View Single Post
Old 05-24-2019, 01:16 PM   #20
rsn48
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I own a hybrid car, all electric snow blower, lawn mower, leaf blower, weed whacker; I am also a train buff and am used to electric engines in all those trains - most don't know that those engines hauling long consists are electric but they are. We even have a guy here who plans to run a commercial aircraft from Vancouver Island to Vancouver using all electric.

You will spend as much time waiting for your batteries to charge as you will cruising. And are you always going to find a place where you can fill up in the summer when other boats are vying for guest slips. An electric motor run my a generator full time, yes - that's what the large commercial freight engines use.

But for a boat your size, nope! Not all electric. I agree with the above when it comes to power, range, and enough energy to get you back in if you get out into a blow. Or enough range to go anywhere without having to "fill up" again. Its kind of like the early all electric cars where you could only go something like 30 miles; they didn't sell well. You get full points for thinking outside the box, but sometimes there are good reasons for people living inside the box.

If you go to a single engine which you might want to seriously consider due to the cost of replacing two engines, I'd definitely add a bow thruster.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote