N475

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jon H

Vessel Name
Backchuck
Vessel Make
28' Crozier / Hunt
Anyone on the forum considering the new N475?

If so, what vessel would you be coming from?

We are starting the search for our retirement vessel, this one
checks most of the boxes.

Looking forward to seeing one in person some day.

Is this the new Nordhavn twin that is coming out?

Edit, Oops, just realized you posted this in the Nordhavn section, so question answered.

Last edited:
Anyone on the forum considering the new N475?

If so, what vessel would you be coming from?

We are starting the search for our retirement vessel, this one
checks most of the boxes.

Looking forward to seeing one in person some day.

The N475 is the new stretched N43 (same beam). It should be a great boat with longer aft deck and salon. At $1.2M its alot of money for its size. You may want to explore a used N43.

JohnT

Is this the new Nordhavn twin that is coming out?

Edit, Oops, just realized you posted this in the Nordhavn section, so question answered.

I believe the new twin will be the 41. Nordhavn indicates production in Turkey, molds are being built now. They say watch their website for the reveal soon.

I believe the new twin will be the 41. Nordhavn indicates production in Turkey, molds are being built now. They say watch their website for the reveal soon.

Right. There is the 475 which is a stretched 43. The first finished boat is either done, or nearly done. I can find out today if I remember as I'm at the mother ship for a few days.

The 41 is a whole new design, computer modeled, CNC cut molds (or maybe plugs, I'm not sure), and built in Turkey. Looks like a really good entry point into the product line, and priced at $699k for a very well equipped boat. I think all you would need to add is a tender.

Right. There is the 475 which is a stretched 43. The first finished boat is either done, or nearly done. I can find out today if I remember as I'm at the mother ship for a few days.

The 41 is a whole new design, computer modeled, CNC cut molds (or maybe plugs, I'm not sure), and built in Turkey. Looks like a really good entry point into the product line, and priced at $699k for a very well equipped boat. I think all you would need to add is a tender.

I remembered ( a rare thing). The first 475 is built and ready to ship from Asia

n475

I remembered ( a rare thing). The first 475 is built and ready to ship from Asia

The boat is planned to arrive the west coast in case anyone on this side is in interested in viewing it in Dana Point, Ca.

The boat is planned to arrive the west coast in case anyone on this side is in interested in viewing it in Dana Point, Ca.

Good to know. I didn’t ask where it was going.

Not to detract from the 475, but I think the 41 is going to be a real winner.

Thanks for all the reply's - I was told early July for the 1st 475 to arrive USA.

Thanks for heads up on the 41.

Wow. Twin 75 hp Kubotas. Very interesting choice. Were their choices limited in selecting such a small engine? Does John Deere make anything that small?

I never thought a new Nordhavn could be had for sub $1M. Very cool indeed.

We have Kubota (driven) generators on our pilot boats and they have
proven to be very reliable engines and easy to work on when needed.

Wow. Twin 75 hp Kubotas. Very interesting choice. Were their choices limited in selecting such a small engine? Does John Deere make anything that small?

I never thought a new Nordhavn could be had for sub $1M. Very cool indeed.

My friend has a small John Deere garden tractor that has a 30-40 HP diesel which is actually a Yanmar. My understanding is that JD doesn't make diesels under 100 HP. Or at least did not in the recent past.

Cant say we are in the market for a N475. I have a N55 (N55-40) and have nothing but good things to say about Nordhavn! If you are on the west coast, ask for James Leishman in Dana Point.

It will be interesting to see how the 41 is received. While it appears from the literature to be an ocean going passage maker, it is incredibly small inside. There are certainly a lot of features for the price, but has the passage making segment of boaters out grown this size boat. 20 to 30 years ago a 40' boat would certainly be in the well accepted range. Now, a 40' boat seems like a Willard 30 twenty years ago. To me, 40' seems more the coastal cruiser, and you can get a lot more usable space in other 40' boats.

We shall see.

Ted

Last edited:
Hi Ted,

Just another datapoint, my wife and I have a larger Nordhavn, and love it! BUT, I'm quite interested to see how the smaller Nordhavn performs crossing oceans too, because less boat means less work - and I'm all for less work these days ?

The 475 looks interesting as now their smallest boat. Yes, they don't show the 41 on their site so I'll follow their lead. I don't think of the 41 as a Nordhavn, but something from Nordhavn Europe. I don't know yet the capabilities of the boat or it's true target customer. I think of it as less boat though which could mean less capable in rough seas or less reliable or any other less. Time will tell, but to me it's a different line entirely.

This was posted a while back on the Dreamers Group by Dan Streech

INTRODUCING THE NORDHAVN 41

The Nordhavn name is synonymous with ocean crossing capability and with the new smaller model we committed ourselves to achieving the highest rating possible – CE Category A for unlimited ocean use. We found the earlier model 34 was impractical to design to meet this objective. The profile would have had to be so limited for reduced weight and windage that interior accommodations would be adversely affected and limit the yachts appeal. So we set out to design a new Nordhavn to meet Category A and the rules dictated a larger vessel of 41 feet and a waterline of 40 feet.

This new design will not only meet present day Category A requirements but will set new standards for capability and efficiency. With a waterline length five feet longer than the Nordhavn 40, reduced beam and displacement along with the efficiency of free hung propellers and rudders, this new model will perform beautifully with a large centerline keel providing fantastic directional control and protection from grounding.

The standard Nordhavn 41 will be complete with twin engines, bow thruster, generator, inverter, reverse cycle air conditioning, davit, windless, anchoring gear, active fin stabilizers, Combo Washer/Dryer, extra deep freezer, electronics including radar, autopilot, chart plotter, VHF, AIS, sounder and more.

Our goal with this new Nordhavn is to offer the finest Passagemaking 41 footer ever built. A turnkey, worldwide capable vessel that is easy to operate, safe, handsome and a value that will prove irresistible to the adventurous that want to cruise and explore in a compact yacht with almost unlimited horizons.

I doubt you will see anyone actually crossing an ocean in the 41. I think the A rating is more an overall statement of sea worthiness that is expected in a cruising vessel meant for more adventurous boating. In this respect, I don’t think it’s any different than a Fleming that is A rated, but will never cross an ocean. Totally different boats in most other respects, but I mention only to illustrate this particular feature.

Whether it’s for you or not, lots of people want Nordhavn-like boats, but want a smaller, more affordable entry point. I think that’s where it fits. I don’t see it as a departure from the core values, unlike the CP57 and the motor sailor.

Sorry, I don't buy the Streech propaganda. He's been known to play fancy and loose with his proclamations and promises. I'll buy when actual boats are examined and used. A very different boat, built in a very different yard, using the Nordhavn name.

I know 40' Nordhavn's have crossed oceans, but I go back to the 2004 crossing and presenting that as a rallying cry of the success of all the boats ignores the reality of the problems boats had and the uncommon amount of support available to them.

This new endeavor of building a smaller boat in Turkey I firmly evaluated as "To Be Determined." It may be an incredible boat for crossings of shorter expanses, but none of us know how it will be at this point. We do know it's considerably less expensive and generally that equates to less boat.

N41

I doubt you will see anyone actually crossing an ocean in the 41. I think the A rating is more an overall statement of sea worthiness that is expected in a cruising vessel meant for more adventurous boating. In this respect, I don’t think it’s any different than a Fleming that is A rated, but will never cross an ocean. Totally different boats in most other respects, but I mention only to illustrate this particular feature.

Whether it’s for you or not, lots of people want Nordhavn-like boats, but want a smaller, more affordable entry point. I think that’s where it fits. I don’t see it as a departure from the core values, unlike the CP57 and the motor sailor.

Perfectly said.

Our 44' Riva is A rated. Only one problem on ocean crossing. It only has a range of 210 nm or so.

What % of Nordhavns actually cross oceans? Wonderful vessels but for 80 to 90% of the owners much like a Jeep that never goes off the pavement. That is OK, buying a Nordhavn for its capability and class is a dream fulfilled for many. But quite possibly overkill for many buyers once the euphoria wears off.

So, as TT says the 41 should be a real winner. It checks virtually all the boxes for the hundreds of real buyers in the 40’ market. Small diesels, twins, wet exhaust, pedigree, great Nordhavn support and able to safely take a couple far away for a long cruising season.

Also, finding moorage for a 40’ vessel is much easier than a plus 50. The notion that Turkish yards are substandard is silly. It all comes down to design, good machinery and Nordhavn training to ensure top notch QA QC. As usual, Nordhavn is ahead of the curve and able to execute as few other builders can.

Congrats.

The notion that Turkish yards are substandard is silly. It all comes down to design, good machinery and Nordhavn training to ensure top notch QA QC. As usual, Nordhavn is ahead of the curve and able to execute as few other builders can.

Congrats.

The notion isn't that a Turkish yard is substandard. The notion is that a new design built in a yard they've never used is likely to have issues they don't encounter building the existing boats in a yard they've used for years. It's familiarity and experience. The other part of the notion is it's a less expensive boat and that could mean less expensive materials and quality issues.

The big thing is this is a new boat in a new yard to them and none of us have any idea how good it will or won't be. Even good builders struggle doing different things. Just look at all the issues Nordhavn had building the 120. Nightmare. Supervising quality in a new plant far away is a challenge. I think to automatically assume because it's got the Nordhavn name it's a great boat is just not reasonable.

I'm a huge fan of Westport, but you tell me they're going to build an aluminum boat in Italy and I'm not going to equate it's quality to their normal builds. I'm going to take a wait and see attitude.

N475 Arrived

Hull number one arrived DP on Tuesday last week after being off loaded in Ensenada, Mexico the day prior. Mary and I stopped at DP on the way back from a few days in Santa Barbara and was able to see the boat up close. Since the owners were aboard we didn't want to look inside but the exterior lines of the boat didn't disappoint us. This is a sleeker looking Nordhavn and a little more modern looking with its new PH black windows. Nicely done and will cost around $1.3M fully equipped.

John T.

Hull number one arrived DP on Tuesday last week after being off loaded in Ensenada, Mexico the day prior. Mary and I stopped at DP on the way back from a few days in Santa Barbara and was able to see the boat up close. Since the owners were aboard we didn't want to look inside but the exterior lines of the boat didn't disappoint us. This is a sleeker looking Nordhavn and a little more modern looking with its new PH black windows. Nicely done and will cost around $1.3M fully equipped.

John T.

Does it tempt you?

Thanks for the update.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom