Bilge pump wiring standard color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lou_tribal

Guru
Vessel Name
Bleuvet
Vessel Make
Custom Built
Hi folks,
While changing my bilge pump I am also rewiring it and have a question regarding standard wire colors. I know that the positive “should be” brown for bilge pump and I am using yellow for all dc negative aboard.
However the pump has 3 wires for positive automatic, positive forced manually and negative. What would be the color for the manual override?

My current pump has a brown with white line for this and looks like there is no ancor wire with this color, my new pump wire is white.

Any advice?

L

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. So, you've already thrown away the instructions huh?

200.webp

The ABYC color code for pumps is brown. If you want to go with their color codes brown is what to use.

You don't mention what the three colors on the pump are. I assume it would be brown, brown with a stripe and black.

Black is obviously ground (goes to your yellow). Technically it doesn't matter whether brown goes to float switch or manual switch. In either configuration it will work the same way. The pump usually marks which is intended for which.

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. So, you've already thrown away the instructions huh?

200.webp

Not at all my dear Mr RTF, I know how to wire it, I wonder about color for wiring between the pump and power source/remote control.

L

The ABYC color code for pumps is brown. If you want to go with their color codes brown is what to use.

They do not differentiate the two feeding wire (auto vs manual). I would like to use brown for the automatic but a different one for manual so to distinguish between the two.

L

You don't mention what the three colors on the pump are. I assume it would be brown, brown with a stripe and black.

Black is obviously ground (goes to your yellow). Technically it doesn't matter whether brown goes to float switch or manual switch. In either configuration it will work the same way. The pump usually marks which is intended for which.

On the pump the 2 wires are black for the negative, brown for the auto and white for the manual override.

L

I choose to go with yellow for neg, brown for pos on the automatic feed and red for pos on the manual feed.

Case closed.

L

Back
Top Bottom