Anchor out on Lake Okeechobee?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I’d like to make it all the way across the lake today, but I won’t make it to the Port Myaca lock before 5pm. I see an Active Captain anchor icon there outside the lock but just wonder if anyone here has done that.

Looks like the weather will be settled tonight.

The lock has been a pass through but don't know if they still close the lock gates at night.

Last edited:
Oh, hope so. That would simplify things!

I would call the lock. I have seen sailboats anchored east of the lock on the east side of the bridge. If you have the time you could get to St Lucie dam and anchor.

I called the lock. They close at 5 today. Guess I’ll anchor outside.

I’m trying to get to Lake Worth by tomorrow.

I called the lock. They close at 5 today. Guess I’ll anchor outside.

I’m trying to get to Lake Worth by tomorrow.

At least weather looks good with SE winds.... have a great nite!

Taking longer than I thought. Looks like we may be to Myaca around 9:30. A little night cruising! [emoji15]

You can tie up on the pilings at the entrance to the locks too

:socool:

I might have to do that. We won’t get there till 9:30 or so at my current rate and I don’t know if I will be able to see where to anchor.

What pilings are you talking about exactly?

Right outside the lock there are groupings of pilings intended for barges and such. Me, I would rather anchor clear of that stuff if the winds are going to be 10kt or less.

Oh OK gotcha. Yeah those things are hard to tie up to in my opinion.

I decided not to anchor out on the lake. Saw some thunderstorm chances pop up and didn’t want to risk it. Went to Rowland Martin Marina in Clewiston instead. Interesting crowd at the bar!

This is coming over the lake now. Supposedly 45 mph gusts. My wife would have been very mad at me! [emoji51]

IMG_6120.jpg

Tied up safe an, sound at the marina, throwing back a few with the locals, good move.
When in doubt, if there is a watering hole nearby, always include it in your plans.

:socool:

Good choice, it is too bad its not karaoke night, you would love it. What's your cruise speed? Your time line didn't make sense. What's your draft? On your way out of Clewiston you will pass the shallow part of the trip.

We cruise at 6.5 to 7.

I keep hearing the channel coming out of a Clewiston is the shallow part. Any more details I need to know?

Last edited:
We cruise at 6.5 to 7.

I keep hearing the channel coming out of a Clewiston is the shallow part. Any more details I need to know?

My track from Clewiston has me in the center of the channel until getting into deeper water. In the morning, there are lots of bass boats coming and going. Stay in the center of the channel and let them go around you as they draw much less water.

If you meet another boat and have to move to starboard, slow to idle until you're back in the center. If another boat wants to overtake you, tell them you're not moving out of the center of the channel until you reach deeper water (constrained by draft). You will be fine until you allow yourself to give up the center of the channel, so don't.

Ted

My track from Clewiston has me in the center of the channel until getting into deeper water. In the morning, there are lots of bass boats coming and going. Stay in the center of the channel and let them go around you as they draw much less water.

If you meet another boat and have to move to starboard, slow to idle until you're back in the center. If another boat wants to overtake you, tell them you're not moving out of the center of the channel until you reach deeper water (constrained by draft). You will be fine until you allow yourself to give up the center of the channel, so don't.

Ted

Great advice!

I decided not to anchor out on the lake. Saw some thunderstorm chances pop up and didn’t want to risk it. Went to Rowland Martin Marina in Clewiston instead. Interesting crowd at the bar!

This is coming over the lake now. Supposedly 45 mph gusts. My wife would have been very mad at me! [emoji51]

View attachment 89729

I saw that storm sweeping across the lake last night and immediately wondered what your plans were to handle it. Sounds like you made the best of the evening. :)

That was some skinny water coming out of Clewiston!

And to make it extra sporty, because that seems to be how I roll, my new alternator belt I installed a few days ago started slipping (smelled burned rubber). Slowed down immediately but couldn’t shut it down since it was in the shallow part. Finally got to a spot that opened up and anchored out and tightened up my belt. I have a spare in case this one is ruined but it seems to be holding up OK for now.

Always an adventure on the Bijou it appears. [emoji30]

IMG_6121.jpg

Last edited:
You rolled with it. ��
That’s a beautiful photo. Looks like a great day to be crossing the Lake.

I saw that storm sweeping across the lake last night and immediately wondered what your plans were to handle it. Sounds like you made the best of the evening. :)

We did not get much wind at the dock, but we were protected by the big lock walls I think. The boat got a good rinse!

The approach to that Rowland Marina was super shallow and narrow since the water is so low. I saw like 6” under my keel at one point.

We only made it an hour out of Cape Coral heading to the Franklin lock last night before that storm became an issue. I started looking for a marina and found pinchers. Reviews said good food, great drinks. That’s all I needed to hear.

We didn’t get close enough to the storm to get the rain, but it sure was windy. Heading back out today. We’ll see how far we get.

Attachments

• 003B8574-6F56-40B6-B674-F3FBD457B9CE.jpg
    003B8574-6F56-40B6-B674-F3FBD457B9CE.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 2FAA2FFB-435F-45E1-9FF0-CC1ACAA028BE.jpg
    2FAA2FFB-435F-45E1-9FF0-CC1ACAA028BE.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 53
  • FC44D4D4-1B01-44E0-AFFB-5D18A5FCC940.jpg
    FC44D4D4-1B01-44E0-AFFB-5D18A5FCC940.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 56
Nice! Keep us posted.

It was pretty shallow after going through the Moore Haven lock where you turn right.

Also shallow coming out of the Clewiston lock all through that channel getting out to the middle part of the lake.

Also super shallow coming to the Mayaca lock. Hug the greens on your port side.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Roland Martins is an experience, sugarcane farmers with a gun and a Fishing pole singing cowboy songs.

Nice! Keep us posted.

It was pretty shallow after going through the Moore Haven lock where you turn right.

Also shallow coming out of the Clewiston lock all through that channel getting out to the middle part of the lake.

Also super shallow coming to the Mayaca lock. Hug the greens on your port side.

Have fun!

Thanks for the heads up. I draft 3.6. You?

Is 8kts ok or do they really want us doing idle speed?

We are just west of Sweetwater.

Attachments

• 8D201B9A-34ED-49E9-BD0B-774E5D0F36FB.jpg
    8D201B9A-34ED-49E9-BD0B-774E5D0F36FB.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 62
Many of those signs refer to outside the channel. Some signs have seasonal limits and may have different limits for in and out of the channel. Need to have a pair of binoculars handy.

Ted

I draft 4’

Made it to Moore Haven last night. Nervous about the crossing tomorrow since it’s so low. We’ll just take it slow and make sure we’re in the center of the channel.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom