ksanders
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
RE: Your hull type

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:ksanders wrote:Woodsong wrote:
Actually...I assume our 45 is a planing hull. *She has a small keel, prop pockets, and soft chines. *When I haul her out I will take pics.
Actually I'd venture to say that you have a semi displacement hull. Thats what I think of our 4788 as.

As you indicated she has a full keel, and soft chines.

I've found that mine even at 15 knots is not realy "over the hump" like our planing hull cruisers were.

I could be wrong, but that seems to fit the definition of "semi displacement" *that boat builders and the public have come to use to define a boat that exceeds hull speed but is not as fast as a "cruiser".

That said, I tend to agree with Beebes definition of boat hulls* being either displacement or planing. Using Voyaging Under Power as a guide we own planing hull boats.

Perhaps a better poll would be " What is the maximum speed of your boat"

The link below is to Bruce Roberts site and is his opinion of the differences between hull forms.

http://www.bruceroberts.com/public/H...OAT_DESIGN.htm*

-- Edited by ksanders on Saturday 25th of February 2012 09:20:06 AM

*The way I look at it is if the water is breaking free of the transom, and you can see to the bottom of the hull exposed, you are definitely planing.

*Then we are not planing

Our 4788 seems to "squat" the more power we apply.

Like most other large boats, the original engines in the original design were much smaller than what the manufacturer ended up with at the end of the production run.

Personally I think it is/was a mistake to keep adding larger engines to boats in order to meet a market demographic.

When we re-powered our 4788 I seriously considered going with the Cummins NA engines at about 165 HP (If my memory is correct). The only reason I opted with 330's is because of resale.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote