Did I lengthen my boat??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Al

Guru
Vessel Name
'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Make
1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
So, the question is: by increasing the length of the boarding step extend the length of the boat?. Is the purest among us going to agree, as the harbor masters do, or is the actual manufactures measurements to be the holy grail.

Attachments

• Swim step.png
    Swim step.png
    137.7 KB · Views: 1,304
Before anchor pulpits became almost the norm, the hull length was the length charged. The swim step was ignored. At least on the Salish Sea. Then marinas began to not fit the boats in the slips because a 38xx covers more like 42 feet and is going to hang out of a 38’ slip at one or both ends. When I add my 9’ Livingston I add another foot or so. But the boat is still a 38. I just use 42-44 feet of dock.
So, yes, your boat got longer.

In my opinion your boat didn’t get any longer, but your marina fees increased.

The more important question is: is it a boarding step or a swim platform?

We board via the swim platform when we are swimming, other than than I never have.

Al,
Sorry but get a grip. You’re boat is as long as it is and re what you state you made it longer. The swim step and the dinghy sure is nice though.

I think even the CG cracked down on this. Now a permanently attached swim platform counts as overall length. That is supposed to be why an AT34 is now an AT365. Manufacturers don't necessarily object, as they can now advertise a longer boat without changing a thing.

Who knows?? Just be prepared. Our hobby/lifestyle isn't cheap. If you have to pay more then so be it.

Al,

When did you get a bigger boat?
Does it fit in the same slip? Does the Harbor Master want more money?
Looks like a good place to store a cooler full of AA!
Cheers!

Start with the builder's OAL. That is the documented length. If you add something that makes the boat longer, swim platform, that is between you and the harbor master.
The documented length aka, the builder's OAL doesn't change.
To truly utilize the swim platform, you need to find someone willing to sleep on the swim platform.

You need to put some more context into this. If this is about your slip charge, well I’m dumbfounded. The only two people who can answer that question is you and the person that you entered into a contract with, which by definition is why you have the contract in the first place because opinions differ and the two f you have an obligation to each other to define the agreement you are entering into before you wind up in a disagreement that cant be solved. Nobody else’s opinions matter.

If what you added to your boat makes it a better boat, then you win. If not, the harbour master wins.

So, the question is: by increasing the length of the boarding step extend the length of the boat?. Is the purest among us going to agree, as the harbor masters do, or is the actual manufactures measurements to be the holy grail.

Yes.

Menzies: The more important question is: is it a boarding step or a swim platform?

I fretted for several hours deciding between the two! As there is a new access through the stern to the item in question, and as there is no side access save the portable stool dockside, away has a high step for the first lady. so access away is via this step. (We drop the RIB stand off on the side involved), so your question is valid and answered by individual desires. :thumb:Thanks, AmJ

Mikala:
In my opinion your boat didn’t get any longer, but your marina fees increased. Fortunately we still come in under the granted length allowed. however, away at visiting ports this maybe the case although the main visitiong port hadn't counted the length including the RIB on the then, weaver location.:)

Al,
Sorry but get a grip. You’re boat is as long as it is and re what you state you made it longer. The swim step and the dinghy sure is nice though.

Eric, you missed the obvious point of the posting!! Tom on "Alaska Sea-Deduction" arrived in Ketchikan and after a pleasant lunch, took the time to show me how to post photos. As I was learning and in conversation, mention was made on your past efforts to assist. Now perhaps, I can participate in the great "Anchor" debates complete with photos.:eek::D Cheers!!

Al,

When did you get a bigger boat?
Does it fit in the same slip? Does the Harbor Master want more money?
Looks like a good place to store a cooler full of AA!
Cheers!

Sorry Chief,:facepalm: your traveling buddy Tom, absconded with the total supply of Alaska Amber. I can not recall the tune title he was humming, but I recall a verse that included "99 bottles of beer on the wall, and the chief gets none at all: or some sort of similar snarly comment.:lol:

All, this was posted to show the new swim step/boarding platform with a swing away' Get a home' OB motor. and to demonstrate posting of a test photo. Thanks for all the comments. Good folks here.:flowers:

Al- Ketchikan (soon to adjust the information on the TF moniker )

Love it! Al you are such a pot stirrer!!! This could almost beat the anchor threads.....maybe not!!

We own our slips here and have a pretty strict regulation about not hanging out more than 2 feet......Hence about the biggest boat you can put in a 42 foot slip (the largest here) is about 40 feet giving 3-4 feet for platforms, pulpits etc...

I've got lots of elbow room in my 38 foot slip......OR the potential temptation of buying a larger boat...:)

We own our slips here and have a pretty strict regulation about not hanging out more than 2 feet......Hence about the biggest boat you can put in a 42 foot slip (the largest here) is about 40 feet giving 3-4 feet for platforms, pulpits etc...

I've got lots of elbow room in my 38 foot slip......OR the potential temptation of buying a larger boat...:)

Wanna buy a 75ft slip?

Heh, size matters. If it's showing off it's LOA including everything, including dinghy over-hang. If it's a dockmaster then it's waterline.

In fairness though, it's how ever much you really need to safely store the boat. It's asking for trouble having your bow pulpit/anchor sticking out past the end of your slip into the fairway.

Last edited:
My understanding is that if the stern platform can be removed, it is not considered part of the length for official reasons. Many vessels have in the recent past had the their hulls extended to the back of the swim platform to give a longer hull length ( and presumably slightly better performance) and also as has been mentioned, the ability to say your vessel is worth more on the market because it is two feet longer.
Where it apparently makes a real difference is when the vessel is hovering around the 65' range; the rules change if the vessel is longer than 65'. Having said that, I don't know what the specific rule changes are.

I’m going to weld a nice big platform on my boat which has none. I won’t be calling any agencies to have the documentation changed to reflect a longer length. That would be stupid, they charge by the foot after all.

Does anybody else have to slalom their way down the slips while walking to their boat because anchor pulpits extend over 1/2 the way across the walkway? Grrrr...

Last edited:
Which marina in FL? How much? What does ownership grant the owner?

Waterways Marina, Aventura FL

You get to pay a monthly 'condo fee' and metered electric and pay property tax. You can see the ICW from the basin. The nearest cut is Bakers Haulover.

Back
Top Bottom