Water leak dye.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
Looking for a DIY leak detector dye to find a water leak in my head/holding tank area. Perhaps some water-based paint?

You can buy water dye in liquid or tablet form. Used in public works application. I actually have some tablets from my past tracing underground storm drain tie-ins to outfalls. Probably the same stuff they use in holding tank overboard detection.

Ask a public works guy. Got mine from Acklands-Grainger.

For low volume, could use food coloring at a high dose.

Can also buy a cheap UV flashlight which might help with some color detection.

What type of water leak are you having? Is this rain water leaking in or head water leaking out of the system? Depending on what type of leak you have depends what to use to help find it.

What kind of toilet?

What is holding tank made of?

Connections with hoses, PVC pipe or combination?

The trouble with dyes is then you have a clean up job in addition to fixing the leak.

I find it helpful to use strategically placed bits of paper towel or tissue. Taped in place, if movement is an issue. They'll deform when they absorb water, making for an obvious marker. Then use the remaining dry part to swab up the rest. Brown paper towel also works. But stuff like colored construction paper should be avoided as most aren't colorfast, leading back to the original clean up problem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom