JohnEasley
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
John,

Yes, It sounds like that's the issue. You must confirm when you engage NAV mode.

With the AP in STBY mode, I would select a saved route on the Garmin and steer toward the first or next waypoint indicated by the magenta line. I would then engage the NAV mode and acknowledge a course change to begin. Subsequent course changes over 10° (or greater if you have adjusted the Nav Change Limit) do require a confirmation.

Every automatic course change is also accompanied by an on-screen warning and an audible alarm, even if a confirmation isn't required.

If you are actually following a route and miss the course change confirmation, the system will continue on the original course of the last leg and switch from NAV mode to AUTO mode. You will then need to place the AP back to STBY mode, hand steer back toward the route, re-engage NAV mode and confirm any course change to continue.

This is actually a safety feature to prevent unexpected violent turns when a large course change is required at higher speeds. It can be a PITA if you miss the alarm and confirmation though.
Thanks, Larry. I can't wait to try it out this weekend.
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote