The Bahamas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonstruck

Guru
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Since learning that I will not be welcomed in the PNW, I just started getting ready to go back to the Bahamas-----a consolation trip I suppose.

So, I just ordered the new updated charts, a new customs decal, and I will be ordering the forms to make Troy an international traveller. *May will be here before we know it. *

Instead of snow covered mountains, fog, and rain we will have to make do with anchoring and snorkeling in gin clear water, walking beaches on uninhabited islands, and visiting pituresque villages. *We may even put a line over and catch fish for dinner. *

We will just have to try and make do.

Can't wait!
biggrin.gif

Aren't you on the Tennessee River now? When are you leaving? Where do you start learning what to do to goto the Bahamas?

GonzoF1 wrote:
Aren't you on the Tennessee River now? When are you leaving? Where do you start learning what to do to goto the Bahamas?
*Yeah, Tom, I live on the Tennessee River. *Moonstruck, however, has never been to Tennessee. *Nor did my last cruiser. *The boat is docked at Ft. Pierce, FL about 4 miles from a good inlet, and about 70 miles from entering the Little Bahama Bank. *It's about 160 miles to stopping at our first inhabitated island, and clearing customs.

To start learning about the Bahamas I suggest you get Steve Dodge's "Cruising Guide to the Abacos". *I just gave my old charts to a friend to look at and plan from, or I would send them to you. *I suggest that the Explorer Charts of the Near Bahamas are a good place to start. *They have preplotted courses and waypoints, and are the most accurate. *My C-Map chart cartridge is based on the explorer charts. *

If you go on the Explorer Charts website, I think they have a sample planning chart that you can click on, and see some routes. *They have charts for different areas of the Bahamas, but I suggest the Abacos, because they are so cruiser friendly. *I enjoy it so much, that I think about going to other areas, but once there just don't leave. *We plan on 5-6 weeks this trip.

If you leave from the Palm Beach area, you can make landfall and clear customs at West End. *It is about 60 miles. *Most of the slower boats do that. *Just anchor at Peanut Island, and you should have plenty of company for the crossing. *The route we take, we see very few cruisers until near our distination.*

Try it. *You will keep going back.

Pineapple Girl wrote:
when are you heading out?
*I want to leave sometime around May 1st. *We have some schedules to work out. *Hannah, Lou's oldest grand daughter, graduates on the 23rd. *Lou doesn't want to miss that. *So, I guess we will fly her back. *Then she could fly back down with the kids. *Life gets complicated, but some how it all works out.

We want to stay 5 or 6 weeks to give Lou enough beach time. *I run her and Troy over to an island. *Then set up an umbrella and lounger. *She takes a book and a cooler, and is set for the afternoon. *We will mostly anchor, and grill fish I catch for dinner. *We plan for this to be a laid back trip. *Just not a bad way to live.

Here are a couple of picture at anchor. *It reminds me of some of the best of boating.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Friday 24th of February 2012 03:39:22 PM

Attachments

• louanddonsunsetatcayocostaweblog.jpg
    louanddonsunsetatcayocostaweblog.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 838
  • lou at cayo costa.jpg
    lou at cayo costa.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 149
that looks so fantastic Don.* sigh

Don - How is Lou's shoulder doing?* several weeks in the Bahamas should seriously help the PT!* ;-)* Or just the anticipation of several weeks in the Bahamas!!

Besslb wrote:
Don - How is Lou's shoulder doing?* several weeks in the Bahamas should seriously help the PT!* ;-)* Or just the anticipation of several weeks in the Bahamas!!
*Hi Bess, Thanks for asking. *She is doing much better each week. *Still in PT, and is now trying to regain the strength back. *We are not certain when we will get to the boat again, but it can't be soon enough for us. *I have someone looking after it. *He checks in every now and then. *It's a shame to have it in a warm location, and can't use it.

Great news!* Now just remember, when you get back to the boat, she needs to rest....and recouperate.* She will need lots of frosty beverages in her beach chair!

Besslb wrote:
Great news!* Now just remember, when you get back to the boat, she needs to rest....and recouperate.* She will need lots of frosty beverages in her beach chair!
*That is correct, and I intend for her to that right after she gets the boat washed and polished.
smile.gif

I will come and wash the boat, let Lou rest!!* Send me a ticket, I'm in for crew!!

If Tom wasn't such a big guy, I would. *Lou thanks you, though
biggrin.gif

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Sunday 26th of February 2012 07:41:05 AM

Oh well...it was worth asking!!*
biggrin.gif

updates please. How is Lou's shoulder? What have you been up to?

Hi Moonstruck, Do you stay up in the Abaco's or do you get further South?
If you get to Nassau give me a shout.
regards
Graham

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom