OTA TV Reception and LED lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sum escape

Vessel Name
Sapphire
Vessel Make
Tiara 53 Fly
Perhaps others have had this experience. We just finished installing a Glomex OTA antenna on our electronics mast. Picture quality is excellent! Well except when we flip on the LED lights I installed (bulbs only) throughout the interior and exterior lighting of the boat. Picture quality deteriorates or even goes to no signal when lights are on.
Is there anything I can do short of replacing LED bulbs/fixtures? Others experience?

Glomex & LEDs

We just finished installing a Glomex OTA antenna on our electronics mast. Picture quality is excellent! Well except when we flip on the LED lights I installed (bulbs only) throughout the interior and exterior lighting of the boat. Picture quality deteriorates or even goes to no signal when lights are on.
Is there anything I can do short of replacing LED bulbs/fixtures? Others experience?
WOW! I also had a Glomex OTA installed recently and like you, have excellent reception. I have not, however, seen the TV with my LED salon lights on!:confused:

Attachments

• Salon TV.jpg
    Salon TV.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Stateroom TV.jpg
    Stateroom TV.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Try to narrow down which LED's. If only a few, then mix 61 Fair Rite snap ons will likely tame these down. Applied to the LED power wire, near the fixture.

Well known problem with cheap LED drivers. As DD says, ferrite filters may help, or switch to a different brand of LED.

No problems here with Glomex and LEDs. Almost all of our LEDs -- about 40 I think -- are from marinebeam...

-Chris

Well known problem with cheap LED drivers. As DD says, ferrite filters may help, or switch to a different brand of LED.

Happened to me too...Cheap Chinese LED's the culprit. Switched to LED's from Marinebeam and problem solved...
Pay a little more for the good stuff..

I have experienced similar signal loss w LEDs.
I had cheapos and started to flicker & quit. I switched to higher quality ones from SuperBrightLEDS w built in control circuitry. No more flickers but still have TV issues at times.

No problems here with Glomex and LEDs. Almost all of our LEDs -- about 40 I think -- are from marinebeam...
Same here...no problems with cheap Chinese LEDs.

Attachments

• IMG_0520.jpg
    IMG_0520.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0497.jpg
    IMG_0497.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 47
I'm glad I found this thread. I did not know LEDs would interfere with OATV.

Update re OTA signal problems w LEDs
I just finished running 12V house battery power to our TV so we could watch it when disconnected from shore power or not running gen. (Previously ran w 12V power supply from 120V AC)
Surprised but ran last night on batty power and did not experience any of the LED interference / signal loss.
Limited test data but was pleasantly surprised.[emoji16]

Edit: The other change I did was to eliminate power to a digital/analog converter box as the TV is digital already. Just unplugged the converter box for now.
I wondered if it would pass the signal through w/o power but seems to work fine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom