How to check oil in my transmission?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve91T

Guru
Vessel Name
Abeona
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
Is this a vent or the dipstick? I can’t find anything that looks like a dipstick.

I’m sorry for the dumb question. I’m sure someone will point it out and it’ll be obvious. But we’re getting ready to head out and I can’t find the damn thing.

Attachments

• 773706D2-7009-4B81-8323-A9CB2C0F9ED4.jpg
    773706D2-7009-4B81-8323-A9CB2C0F9ED4.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 71
Looks like a vent to me.

Just took these...any ideas?

Attachments

• 2FC97FE6-86FE-48B8-A9E6-F60AFC3B8B56.jpg
    2FC97FE6-86FE-48B8-A9E6-F60AFC3B8B56.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 2BAFE433-FF63-440B-93C7-23852AFA036B.jpg
    2BAFE433-FF63-440B-93C7-23852AFA036B.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 123
Second picture, bottom left. Just to the right of that small hose clamp.

Yeah, bottom picture at the very bottom just to the right of the hose clamp. Is that a loop?

I thought that thing was a lifting point. Maybe not. I’ll give it a twist in a few and let you guys know.

Are those PRM transmissions? Mine have a socket welded to the plug that has a dipstick on the bottom of the plug. The first photo is a vent.

Second picture, bottom left. Just to the right of that small hose clamp.

Once you find it, paint it yellow (or a color of your choice, ummm, errr, any color but red) so you don't forget.

Here is a photo of my transmission. The dipstick has a socket welded to it. It is just to the left of the curved oil cooler hose.

Attachments

• 9D0D1BEF-89E9-40E0-BE75-83BC38786D8B.jpg
    9D0D1BEF-89E9-40E0-BE75-83BC38786D8B.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 107
I think I found the bolt that is the dipstick. It’s in the same place as Comodaves and the bolt looks worn. I bet that’s it. I’ll remove it in the morning and see what I see.

I never thought it’d be so difficult to find a dipstick!

I think that is why they welded sockets on mine, so you can just put a rachet on it and loosen the dipstick. Unfortunately they put a 1/2” drive socket on one transmission and a 3/8” drive socket on the other. Would it not make sense to use the same size drive on both???

I think that is why they welded sockets on mine, so you can just put a rachet on it and loosen the dipstick. Unfortunately they put a 1/2” drive socket on one transmission and a 3/8” drive socket on the other. Would it not make sense to use the same size drive on both???

Haha. That’s hilarious. Great idea, terrible execution.

You have to love POs, give you something to keep you busy. Also makes you say Hmmm.

What oil do you run in your PRM transmission? PO was using 30 weight but I saw somewhere that it should be 15W40.

Here you go.

Attachments

• Transmission.jpg
    Transmission.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 59
What oil do you run in your PRM transmission? PO was using 30 weight but I saw somewhere that it should be 15W40.

Sorry Comodave but this is where the classic response is valid. Dont take me too negative.
Dont think, READ and follow the docs.

Perhaps an example of Engineer vs End User?

Found them! Thanks guys. Never thought the dipstick would be an unassuming bolt.

Attachments

• E6A3B023-34A5-4DEE-9AC0-8B7674C4791A.jpg
    E6A3B023-34A5-4DEE-9AC0-8B7674C4791A.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 42
Hark, another problem solved via the vast knowledge of the folks on this system.

Hark, another problem solved via the vast knowledge of the folks on this system.

So true. Everyone asks me how I know how it works on cars, boats, houses. I don’t actually, but the internet does!

So was the oil level ok? First time you checked it?

So was the oil level ok? First time you checked it?

Yep it was fine in both. First time I’ve checked. They were checked during the sea trial when I bought it end of last year. I’ll be checking them more often. Kinda figured they were like your car transmission, you really don’t check often unless you see a leak.

Sorry Comodave but this is where the classic response is valid. Dont take me too negative.
Dont think, READ and follow the docs.

Well I would read the docs IF I had them, unfortunately the PO didn’t have owners manuals for most of the equipment on the boat. They had been using 30 weight oil so I have continued using it but thought maybe someone had better info.

Checking more frequently would be good, especially if an oil cooler is installed.

Yep it was fine in both. First time I’ve checked. They were checked during the sea trial when I bought it end of last year. I’ll be checking them more often. Kinda figured they were like your car transmission, you really don’t check often unless you see a leak.
Nope...most have salt water cooled coolers so you are checking for water intrusion (milky) as much for low level.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom