Old 05-30-2019, 09:57 AM   #7
Codger2
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbraga View Post
I have a swim platform but the dink may be to large for it. Any ideas???????
I had a 48' yacht fisher with a top mounted davit. It was a giant PITA to use frequently so I understand your displeasure with your present set-up. My present boat has a bow mounted davit which also is a PITA! Can't launch the dinghy with the big boat bow in or stern in! I have to literally back the boat out of the slip to deal with the dinghy. Currently, the dinghy is parked right behind my cruiser an tied & locked to the swim step. Much better but still a pain to move it elswhere when wanting to use the cruiser. After much study and viewing others solutions, I'm convinced that I'm going the route of a swim step mounted davit with double arms. (Yes, I know it will limit my trolling capability which I don't do much of these days anyhow.)

Both the Nick Jackson & Roskelly/OLsson companies make stern mounted davits in 500 & 1000 lb capacities.

I'm convinced that "all things considered", stern mounts are the way to go. (I'll bet the 1000 pound model will handle your 13 footer with no problem.)

https://www.nickjacksonco.com/

Depending on your swim step size & weight capacity, a "compression mount" will definitely work.

Builders of Boat Davits - Pioneers of Transom Davit Technology
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stern Davit.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	89485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compression Mount.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	89488