60 metre Superyacht goes down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bad run of luck over in those parts.

And I thought I've had lousy days.....

Perhaps it was one of those inconsiderate types that passed them dragging a big wake and caused it to capsize!

WOW! Amazing!!

... Greece can still afford to fly helicopters???

That superyacht's center of gravity looks to dang high (two too many decks).* ...* Gee, it even had stabilizer wings (is that what I'm seeing?).

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 24th of February 2012 11:11:29 PM

Has to be a stabilizer, and looking at the angle of it, one wonders if it somehow malfunctioned and turned broadside on to the direction of travel, and ripped a big hole in the bottom. Apart from that - or a catastrophic failure of a dripless seal or raw water cooling circuit, how else could mechanical failure cause such a quick sinking you would think..?

The front of the hull below the waterline sure seems banged up for a yacht at sea. Could they have hit a submerged container or something??

Interesting article. But hard to believe they couldn't save it, given it took seven hours to sink.**I don't like to think of it negatively, but one has to wonder if there was a criminal angle to the sinking.* The article mentions the owner was trying to sell the boat and had an offer.*

LB*

markpierce wrote:
That superyacht's center of gravity looks to dang high (two too many decks).* ...* Gee, it even had stabilizer wings (is that what I'm seeing?).
If you can determine CG by looking at a picture you ought to offer that service to naval architects.You could make a fortune.

Well, duh ... of course there are stabilizers. Those boats commonly use "zero speed" systems that are large enough and powerful enough to keep the boat level while at anchor.

And your constructive comment was.....

Rickb, why do you always have to make snide remarks? Your post adds nothing. Go away.

Edelweiss wrote:
Interesting article. But hard to believe they couldn't save it, given it took seven hours to sink.**I don't like to think of it negatively, but one has to wonder if there was a criminal angle to the sinking.* The article mentions the owner was trying to sell the boat and had an offer.*

LB*
*Surely not, LB. *Here is a picture on the ramp at Dinner Key Marina in Coconut Grove, FL. *New TAhoe, boat, motor. and trailer all went into 10' of salt water. *Plug was out of the boat, and strapped to the trailer. *All windows down on the Tahoe. *Do you suppose somone wanted them to sink?

Miami%20he%20is%20pulling%20out%20now%20weblog.jpg

Old Stone wrote:
Don - Isn't salt water BAD for a car wash????
*I think it's supposed to help the leather.
no.gif

Here is the Tow Boat/US unit at Dinner Key Marina
no.gif

Miami%20Sea%20Tow%20at%20the%20boat%20ramp%20weblog.jpg

Isn't that a trailer-boater's worse nightmare?

My biggest launching/recovery scare was at the top of (now closed)Harrison's steep launching ramp at Baypoint.** Going up near the top of the ramp, the recovery rope snapped and the boat started rolling backward.* (The trailer had rubber rollers on which the boat sat.)* Fortunately, movement stopped after a foot.* From then on, always kept the safety chain attached to the boat*when moving the trailer.

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 29th of February 2012 03:52:51 PM

markpierce wrote:
Isn't that a trailer-boater's worse nightmare?
*Normally, yes, but I think it was a dream for this trailer boater.
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom