Backing board for Electronics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
I am planning on doing a cleanup of my electronics under the dash and would like to mount them to a board versus screw each into the fiberglass (one of the reasons my cables are a mess is I didn't put as many tiedowns in as I would have liked).
What have others used, im thinking HDPE as it looks to have a higher ignition temp than wood but thought I would see what this group thinks.

AC

I am planning on doing a cleanup of my electronics under the dash and would like to mount them to a board versus screw each into the fiberglass (one of the reasons my cables are a mess is I didn't put as many tiedowns in as I would have liked).
What have others used, im thinking HDPE as it looks to have a higher ignition temp than wood but thought I would see what this group thinks.

AC

In these types of locations, I have epoxied mahogany to the glass, then screw into the mahogany. No holes in the glass and easy to change things.

Ken

AC
My tech fabricated a one piece black plastic panel that has a light texture. It matches well with the original black service that came with the boat. I don't know exactly what the material is but it works well!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 8.47.58 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 8.47.58 AM.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 8.47.13 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 8.47.13 AM.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 67

AC

There is a place on 85th NE just off 15th that does engraving on panels, cutting, etc. I had them make me one or two custom panels with cutouts for devices, holes for mounting screws, etc. They did a good job and I think are used by a number of the marine shops. If you can draw something up for them, they should be able to make a panel and even have them cut the openings for the instruments, etc. The material is available is different thickness, and would probably yield a nicer job than just cutting a sheet of Starboard. Sorry I can't remember the name, but I think it begins with an "M".

Thanks! Should be able to track them down.

You can also try Front Panel Express. Just down load their software and design what you want. It gives you pricing as you design.

The PO used black starboard. It has a bit of texture. I didn’t figure this out until I had to mount a new monitor and I used black starboard for additional backing behind the panel. It was the same stuff. Using trim kits from the electronics and everything looks good.

Helm Consol.jpg

My tech fabricated a one piece black plastic panel that has a light texture. It matches well with the original black service that came with the boat. I don't know exactly what the material is but it works well!

Looks like black Starboard to me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom