Alternative Swim Platform Materials

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well since I do like the slat look I'm going to go with Ipe. Seems I have two construction methods to choose from:

1** Epoxy and glue each slat to the adjoining one and or epoxy together and epoxy and screw a batten under the platform that will ride on the struts.

2** Epoxy together and run a threaded rod through the whole assembly and then add epoxied and screwed battens riding on the struts.

The problem I see with the rod is lining up the holes as most of the work would have to be pre-drilled as well as the loss of strength where the holes are as my platform will be a finished 1" thick. I would think the rods would need to be at least a 1/4-5/16"

Alternative Swim Platform Mterials

Carey wrote:psneeld wrote:Carey wrote:Boathommy wrote:
Carey,
I didn't get the impression that he was planning on willing his boat to the Smithsonian. . .? There is a tendency on these sites for all responses to tend to the ultimate solution to every problem. In a perfect world with unlimited funds we could all agree.

I have been a woodworker for 40 years. I would never suggest an option that I wouldn't do myself.

If you are knowledgeable about plywood, you know that your example was of the extreme negative end of the scale. I suggested he go to a "real" lumberyard and get at least 5 ply AC. saving, literally, hundreds of dollars. would your solution be better? Possibly.

Personally, I have never and never will be able to afford the "ULTIMATE" solution.

I stand by my post
You know what they say about opinions!!! Personally, I don't see plywood of any sort as a solution that I would use, but choosing ACX over marine plywood is not a good choice in many ways. You can do it the Walmart way or the right way. Your call.*

-- Edited by Carey on Friday 24th of February 2012 09:17:25 PM

-- Edited by Carey on Friday 24th of February 2012 09:18:28 PM

*Many expensive yachts have fiberglass platforms.* No one will see the core and your opinion on plywood is just that.* Many pro boatbuilders know when to use the good stuff and when you dont have too...

Calling someone's idea (not the final product)*the WalMart option could lead into name/boat calling and would be a shame for you. You have no idea how the final product will look, function or last.

Thanks sailor of fortune..another voice of reason.

*Golleeeee guys. I didn't mean to offend you, only to make the point that cutting corners is not always a good idea. In my mind, the little extra expense on the front end would be paid back with a better finished product and more longevity. Personally, I would hate to expend the energy to craft a nice looking product, only to have it fail a short distance down the road.

And given your sensitivity on this simple sharing of opinions, I recommend you definitely not go "off the deep end".

*Well..ya did... and ya don't even have the facts straight about quality of products for their application.*

Plus...it's not about sensitivity it's about posting a way of doing things for others to learn how others may do it.*

Some of us have older more beat up trawlers and putting a stainless/teak platform would be idiotic given the state of the rest of the boat without a $50,000 makeover worth as much as the boat.

So a simple to construct, nicely finished, epoxy, ply*and glass, properly done made from materials that WILL DO THE JOB AS WELL AS OVERPRICED/NO BETTER PRODUCTS is hardly a "Walmart" job.....it just makes the most sense.

-- Edited by psneeld on Saturday 25th of February 2012 01:35:27 PM

Mark:

The original construction, slat style, is glued and screwed, one slat at a time. The piece I added, I epoxied (only). I had one failure where the epoxy let go, which I was able to repair without taking the whole thing apart, so I would recommend screws. I have also had a failure of a joint in the old part, more difficult to repair, due to the presence of screws.
Epoxy doesn't like to adhere well to teak unless you get all, really ALL of the natural oil off with acetone before applying the epoxy. I don't know whether Ipe is as oily, but if you assume it is, you can't go wrong.
So start with the outside edge, screw the pieces to the back side of it and work your way towards the transom. Good luck. Post pictures.

I think all of us tend to offer advice based upon our own comfort zones. Alternative Swim Platform Materials was the title. I made my recommendation based upon my comfort with steel work and the powder coating process itself. Nothing else. Some folks have differing comfort levels.

That said, name calling and stereotyping either as cheap or rich is counterproductive to the thread.

JMHO

CPseudonym wrote:
I think all of us tend to offer advice based upon our own comfort zones. Alternative Swim Platform Materials was the title. I made my recommendation based upon my comfort with steel work and the powder coating process itself. Nothing else. Some folks have differing comfort levels.

That said, name calling and stereotyping either as cheap or rich is counterproductive to the thread.

JMHO
what's the secret to powder coating aluminum in the marine environment?

seems like most powder coated aluminum sooner or later bubbles...and I mean within 5 years or significantly less...yeooow!

most guys I know require epoxy coatings sprayed.

Old Stone wrote:
DaddyO - I'm staying out of this one, but have to make one comment. I was very surprised to hear IPE suggested. I am NOT saying not to use it, but when we started using it on some of our buildings in the city, no carpenter or wood shop wanted to work with it because it is so hard it eats saws, blades, and drills alive, so check into that. Our other problem with it was nothing would stick to it ( I just don't know about epoxy with it), and we never found an acceptable finish for it either. Nothing would soak into it, it is so hard. One thing, though, it is the only wood in NYC that meets all fire codes on it's own with no coating. Again, I am not saying don't use it, just ask some carpenters what they think about it before you buy. Just wanted to mention my experience with it, not debate anyone.
*Good advice Old Stone...heard the same...great for many projects but have heard the same so it would surpass my definition of a simple project!

CPseudonym wrote:
I always thought if I find myself in this position I'd seriously consider 3/4" aluminum plate cut to shape(slots and all) and have it epoxy powder coated the color of your choice. Wouldn't be a budget saver but the maintenance should be severely curtailed...

CPseudonym wrote:CPseudonym wrote:
I always thought if I find myself in this position I'd seriously consider 3/4" aluminum plate cut to shape(slots and all) and have it epoxy powder coated the color of your choice. Wouldn't be a budget saver but the maintenance should be severely curtailed...

*I'm that unfamiliar...but when I say epoxy sprayed...definitely not powder coated. What's epoxy powder coating compared to what many marine metals are coated with?

Alternative Swim Platform Mterials

I'm clueless as to the materials of the Coot's swim platform beyond the stainless steel tubing.* Didn't order it so received without cost.* If it becomes a maintenance "nightmare," I'll remove it.

-- Edited by markpierce on Saturday 25th of February 2012 05:29:54 PM

Attachments

• coot stern.jpg
    coot stern.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 133
  • coot not leaning.jpg
    coot not leaning.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 128
They have some wonderful expanded metal frames that we use for building docks and piers. Aluminum frame and this stuff would be awesome. If anyone reads this and is interested in what it is i'll find out, pm me.

markpierce wrote:
I'm clueless as to the materials of the Coot's swim platform beyond the stainless steel tubing.* Didn't order it so received without cost.* If it becomes a maintenance "nightmare," I'll remove it.

-- Edited by markpierce on Saturday 25th of February 2012 05:29:54 PM
*Looks like a nice setup...if I didn't think my platform was going to somehow become part of my dingy storage...your design would be pretty high on my list (especially with marinas hitting you up for every inch these days!)

swampu wrote:
They have some wonderful expanded metal frames that we use for building docks and piers. Aluminum frame and this stuff would be awesome. If anyone reads this and is interested in what it is i'll find out, pm me.
*problem with aluminum on the East Coast/Gulf Coast...unless painted white it would burn your feet in the summer (unless it's so close to the water you can keep it wet...)

psneeld wrote:So a simple to construct, nicely finished, epoxy, ply*and glass, properly done made from materials that WILL DO THE JOB AS WELL AS OVERPRICED/NO BETTER PRODUCTS is hardly a "Walmart" job.....it just makes the most sense.

-- Edited by psneeld on Saturday 25th of February 2012 01:35:27 PM

We can agree to disagree. No worries. However, I wouldn't necessarily assume that you have the supreme knowledge in all matters. It won't serve you well in the long run.*

CPseudonym wrote:

JMHO
*Apologies. The Walmart reference was made simply as a comparison between barely suitable and much better. Oooops!!!

Old Stone wrote:
DaddyO - I'm staying out of this one, but have to make one comment. I was very surprised to hear IPE suggested. I am NOT saying not to use it, but when we started using it on some of our buildings in the city, no carpenter or wood shop wanted to work with it because it is so hard it eats saws, blades, and drills alive, so check into that. Our other problem with it was nothing would stick to it ( I just don't know about epoxy with it), and we never found an acceptable finish for it either. Nothing would soak into it, it is so hard. One thing, though, it is the only wood in NYC that meets all fire codes on it's own with no coating. Again, I am not saying don't use it, just ask some carpenters what they think about it before you buy. Just wanted to mention my experience with it, not debate anyone.

Ipe is a hard wood. I had best results using a 40 tooth blade in the skill saw and slow feed. Drill bits would burn out if pushed hard. Use a slow feed for best results. Never tried epoxy but had great results with Gorilla glue. The glue is still holding on our exterior deck built 2005.

YMMV

Rob*

37' Sedan

I posted some pics earlier on my swim platform, but didn't comment on the epi issue.* The first pic below showed the remains of the old platform after Irene finished with me.* The next couple show in process, sistering in epi that was salvaged from damaged boards at our marina (free). I did insert battens under the platform where the brackets would be, and planned the "isstering" joints to fall on the battens.

The original platform was attached with long thru-bolts into the transom, but we had to cut them off to remove the platform, and was a lot simpler installing the battens for the rebuild.

I didn't have much choice trying to bring all the materials back to a "wood" finish so I painted it, with non-skid in the top coat of gloss white paint.

The epi didn't seem that hard to work with ( I have a pretty good blade in a 10" table saw) but face planing, drilling and routing weren't unusually difficult.* One caution is to use a dust mask working with the stuff: it creates* sawdust that's very fine, almost like talc.

Attachments

• dsc00033.jpg
    dsc00033.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 133
  • dsc00017.jpg
    dsc00017.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 132
  • dsc00024.jpg
    dsc00024.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 145
  • dsc00037.jpg
    dsc00037.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 158
It might be interestin to know which of the members replying to this question have actually done any of the things they suggest??

Are you recommending from experience or opinion?

I built the swimstep I described, the way I described it.* It worked.* It was reasonably priced and attractive and matched the boat.

I also repaired the Honduran mahogany slatted style swimstep on my 36' Chris Craft Corvette.* It matched the boat.

I have used Ipe' on residential projects.* It is hard and hell and hard on tools, that said i wouldn't hesitate to use it for a swimstep if the style of the boat warranted it.*

There are a lot of woods in common use today that were "junk wood"* when the exotics were plentiful and reasonably priced.

I have been a carpenter since August 1, 1971.* I wouldn't ever recommend something I WOULDN'T DO FOR MYSELF OR A CUSTOMER.

Your mileage may vary, fair winds and following seas,

thom

psneeld wrote:swampu wrote:
*problem with aluminum on the East Coast/Gulf Coast...unless painted white it would burn your feet in the summer (unless it's so close to the water you can keep it wet...)

Here is the link or picture, I don't know what is going to post. *This is what I was talking about. *It's some plastic stuff.

aqua-dek-panel.jpg

Paul,

Can you post a name or manufacturer?

Do you all think that swim platforms MUST have slots? My fiberglass platform does not but before I refinish it I was wondering if I should cut in slots. Any naval architects in here?

Slots aren't absolutely necessary but I'm sure there's a bit of engineering that has to be considered...if the supports and the swim platform are strong enough to lift a fair amount of water...then no...but I put some slots in the one I just made to be handholds...a place to tie to, I think it improves the looks and it can't hurt when shedding water.

Current recycled milk botttle project avec les slots. Slots mean less platform weight, pass water through and provide handholds IMHO.

Attachments

• DSCN1020.jpg
    DSCN1020.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 240
David, do you have a blog where you detailed your project? I would like to replicate your result.

CNC cut Star Board would be very easy to do. 1.5" Star Board would be strong enough if properly supported and last forever. It's available in many complimentary colors.

starboard.jpg

Navagator_plasdeck_5-09_swim.jpg

Or you could laminate in strips and then cut. There are some great examples out there.

Teak%20Swim%20Platform.jpg

David, do you have a blog where you detailed your project? I would like to replicate your result.

No blog. Sorry. Have a few pics of the project if you want them. Also, Sarah at Plasteak can send you a pdf file of DYI instructions.

Thanks for the link David. I'll PM you my email address later when I get to my computer.

Pictures of PlasTeak swim platform I put together last fall all installed, with staple rail/granny bar that can be removed after pulling one quick release pin.

Next project is davits. Installed the lower mounts on the platform before we splashed on Tuesday.

Attachments

• PlasTeak2.jpg
    PlasTeak2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 224
  • PlasTeak3.jpg
    PlasTeak3.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 212
  • PlasTeak4.jpg
    PlasTeak4.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 206
Really nice job, David!!! I quite enjoyed building mine last year out of Ipe

ForumRunner_20130606_164058.jpg