Burgee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Hey guys,

I was dinkin' around on the computer the other day and put this little ditty together, just for kicks.***** KJ

download.spark

Attachments

• burgee.a.jpg
    burgee.a.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 100
I like it, it is the first burgee I might really fly,never found a yacht club flag I liked

Yes. I like it. Great colours. I would order one...

We aren't active at all in the boating club in Bellingham we belong to, mainly because we live so far away and are unable to get up there for the monthly meetings. Plus my schedule is such that we have not been able to attend any of the club cruises for several years now. But of all the club burgees we've seen, we do like theirs a lot. Just a simple seabird on a pennant.

Some time ago we designed our own flag for our boat based on the second photo below but with the bird flying the other direction. We both like birds as well as simple designs and and this particular bird has great significance with regards to the person our boat is named for. Now if my wife can just find the time to make it......

The TrawlerForum design above is okay but I don't care for the web address on it. *Makes it look to me like a magazine ad.

Attachments

• burgee.jpg
    burgee.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 119
  • tropicbird 3.jpg
    tropicbird 3.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 124
Marin wrote:The TrawlerForum design above is okay but I don't care for the web address on it. *Makes it look to me like a magazine ad.
*Very attractive.* I have mixed emotions about the .COM part.* In one sense it is part of the formal name as Inc is of a company name.* But in another it does look like an ad.

So maybe the .com could be in smaller letters.

-- Edited by JD on Sunday 26th of February 2012 07:01:24 AM

Looks nice, but I don't like the .com part - and it would be way to small for people to see anyway.
I am sort of partial to more of a red/white/blue color scheme - but, I am no position to talk, since I didn't take the initiative to even design a burgee!
But YES - I would buy and fly the one you designed, looks very professional.

Redux

download.spark

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 26th of February 2012 10:56:56 PM

Thanks, like I said, I was just messin' around on a cold winter's day, waiting for summer to get here.***** KJ

KJ, start making and selling those, and you will be buying a larger yacht before you know it.
biggrin.gif

It's better without the .com part, but I think the ship's wheel thing is WAY overused by everybody. There has to be a more unique logo out there than that.

Marin wrote:
It's better without the .com part, but I think the ship's wheel thing is WAY overused by everybody. There has to be a more unique logo out there than that.
*As expected.

Geeze dude, you need to lighten up. It was just a fun thing.

If ya don't like it, don't look at it. KJ

Old Stone wrote:
KJ - Very, very, nice. Very, very professional. One of the nicest burgees I've seen. This one I would fly.
*I second that.* I'll buy one but I'll need to wait a while to fly it until we have a proper boat to fly it from.

Geeze dude, you need to lighten up. It was just a fun thing.

I know that, but you put the design up there so I assumed you wanted input. Which is what I gave you. If you don't want comments on your design tell people you don't want comments. I'm not going to tell you your design is nice if I don't think it is.

I think it's--- as we say in my business-- a good start. I like the color and the TF treatment. The wheel is predictable and boring and the .com looks like an ad. That's my input. Do with it what you want.

-- Edited by Marin on Sunday 26th of February 2012 02:24:56 PM

I agree with Marin and will even go further.* The lettering and icon will be unreadable/unrecognizable at any distance.* Need something recognizable at least a couple of boat lengths away.

markpierce wrote:
Need something recognizable at least a couple of boat lengths away.
Interesting factoid that is sort of on topic based on Mark's comment.* I have always preferred the "Red Ensign" that served as Canada's national flag prior to the red and white maple leaf flag.* But a few years ago in a conversation with someone from Canada, I learned that one of the things Canada did when they decided to create a new national flag to represent their independent status was test the designs in a wind tunnel.* The goal was to create a design that would retain its unique recognition no matter how violently it was being whipped around by the wind.* Apparently the maple leaf flag meets this requirement.

-- Edited by Marin on Sunday 26th of February 2012 07:30:43 PM

markpierce wrote:
I agree with Marin and will even go further.* The lettering and icon will be unreadable/unrecognizable at any distance.* Need something recognizable at least a couple of boat lengths away.
*No matter the design, it would probably be recognized only by TF members.

Moonstruck wrote:
*Not unlike a secret handshake.

-- Edited by markpierce on Sunday 26th of February 2012 07:59:33 PM

markpierce wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
*Not unlike a secret handshake.

-- Edited by markpierce on Sunday 26th of February 2012 07:59:33 PM

*That's next.
handshake.gif

Old Stone wrote:
KJ - Aren't ya glad you just tried to be a nice guy !!!!
*No good deed goes unpunished.

KJ wrote:
Redux

download.spark

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 26th of February 2012 11:13:13 AM
I like it !!* It would be*a good idea to develope one. *I*would for sure buy*and proudly display it.* It's a hell of a lot better than the*burgee the Port gave me!! (Thanking me for the 35 years of paying them $400+ bucks a month moorage.)

Larry B

Now can we talk about the protocol to be followed when* flying our new burgee?* :hungry: :boo:

FlyWright wrote:
Now can we talk about the protocol to be followed when* flying our new burgee?*
It's simple Al:

"Members belonging to a yacht club or sailing organization may fly their club's unique burgee both while underway and at anchor (however, not while racing)."

Just be sure and take it down before you start the race!!*
biggrin.gif

Larry B

I believe the yacht club burgee will have provenance and fly from the masthead. The TF burgee may then fly from the bow staff, or any other staff on the centreline. The flag halyards are for flags, so no burgee is to be flown there.

-- Edited by koliver on Sunday 26th of February 2012 10:48:33 PM

Old Stone wrote:
KJ - Aren't ya glad you just tried to be a nice guy !!!!
*Well, ever since I "stumbled" onto this forum I have been continuously impressed by the knowledge base of*it's Members. I have had a virtual plethora of questions about everything pertaining to boating, particularly about the "trawler" design. For a lot of folks making the "jump" to a trawler can be an overwhelming prospect. If not for an increase in*size, just the overall*leap in responsibility. It's like real serious boating.* Fortunately the good folks here are more than willing to "share" what they know. With the info*I got here on the forum, and my own homework, I felt confident enough to finally buy my own boat this year.

I just thought it would be nice to give something back in gratitude to*the*generous folks here.* Also, I thought it would be fun to see*what other designs folks could come up with and*post. Besides, it's fun making your own (try it).

And regardless of how some others may feel, I wouldn't mind sitting down*for a brewski*with most of*the folks here.

*KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Monday 27th of February 2012 12:04:14 AM

koliver wrote:
I believe the yacht club burgee will have provenance and fly from the masthead. The TF burgee may then fly from the bow staff, or any other staff on the centreline. The flag halyards are for flags, so no burgee is to be flown there.
*Now you've done it!*... The club burgee is normally flown from the bow staff on powerboats.* Not belonging to a club, I usually fly the builder's burgee.* The primary function of this flag position is to indicate wind direction.* Miscellaneous flags are flown from the spreaders.* My boat as well as most sailboats have radio and/or lightning rods, etcetera*on the top of the mast preventing use of mashead flags. I'd fly a TrawlersForum flag from either left or right spreader.* Typically, I've seen sailboats fly their clubs' burgees from the starboard spreader.

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 27th of February 2012 12:22:39 AM

Attachments

• anchor fist time.jpg
    anchor fist time.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 112
markpierce wrote:koliver wrote:
*Now you've done it!*... The club burgee is normally flown from the bow staff on powerboats.* Not belonging to a club, I usually fly the builder's burgee.* The primary function of this flag position is to indicate wind direction.* Miscellaneous flags are flown from the spreaders.* My boat as well as most sailboats have radio and/or lightning rods, etcetera*on the top of the mast preventing use of mashead flags. I'd fly a TrawlersForum flag from either left or right spreader.* Typically, I've seen sailboats fly their clubs's burgees from the starboard spreader.

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 27th of February 2012 12:19:44 AM

Now, Now. . . Remember the rules.
confuse.gif

"Sailing vessels may fly the burgee from the main masthead or from a lanyard under the starboard spreader on the mast. *Power boats fly the burgee off a short staff on the bow."

But I think the boys from Oz got it right!!*
biggrin.gif

"The Gin Pennant is still in regular use by Commonwealth Navies, such as the Royal Australian Navy (RAN). Within the RAN it is common practice, whilst in port, for junior officers of one ship to attempt to raise the Gin Pennant on the halyard of another ship, thereby forcing that ship to put on free drinks for the officers of the ship that managed to raise the pennant. If, however the junior officers are caught raising the pennant, then it is their ship that must put on free drinks within their Wardroom. Usually this practice is restricted to Commonwealth Navies; however, prior to increased force protection, RAN officers have successfully raised the Gin Pennant on a number of units in the USN."

Here flying my nation's flag at the stern, the builder's burgee on the bow staff, and CruisersForum burgee from the port spreader.

Attachments

• looking at you.jpg
    looking at you.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 110
Is that an oil refinery behind your boat and if it is can you buy direct from the manufacturer and save?

Marin wrote:
Is that an oil refinery behind your boat and if it is can you buy direct from the manufacturer and save?
*Yes it is.* No you can't.* On the opposite (southern)*shore there is Contra Costa County with the highest number of petroleum refineries in the state of California.* *Nevertheless, the price of gasoline is the highest in the lower 48.* Bugs me that the Shell station immediately*adjacent to the Shell refinery in Martinez has high, market prices.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom