View Single Post
Old 05-29-2019, 05:34 PM   #8
syjos
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Pic 1. Fiberglass cloth cured. Edges to be trimmed next. You can see where the roof has been widened. The roof was widened at the sides to offer rain protection over the PH side doors and the front overhang was extended to provide more shade for the PH front windows.

Scarfed in plywood under back window where it was rotted.

Pic 2. Two additional coats of epoxy applied.

I use a notched squeegee to lay thick coats of epoxy to fill the glass cloth weave and to have a sandable build up of resin. I don't sand between coats. I put down two thick layer and sand that. This save at least two days and two coats from not rolling thin layers with a foam roller. And avoid sanding.

I wanted to mention that on this project, I'm using System Three Silver Tip resin. I've been using WEST resin since the 70's and got pretty tired of washing off the blush and sanding between coats. With the Silver Tip resin, there is no blush to wash off and you can recoat within 72 hours without sanding. It also handles better in cold weather and can be used down to 35 degrees F.

Even though I am now using System Three Silver Tip Epoxy instead of WEST epoxy, I use the various WEST fillers when making filets and patching large holes. I still follow all the principles, methods and techniques described in "The Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction". It is the definitive bible for composite wood boat construction and repairs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	89470   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	89471  
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote