Weather Underground???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigsfish

Guru
Vessel Name
Gotcha
Vessel Make
Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Being a computer illiterate I need help. On my iPhone and I pad I had little squares of Weather Underground tiles for various places for maritime use such as Biscayne Bay, Jupiter to Fla Keys out 60 miles, ect. It would give a forecast of wind and seas for about a week. Now when I try to go to these tiles I get an error that it isn’t available.

I loved this info as it would list areas all along the coast. It was free but I would be happy to pay.

Any ideas where they went of how to find them again.

TIA

Might help us if you gave us the name of the APP.

If you're looking for a good app for your phone, try WINDY. Accurate weather info for just about any part of the world. Free.

Jack is correct Old Dan, weather underground. Sorry. Best thing is it covered all the Marine weather locals.

Thanks Steve.

Being a computer illiterate I need help. On my iPhone and I pad I had little squares of Weather Underground tiles for various places for maritime use such as Biscayne Bay, Jupiter to Fla Keys out 60 miles, ect. It would give a forecast of wind and seas for about a week. Now when I try to go to these tiles I get an error that it isn’t available.

I loved this info as it would list areas all along the coast. It was free but I would be happy to pay.

Any ideas where they went of how to find them again.

TIA

My old Weather underground links started showing an error state in the last couple days as well. Not sure what is happening here...

sum. I’m glad it’s not just me, now to find out how to get the info back.

Thanks

It’s “wunderground.com”

I’ve had it for quite a long time.
It’s been unresponsive for several days.
Hooray IT’S BACK. Comes up just fine.
It’s the best weather source I know of and am very glad it’s back.

I have 5 or more locations bookmarked and refer to them regularly.

Last edited:
Thanks ERIC, maybe there is hope for me. I get “Error 404: Page Not Found”. Maybe they favor the west coast. :)

If you're looking for a good app for your phone, try WINDY. Accurate weather info for just about any part of the world. Free.
Agree.
Wxx3 here on TF introduced me to this and it has many advantages. You can set / select many custom features so it provides what you are interested in.

I have so many many weather apps. They all work costal when in range of LTE or a WiFi that lets me in.
One I 'enjoy' is My RADAR. I have the Pro version, aka paid for. I forgot how much I paid. I do like the RADAR feature. It suggests/tells me, amongst other things, wind direction and approaching storms and hurricanes.
Always nice to know when it is time to kiss my ass goodbye.

Last edited:
I also have a lot of weather apps like Windy, ect but this from Weather Underground followed the NOAA weather reporting areas with info for a marine application. It was fast and accurate. It is my desire this is a temporary glitch and will start working soon.

Might help us if you gave us the name of the APP.

I also have a lot of weather apps like Windy, ect but this from Weather Underground followed the NOAA weather reporting areas with info for a marine application. It was fast and accurate. It is my desire this is a temporary glitch and will start working soon.

There are also a number of weather apps that utilize the weather buoys.
I have suggested these be modified to automatically determine your position and the next buoy in line towards your destination. Alas, no one listens to me SMIRK

There are also a number of weather apps that utilize the weather buoys.
I have suggested these be modified to automatically determine your position and the next buoy in line towards your destination. Alas, no one listens to me SMIRK
Dan, How do you post multiple quotes from other members?:confused:

Irv, I use Weather Underground a lot.

For tropical disturbances, Track the Tropics is pretty good too.

Any in depth questions, please call me, would love to say hello anyway.

Dan, How do you post multiple quotes from other members?:confused:

Use the little double parens button, next to the quote button, for the first several posts you intend to quote... then use the quote button for the last of that series.

E Voila!

-Chris

It’s not underground but wunderground.

Walt I almost asked that a week ago when I couldn’t do it.
But the way I quote sidesteps that issue. I just say “Dan wrote; ...... and the “Codger wrote; .... ect ect.
But I couldn’t figure out how the others were doing it.
But thanks Ranger.

Irv, that was just a hyperlink to www.weather.gov. That is the site you are looking for. Find your region, click on it and then it will give you the marine forecast for that region. I used to have this site bookmarked on my computer and it no longer works. They obviously changed the pathway to get there so all previous hyperlinks no longer work.

Also another site I use and highly recommend is www.ndbc.noaa.gov. That will give you links to the offshore buoys and that is what is ACTUALLY HAPPENING. So you have a forecast...and then you have actual. Both government websites.

Edit: THis will be more helpful ref NDBC. This is my link in my area but just use the arrows on the border to get where you want. The blue squares are the actual NDBC moored buoys that usually provide the information you need. All others are private and questionably maintained.

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/maps/WestGulf.shtml

PS...all of the other apps are just a different user interface for the same information. It is not like WindyTV has their own meteorologists. They just use the NOAA forecast then make it look all pretty and ****.

Last edited:
I agree that wunderground.com is a useful site but I always wondered why they use a name that was also used by a domestic terrorist group. Was it for attention, a implicit nod of support, irony, ignorance or something else?

PS...all of the other apps are just a different user interface for the same information. It is not like WindyTV has their own meteorologists. They just use the NOAA forecast then make it look all pretty .

Yup...I find Windy Quite helpful... Particularly valuable on our Albermarle loop trip a few weeks back. Allowed us to forecast winds a few days out and plan our cruise appropriately..

Use the little double parens button, next to the quote button, for the first several posts you intend to quote... then use the quote button for the last of that series.

E Voila!

-Chris

Thanks Chris. I didn't know either.

Scott. Do your links still work?

Al. Bouys give the current condition but not a forecast. If you find out where these links can be used on my iPad please let me know.

Thanks.

BTW both you guys have to show up for the Ft Pierce gathering this year.

Cheers

Irv, not sure I ever got the marine forecast from the WU app. Web page yes.

If I want marine weather I just Google " marine forecast for XXXXX"

BandB

Your a smart dude by I can’t find “more” on my iPhone.

Scott that’s too easy. LMAO

Thanks BandB, I found the problem, this only works with the iPad and not iPhone, it’s now installed on the Pad. :)

Back
Top Bottom