59dfd4.jpg

*OK, KJ and Healhustler, I love'm both, and will fly them both at various times. *I think the only time it will be correct to fly them both at one time is when we pull into the harbor near Healhustlers home on Key Biscayne.
smile.gif

healhustler wrote:KJ wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
biggrin.gif

img_77216_1_1992cacd9104a7abdfc97e700f59dfd4.jpg

Love it. Except one needs something stronger than a mug of brew (perhaps JD?) after paying out all the boat dollars. But then again, a mug of brew may be all that one can then afford.

KJ wrote:
*Well, ever since I "stumbled" onto this forum I have been continuously impressed by the knowledge base of*it's Members. I have had a virtual plethora of questions about everything pertaining to boating, particularly about the "trawler" design. For a lot of folks making the "jump" to a trawler can be an overwhelming prospect. If not for an increase in*size, just the overall*leap in responsibility. It's like real serious boating.* Fortunately the good folks here are more than willing to "share" what they know. With the info*I got here on the forum, and my own homework, I felt confident enough to finally buy my own boat this year.

I just thought it would be nice to give something back in gratitude to*the*generous folks here.* Also, I thought it would be fun to see*what other designs folks could come up with and*post. Besides, it's fun making your own (try it).

And regardless of how some others may feel, I wouldn't mind sitting down*for a brewski*with most of*the folks here.

*KJ
Hi Ken

Took your advise and tried one, using yours as a starting point. Taking into account of visability at a distance as others pointed out.*

-- Edited by rochepoint on Monday 27th of February 2012 05:50:54 PM

Attachments

• tfburgee.jpg
    tfburgee.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 138
Very nice. I like it.********* KJ

Is the word - burgee pronounced with a hard or soft "G"?

GonzoF1 wrote:
Is the word - burgee pronounced with a hard or soft "G"?
*Soft.

rochepoint wrote:
Hi Ken

Took your advise and tried one, using yours as a starting point. Taking into account of visability at a distance as others pointed out.*
*Thats more on the style of a yacht club pennant or burgee. Here is a photo of our YC pennant.

By the way, that is anchored in Quarter Cove, Wye River East off the Chesapeake. *One of our favorite spots.'

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Monday 27th of February 2012 07:22:01 PM

Attachments

• qtr cove weblog.jpg
    qtr cove weblog.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 230
Wouldn't it be best if the flag looked the same in mirror image so both sides appear the same?* (An "F" on one side wouldn't look like one*on the other.)

markpierce wrote:
Wouldn't it be best if the flag looked the same in mirror image so both sides appear the same?* (An "F" on one side wouldn't look like one*on the other.)
*That can be true for any printing or script. *It can be taken care of by doubling the fabric.

Tom was trying to get a new logo design. *If that had worked out, it probably would have made it simpler.*

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Monday 27th of February 2012 08:31:40 PM

A couple of very creative people with some wonderful designs. I would proudly fly either one. As far as flag, burgee, or pennant... I'll let those of you far more knowledgeable than I to figure out.

When this gets finalized put me down for 2.

According to the Five Year Book of the New York Yacht Club (1962), Yacht Routine of the NYYC, Sec. 2:

"The burgee is displayed whenever the ensign is hoisted, but may also be displayed separately, between morning and evening colors, at anchor or under-way by:
(a) Mastless yachts or single-masted yachts with bow staff, at the bow staff.
(b) Single-masted yachts without bow staff, at the truck.
(c) Yachts with two or more masts, at the foremost truck.

That should clear it up!

Happy flapping to all burgees,

George Weld
METAFORA
Sabre 36
Charleston, SC

>>ship's wheel thing is WAY overused by everybody<<

What if the Ship's wheel was replaced with a 4 bladed propellor? *Also,I like the cleaner lines without the wording. It could just have the TF/ & Prop

John

Fet-Esch

>>Somebody will want two props
biggrin.gif
*BB<<

For those who want 2 props there will be one on each side!!

John

I do like the prop idea instead of the ships wheel,the colors are great, I agree with the no .com thing.* Maybe a turtle should be involved, we are kinda slow. BB Maybe a turtle with a beer on his back?

-- Edited by belizebill on Wednesday 21st of March 2012 04:29:45 PM

I like Rochepoint/Ken's burgee design/colors, but would prefer just the "T" without the "F",*with a larger*"T", and making the three thin stripes one*wide one (making the stripe more prominent, and*perhaps moving the stripe a bit further away from the hoist to give room for a prominent "T".

It would be simpler, be symmetrical front and back, be recognizable from a longer distance, and avoid hackneyed symbols.

markpierce wrote:
I like Rochepoint/Ken's burgee design/colors, but would prefer just the "T" without the "F",*with a larger*"T", and making the three thin stripes one*wide one (making the stripe more prominent, and*perhaps moving the stripe a bit further away from the hoist to give room for a prominent "T".

It would be simpler, be symmetrical front and back, be recognizable from a longer distance, and avoid hackneyed symbols.
Just for you Mark.*

-- Edited by rochepoint on Thursday 22nd of March 2012 12:08:04 AM

Attachments

• tf.jpg
    tf.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 112
Ken, the third from the top is right on target.

Back
Top Bottom