Lake Okeechobee or Marathon??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alemao

Guru
Vessel Name
ORIGINAL
Vessel Make
Hi Star 55
To cruise from Miami to Ft Myers.
Any experience cruising from the lake?

Well, I think it all depends on the time you have available and your interest in seeing the keys.

With Miami as your destination the overall number of days through the lake vs the keys is about the same. Frankly the lake route is boring and the run from Stuart to Miami has lots of bridges to clear.

Consider leaving from Marco Island straight offshore to Key West. In your boat which I suspect cruises at 8+ kts you can make it in one long day. Then spend some time in KW, Marathon, the upper keys, No Name Harbor on Key Biscayne and finally Miami.

David

We did the Okechobee route one time, and that was one time to many. Every other time, we have gone around through the Keys, a much more enjoyable cruise, in our opinion.

Plus, I've known more than one person who damaged their running gear crossing Okechobee, especially when water levels get low. Straying out of the channel can be painful. And, there are just not that many great places to anchor or overnight.

Okeechobee waterway is pretty simple and straightforward. It generally takes me 2 long days (3 days would be leisurely) from Stuart to Fort Myers. With the exception of low water levels in the Lake this time of year, it's a safe and well marked waterway. Tugs with barges and some commercial fishing vessels use the route. While I wouldn't choose to anchor on the Lake, there are some anchorages on the waterway, a few marinas, and useable dolphins on both sides of most of the locks to tie between. While you have to determine what is your depth below keel comfort level, it is my opinion that there is at least a one foot buffer between actual depth and advertised shallowest depth. It appears for the across the lake route that the shallow spot is at the west end as you are approaching Clewiston. I crossed the lake April 6th and saw 7+' the whole way.

Ted

All good advice, let me add that the Caloosahatchee River portion, the West side of the Okeechobee Waterway, is a natural river that is very old Florida. Winding water with overhanging trees and Spanish moss through small towns like Alva and La Belle with the very friendly and surprising bridge tenders make for a nice day cruise from Ft Myers.

The link that Larry gave is the real deal, straight from the operators of the waterway

:socool:

Alemao

I draw five feet and can take the inside from Miami to Marathon. Hawks channel has more depth if your concerned.

Consider going outside from Lake Worth to Miami. The bridges are a pain. I think I saved 15 bridge opening going outside.

Enjoy, say between the markers unless the charts give you good clearance, you may kick up some mud but you won’t hit. Be careful of lobster pots.

All the locks on the Okeechobee shut down at 5pm. You can anchor anywhere as there will be no traffic.

The only problem is that on the inside route from Miami to Marathon, you have depth for five feet, except where you don’t!

We ran our five foot sailboat hard aground in the middle of the channel around Cotton Key. The local Towboat Captain said he tells people your chances are fifty/fifty with five feet. There are a few rocks sticking up in the channel where there is less than five.

G9

All the times I’ve made that trip and never touched bottom drawing five feet so I guess I was very lucky, still I’ll take my chance (of course, I stay in the middle of the channel.

G9

All the times I’ve made that trip and never touched bottom drawing five feet so I guess I was very lucky, still I’ll take my chance (of course, I stay in the middle of the channel.

We were doing great, until we weren't! :D

The next time we hauled, it was pretty evident we had hit a rock; there was a pretty good dent in the front of the winged (lead) keel. More disconcerting was that we were plowing sand for a quarter mile down the channel before we hit.

I know it was a pretty low tide when it happened (February). Should of waited for the meager high tide! :D

We only draw 4' now, so I would take it without hesitation.

And, it is a pretty run!

Plowing sand for 1/4 mile and you didn’t wait for the tide, you got a big pair. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom