Post application paint care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonfish

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Traveler
Vessel Make
Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
G’day! We recently had our hull painted with Interlux Brightsides Sapphire Blue (final coat was applied two weeks ago). We’re back in the water and needing to wash off two months of boat yard dust/dirt, but are concerned about affecting the new paint. Somewhere in the reaches of my mind I remember you’re not supposed to use soap on new paint for a period of time?

I’ve emailed Interlux, but was hoping for some real world advice/experience. Thanks!

Attachments

• DC0A865C-5673-4977-B510-F093C9B3A32D.jpg
    DC0A865C-5673-4977-B510-F093C9B3A32D.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 96
Interlux technical support says its ok to use a Dawn dish soap but to work in small areas and rinse thoroughly. We’re going to power wash the flybridge/upper deck to at least rinse off the dust, leaves, etc. But we’ll wait for a rainy day before using soap which would run out scuppers and down the hull sides.

Thanks, we're quite pleased with the color, too!

Brightsides takes a while to fully harden up. I would give it a month or so.

My boot stripe and the stripe around the top of the flybridge are done in that paint. I have washed it with a variety of different things and found nothing has harmed it, though the first time was after at least a year, so it was well cured. I also have a small area that was painted with the same paint, but in white, with the same comments. Both colours show brushmarks more than I like.

After almost 25 yrs I am going to change to Petit Easypoxy, likely a very similar formulation and a close match in colour. The only reason for the change is supply. Harbour Chandler had the Petit, not the Interlux.

I think you will like the easypoxy. It is easier to get a good result when applying. I would suggest rolling and tipping it. A 4" foam roller works well.

I think you will like the easypoxy. It is easier to get a good result when applying. I would suggest rolling and tipping it. A 4" foam roller works well.
I just painted my Minto dinghy with Interlux Brightsides on the outside and Petit Easypoxy on the inside.

I'm now an Easypoxy fan. Easier to use, covers well, with less runs, sags, and holidays.

Although they are both good paints.

My mix was due to color choices.

Just finished repainting my name boards - both sides and stern, with Pettit Easypoxy white gloss - roll and tip - turned out great! and new name has been applied :thumb: I Think I will use the Easypoxy on the topsides also - that's going to be a fun job - might hold off til next spring when it's cooler down here. Indoor job coming up - new toilets and lines - Raritan Marine Elegance per the Head Mistress's advice. Had planned on replacing the holding tank also, but have discovered the existing 40 gal tank is fiberglass. Sorry for the thread drift.

Last edited:
No prob on the thread drift... The painters had an extra can of Easypoxy "Fire Engine Red" that they used on our boot stripe. We'll see how three coats of that properly prepped and applied works at the waterline.

Regarding the hull, we are definitely going to give it until at least the fall before specifically washing/waxing it.

On a chuckle, I used brightsides on my underwater scooter. It was literally dragged over beach rocks for years and while it took its scratches I was always amazed at how durable it was over the years. With the way this stuff is repairable, It really made me question the utility as compared to a two part poly.

I redid some door jambs last year with easypoxy because it’s a known color match to my Tolly. I’d use either of these products again in a heartbeat. Just learn to tip them off and walk away. Do NOT try to fix things before drying, not even one brushstroke more.

Both products harden up a ton, so be very very careful for awhile. But hey, if you scuff it, you can feather in a repair. Great stuff. Looks awesome.

Really like the off white there.

Back
Top Bottom