Is there a Universal Greeting ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Best Alternative
Vessel Make
36 Albin Aft Cabin
As we all know, boaters are a social group. We are also a traveling, rambling bunch. We spend many mornings at new and different marinas and various social gatherings.

So...what is a good common greeting between boaters who may not know each other, as in a strange marina where you may be passing on a pier or they may pass your boat while you are on the aft deck enjoying a morning coffee or evening sunset?

Some Considerations:
"Get Boating" or "Go Boating" sound like an order, perhaps too "RAH, RAH"
"Happy Boating" or "Happy Sailing" sound pretty trite
How about "Good Morning Captain" or " Good Morning Admiral" or maybe just "Hi Captain (or Admiral)"
"Great day for Boating!" (even if it might not be) Or more tongue in cheek, "Always a Great Day for Boating"

I'm looking for suggestions, not exactly a secret handshake but more of a universal greeting.

pete

I rotate between "Good Morning", "Good Afternoon" and "Good Evening". Once in a while I'll slip up and use "Good Grief".

I thought that was just how many times they have enjoyed boating...

200.webp

Sailboaters seem to prefer a one finger salute

Careful... there are sailors lurking here.
Is this thread like the "do you wave at every boater?" thread? Boaters don't need a secret greeting. If you see someone on the dock who is old, that person is a boater:D

My marina is fairly large (600+) slips and in an urban environment. We are also right next to several bars, restaurants and night clubs.

There are many times where I don't say anything at all. But I always try and smile at least and make eye contact.

Now, when I get to my dock its different. I know many of the folks there and have even become friends with some. I've been there for 3 years.

Last edited:
If I'm passing them on the right I'll whistle once.

If I pass them on the left I whistle twice.
If I'm walking backwards I whistle three times.
If I am in doubt of their intentions or they are walking into danger I whistle five times.

Ahoy can be appropriate.

"Ahoy (/əˈhɔɪ/) (About this soundlisten (help·info)) is a signal word used to call to a ship or boat, stemming from the Middle English cry, 'Hoy!'.[1] The word had fallen into obsolescence before rising from obscurity as the sport of sailing rose in popularity. 'Ahoy' can also be used as a greeting, a warning, or a farewell."

To a trawler owner, I usually give a hand gesture, eye recognition, or tip or the hat. If a sailor, I usually point and snicker.

Ted

If I'm passing them on the right I'll whistle once.

If I pass them on the left I whistle twice.
If I'm walking backwards I whistle three times.
If I am in doubt of their intentions or they are walking into danger I whistle five times.
My signals are a bit different and based more on visual appeal than the direction either of us is walking.

If they look like this, I will nod, say hello and move on...
40b9645e66d3921ae245cf997e45e551.jpg

If they look like this, I'll nod say hello, ask if I can help them with directions, etc....
500_F_118828997_q5BajzuNgoA2dlcBm4hJbRMFLwN3dhxJ.jpg

If they look like this I'll give them my card. A guy can never have too many deck hands....
how-boating-accidents-happen.jpg

If they look like this I'd say "Honey, you look as great as the day I married you!"
image.jpg

I'm looking for suggestions, not exactly a secret handshake but more of a universal greeting.
If it's a guy coming towards me I usually say "Hi." If it's a good looking gal I usually say "WOW" Hi!!

Believe me, we have some great looking gals on our dock. :dance:

It depends but I notice that Ted points and snickers to the boats that don’t approach his degree of shine (which is all). :)

Our boat looks like a commercial vessel,

so neither the rag baggers or marine motorists give us a glance.

My daughter and I were walking down the dock and made room for an approaching gent obviously bound for another yacht. As we drew abreast, I nodded and said, "Howdy." He replied in kind. I guess I'm typically a little more formal when greeting strangers, but hey, it's the marina and the guy was, as I say, obviously a fellow boater. Anyway, as we walked along, my daughter turned to me with amusement and asked, "Did you just say 'Howdy' to that man?" "Yep," I replied. "He seemed like a Howdy Doody."

I love to approach the guy in his all white uniform with his hat that says “captain “, I will ask if he knows where the captain is. Yeah I’m an *******.

Our boat looks like a commercial vessel,
so neither the rag baggers or marine motorists give us a glance.

Hmmmm, commercial vessel? Rum runner, small arms smuggling, bringing in illegals?

True story. I had an employee that insisted on answering the main company phone line by saying Ahoy. She would not stop doing it. I had to fire her. She wouldn’t leave. Finally had to be removed by the police. Honest true story.

Can’t wait to hear that story next time we are together, perhaps Ft Pierce in February.

I don’t think “skipper” has even been mentioned.
I usually call other boaters Skipper.

OK. I propose a new contest for the Ft Pierce gathering. The most humorous story as voted by those attending will be awarded a prize.

True story. I had an employee that insisted on answering the main company phone line by saying Ahoy. She would not stop doing it. I had to fire her. She wouldn’t leave. Finally had to be removed by the police. Honest true story.

Over the years, I've encountered so much but twice have encountered people who didn't understand they'd been fired.

Once was a young HR guy who blocked light coming through a doorway when he stood in it as he was 6'7" and built like a football player. He sat and nicely spoke to the employee. It went, "John, you know you've been spoken to and warned about this before?" "Yes, sir." "And you know I warned you what would happen if you did it again?" "Yes, sir." "So, John, you've left me with no choice but to terminate you." "Yes, sir." "Do you have any questions?" "No, sir. Can I go back to work now?" "John, I just terminated you." "I understand but can I go back to work now?" "John, I just fired you." "Oh" as a look of revelation and shock came over him.

The young HR manager learned not to use fancy words like "terminate" any more.

My signals are a bit different and based more on visual appeal than the direction either of us is walking.

If they look like this, I will nod, say hello and move on...
40b9645e66d3921ae245cf997e45e551.jpg

If they look like this, I'll nod say hello, ask if I can help them with directions, etc....
500_F_118828997_q5BajzuNgoA2dlcBm4hJbRMFLwN3dhxJ.jpg

If they look like this I'll give them my card. A guy can never have too many deck hands....
how-boating-accidents-happen.jpg

If they look like this I'd say "Honey, you look as great as the day I married you!"
image.jpg
I love it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom