Older OA 42 or Newer Bayliner 3988, Feedback wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshillam

Guru
Vessel Name
Our Heaven
Vessel Make
1997 4800 Navigator
I think we have narrowed this down to two different models that really work out well for the family. OA 42 or Bayliner 3988. If it's an OA it will be powered with the 3208 Cats and if it's a Bayliner it will be powered with the Cummins 330 HP. My must have list,
Flybridge
Salon station
Two staterooms
Sedan - easy access from salon to cockpit as I will be single handling it from time to time.
Thoughts about both? Have you owned either - better yet. Tell me about your experiences. So excited to be really focusing and hunting for our new boat to come. Leaving AK this week from a cruise I was on I can't wait to return from Portland. I plan on at least once making the inside back to Glacier. 90% of the time though poking around Portland. Once a year heading back to the San Juans. Looking forward to feedback.

If all things are equal and we are just talking about an older OA vs a newer Bayliner, I would pick the older OA. It’s built out of better materials and to higher standard.

I’m not knocking Bayliner’s, good boats at a good price, they just don’t age as well as an OA.

Now if things are not equal I would go with the boat that Is in the best shape.

OA

I would agree. However these two boat models are a decade apart. I do like the interior finishes more on the OA and second stateroom.
On the BL I like the flybridge layout and salon layout more as well the Cummins is a definite plus. Have owned Cummins before and they have be bulletproof engines.

Bayliner makes a great boat when it comes to liveability, but can be a challenge when it comes to accessing the engines and other systems.

Something to consider...

I really like working onboats but as I age I am notas able to do as much so I might pick the boat that is in the best condition assuming all other things are equal.

Thoughts about both?
I'm on my 2nd OA 42 and am still in love with it. My first OA 42 was over 20 years ago and was a 1990. My present OA is a 2006 and has been improved design wise. I know almost nothing about the Bayliner 3988 other than it has almost the same look as the OAS.

My vote goes to the OA 42.

First photo is the 200 Bayliner 3988

1990 OA 42 (It's on my dock and asking is $125K

Attachments

• bayliner.jpg
    bayliner.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 1990 OA 42.jpg
    1990 OA 42.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 170
OA

I'm on my 2nd OA 42 and am still in love with it. My first OA 42 was over 20 years ago and was a 1990. My present OA is a 2006 and has been improved design wise. I know almost nothing about the Bayliner 3988 other than it has almost the same look as the OAS.

My vote goes to the OA 42.

First photo is the 200 Bayliner 3988

1990 OA 42 (It's on my dock and asking is $125K

The 90 I was told had some serious gel coat issues. Lots of stress cracks. Have you seen it in person and could weigh in?

second the concern re: OA gelcoat stress cracks/crazing. Several we looked at were unbelievably bad.

Pick one task, a simple regular one like servicing batteries, changing the oil in the genset, whatever. Go into both boats and try doing the task you chose.

Bayliners are very well outfitted but suck at access. They were built with all the mechanical stuff installed and then the liner and the deck was glued (however) on. My buddy’s 39 Bayliner is a total prick to service, you need to be 20 or a midget. 20 year olds can’t afford one and even a midget can’t get near the genset. As an example, the poop tank vent hose needs replacing but the outlet is in a cupboard which is 6” deeper than my arm’s reach and about 8” wide. There is no access besides cutting a hole in the hull. There was a start problem with one engine and after dismantling the bedroom I spent hours on my knees wedged by the foot of the bed tracing wires and lying on the transmission. I needed a crane to get me out of there. Bayliners suck. But when they are working they are comfortable and nice inside. Good luck changing a poop discharge hose or a water pump. Lift the floorboards and there is all the fuel and electrical stuff, totally covering and hiding the tops of the engines...

Last edited:
If I am to be a boater in the next life I will ask God for a second elbow in one arm!

Leads

If anyone has leads in the west coast please send them my way. Nothing on Yachtworld as I am checking on that every day. Something off market, Craigslist, or your a member here at trawlerrforum.

Here's one of the boats I am looking at right now. It checks off a lot of the boxes, intact all of them with the exception of one. Close enough to the budget I'd fly to take a look at. However I am leary of the engines, I have heard good and bad on these and don't want something as important as engines to be a problem. I am comparing Detroits to Cummins as all the Bayliners have Cummins I am looking at.

http://https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1990/ocean-alexander-sedan-3541820/

I'd love some feedback. Anyone know this OA?

Are these Detroits deserving of their reputation? Good bad or one heck of a boat anchor?

Our good friends in the next slip over have a 3988. The family is selling it for about $99K I think, very good maintenance (but of course it's smack in the middle of the country). Good boat in my opinion, I really like the looks of it, seems to handle much better than our Mainship in high winds. Yes, some systems access is not good but then our boat isn't good either for some systems. The deal killer for me would be the ladder on both the OA and the Bayliner. I can still climb a sailboat mast, it's not an agility issue, it's convenience. Bringing food and drinks up, carrying tools up, kids, older visitors who can't handle ladders easily. Heck, I need a child's sippy cup just to get up there with a cup of coffee. Our current boat may be a big white fiberglass tennis shoe, but we love the stairs and convenience and easy layout. No ladders.

1. It's a love affair. Buy the boat that makes your heart sing.
2. OA probably depreciates slower than a Bayliner.
Oldersalt

I would agree with several other folks here. I have a 1988 OA 420 Sundeck, and looked at many other brands before purchasing. Hands down, the OA had better quality in terms of build compared to similar boats both of the same age, and 10 years newer. That stuck out to me at purchase, and now 6 months in I can say definitively I made the right choice.

Of course, every boat is different, and especially anything 15+ years old, the key is going to be who owned it before you and the quality of maintenance that was performed. I saw plenty of OA's, Grand Banks, and many other quality brands that had not been well taken care of.

It will be a balance of many things, but to me I started with specific brands I knew built things very well, held their value, and lasted long. Then I looked at how the particular boat was maintained. That was a good starting point.

Any knowledgeable opinions on the engines Twin 400hp 6V53 Turbo Detroit engines would be greatly appreciated!!

It will be a balance of many things, but to me I started with specific brands I knew built things very well, held their value, and lasted long. Then I looked at how the particular boat was maintained. That was a good starting point.

I agree with that completely. Buy a quality boat, maintained well and you;ll never regret it. Had Sabre, Bristol, and now the Cape Dory. All quality boats with good resale when that time comes..

First, that’s a very nice looking OA. Some one as spent the money maintaining that boat.

Second, I love and hate those engines. 400hp DD 6-53’s are a wonderfully small package, it is also way to much HP for a 318 cu inch engine. If the boat has been operated at hull speeds all its life then no problem. If it’s been run at WOT then those engines are done.

6-53’s are pretty cheap to rebuild. I find that boat to be a great combination for economy cruising while maintaining the ability to run fast if needed.

It is really hard to give one solid advice towards these engines. I have no reason to believe you will need to rebuild these engines but if it takes all your money to buy the boat and there is no room for catastrophic repair you might be making a mistake. On the other hand no Bayliner will ever compare to this OA.

I had 6V53 naturals in a previous boat. They ran great. Parts are cheap. Don’t know about the turbos. They tend to leak and blow oil mist. We made our own version of Airseps and it took care of the oil mist. They sound very throaty and great. I ran mine so we had about 9 knots and we used about 6 GPH in a 46’ cockpit motoryacht. Overall if you keep them clean they are fine. Almost any diesel mechanic can work on them.

Does the Bayliner you're looking at have a lower helm station, and if so is that where you like to drive? A friend with a 38 Bayliner has very bad visibility from the lower helm and can't drive from there. Can't see over the nose. Something you might check out.

I'd buy the '97 42 OA in Annapolis, have the inoperative engine repaired or replaced, run the northern portion of the loop to Menominee, Michigan, give it to D and B Yacht Transport, and ship it to the west coast. Gorgeous boat. On second thought, maybe I'll buy it and fix it, then sell our 44 OA.

First look

Good thought I saw that they lowered the price. I figured I could either get the current engine running or swap out a rebuilt and still come out ahead on that one depending on shipping. As well, I'd have to have the other one checked out. If I had to repower both engines then it starts to get less appealing.

I would say I am leaning towards the OA line. I like to drive from the fly whenever possible and then only in the coldest weather will I go back down to the salon.

I'd buy the '97 42 OA in Annapolis, have the inoperative engine repaired or replaced, run the northern portion of the loop to Menominee, Michigan, give it to D and B Yacht Transport, and ship it to the west coast. Gorgeous boat. On second thought, maybe I'll buy it and fix it, then sell our 44 OA.

435 hp 3208 Cats are scary. If one is inoperable i’m Guessing it blew up. If one was pushed so hard it blew up, the other is probably right behind it. At 375 hp the 3208 Cat is a great motor.

Cat

435 hp 3208 Cats are scary. If one is inoperable i’m Guessing it blew up. If one was pushed so hard it blew up, the other is probably right behind it. At 375 hp the 3208 Cat is a great motor.

Didn't notice that - for sure. I would guess they were ran hard or neglected. Either way it's probably two new motors for that boat. Maybe hit them hard for the boat, repower with a cummins package or JD.

I however, don't know I have time for that. I think I have located one that I'll be asking my broker to write an offer on and see where it goes.

Re-powering an old boat rarely makes sense. Rebuilding the current engines and limiting the the throttles is most likely the only sensible solution. Long block can be had for $10,000, still expect another $5,000 in unexpected and miscellanies parts and then labor. So at $20,000 a side plus $20,000 to cover loss of use subtracted from an average selling price of $140,000 puts you at $80,000. Not to mention no sea trial so there is a risk of bent shafts or failed gearboxes. If I was going to take this on i wouldn’t want to pay more than $75,000. I think the boat is over priced in an as is condition.

Here's one of the boats I am looking at right now. It checks off a lot of the boxes, intact all of them with the exception of one. Close enough to the budget I'd fly to take a look at. However I am leary of the engines, I have heard good and bad on these and don't want something as important as engines to be a problem.

The Annapolis listing says 600 hours on the Cat 3208s. Not a lot, if the engines we normally well-maintained, not flogged to death, etc. Did you ask why the starboard engine is inop? Could be something less than death...

-Chris

I contacted the broker. Rather elusive response regarding the bad engine....says mechanic can't make an assessment until it's torn down. That could mean a lot of things....from a blown head gasket to a rod through the block. I advised that potential buyers will want a little more info before making a decision...I could remove the heads and oil pan in a few days.

The "good" engine could be surveyed if they'd put the boat in the water. In fact that boat could be run from Maryland to the Great Lakes on one engine with no problem.,,,assuming the bow thruster is working. Big rudders on the OAs. In any case, there's no way I'd contract for an engine rebuild or replacement except by a yard that was nearby.

I don’t think I would start on a trip from Maryland to the Grest Lakes with one engine not working. There are a ton of locks to go through and with only one engine that is offset the boat will be a handful to maneuver in the locks. When the wind gets blowing through some of the locks it is allyou can do with either 2 engines or one on the centerline. Maybe with 2 people to handle lines but still can be risky when there are a bunch of boats in the lock. If they don’t have any definitie fix I would count on a new engine or a complete rebuild.

OK, this is regarding older boats Vs newer boats in general.

I have never been on a OA42, or a Bayliner 3988 although I do own a Bayliner 4788, so these are generalized older vs newer thoughts.

Recreational boat manufacturing has made several significant changes over the years. We went from wood construction to fiberglass in the early 1970’s for example. Because of that huge change, few even consider a wooden boat anymore.

During the 1980’s and 1990’s several other significant manufacturing changes occurred as well.

A big change was going from Balsa cored decks to structural foam cored decks. This single change eliminated the entire problem of deck soft spots due to water ingress and core rot.

Fuel tanks were another change. There are plenty of older boats that were built with iron/steel fuel tanks, and many of those older tanks have had to be replaced, or will need to be replaced soon. Newer boats seem to have Aluminum tanks that have a much longer service life.

When I was boat shopping those issues weighed heavy on my mind, and they are huge dollar repair items. That change in manufacturing process and materials is one of the biggest reasons I choose to spend money on a newer boat vs a older boat.

There is nothing wrong with older boats. Nothing at all. They represent a wonderful value for the dollar, and many of them were built like tanks. For me, at that point in life, a newer boat represented less risk of future big ticket repairs, so that is where I decided to spend my money.

As I indicated I have never been on a OA42 or a Bayliner 3988 the two models in question by the OP. This is just my thoughts in general, and something to consider when making a boat purchase.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom