View Single Post
Old 06-02-2019, 05:29 PM   #6
Seevee
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Nah, it's been going on for decades. Luckily, I had a great broker in Newport Beach CA when I bought & sold there in the 70's & 80's, but spent some time post-retirement writing magazine articles, some on boating, while preparing to go cruising & waiting for my late skipper's retirement clock to run out (luckily we'd planned on following our dream, so he got 20 good years post-retirement). While researching articles interviewed & interfaced with various members of the boating/cruising community, including brokers, & was endlessly amazed by the abundance of ignorance exhibited, not only about boats in general, but sales techniques & practices. Not solely to pick on yacht brokers, I've discovered the same lack of relevant knowledge about money displayed by bankers, & about property displayed by Realtors--& in some important instances, about medicine by physicians. Caveat: always do your own research.

Imp,

So true... seems like there's a lot of folks that get into the sales and brokering spots because they perceive it to be an easy way to make a lot of money and don't have to work much. And one can do that, once they have a lot of experience and are extremely organized, but they still have to communicate and give good information which rarely happens. A lot of folks work sales and brokering jobs part time, because they have no investment or overhead to cover every month. A lot of sales people have no offices and just operate out of their car, or affiliate with a marina or other business with not much more than a desk.

Brokerages in the real estate business, used car business, airplane business and RV business are very similar. The big expenses are on the seller.

So, a lot of folks don't take it seriously and think because they've had a boat ride, they're a qualified broker. Just talked to a guy like that..... he finally admitted that he was a used RV salesman and has been in the boat business for 4 months. Do you really want that guy selling your $500K trawler?

Then they have these extremely one sided contracts that they expect you to sign. And then they want to control everything.

Don't think so.

===

The ones I've been happy with have given me everything I've asked for....and if I wasn't satisfied, could bail anytime. And we both did well. But there just aren't a lot of them out there.