Why AMVETS sell poppies on Memorial Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeadMistress

Guru
Commercial Member
John McCrae was serving as a Major and a military doctor and was second in command of the 1st Brigade Canadian Field Artillery. The brigade had arrived there in the early hours of 23 April 1915. It is believed that the death of his friend, Alexis Helmer, was the inspiration for McCrae's poem “In Flanders Fields”.

The Flanders American War Cemetery and the largest British Commonwealth War Cemetery in the world are in Flanders, Belgium and hold the graves of fallen WWI and WWII solders. The reference to the red poppies that grew over the graves of fallen soldiers resulted in the remembrance poppy becoming one of the world's most recognized memorial symbols for soldiers who have died in conflict. The poem and poppy are prominent Remembrance Day symbols throughout the Commonwealth of Nations, particularly in Canada, where "In Flanders Fields" is one of the nation's best-known literary works. The poem is also widely known in the United States, where it is associated with Veterans Day and Memorial Day.

IN FLANDERS FIELDS

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Have a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day weekend, while taking time to remember why we observe it.

--Peggie

It is actually comemorated on November 11th in the UK and around the Commonwealth. (Armistice Day).

It started in 1921 when the Royal British Legion veterans support organization was founded.

The memorial at The Tower Of London a few years ago was pretty amazing.

Attachments

• Tower2.jpg
    Tower2.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 72
It was one of the many very good poems we memorized in 6th-8th grade.

John McCrae was serving as a Major and a military doctor and was second in command of the 1st Brigade Canadian Field Artillery. The brigade had arrived there in the early hours of 23 April 1915. It is believed that the death of his friend, Alexis Helmer, was the inspiration for McCrae's poem “In Flanders Fields”.

The Flanders American War Cemetery and the largest British Commonwealth War Cemetery in the world are in Flanders, Belgium and hold the graves of fallen WWI and WWII solders. The reference to the red poppies that grew over the graves of fallen soldiers resulted in the remembrance poppy becoming one of the world's most recognized memorial symbols for soldiers who have died in conflict. The poem and poppy are prominent Remembrance Day symbols throughout the Commonwealth of Nations, particularly in Canada, where "In Flanders Fields" is one of the nation's best-known literary works. The poem is also widely known in the United States, where it is associated with Veterans Day and Memorial Day.

IN FLANDERS FIELDS

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Have a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day weekend, while taking time to remember why we observe it.

--Peggie
We just completed the Great Loop. We took the Lake Champlain route through the Chambly Canal. We spent the night in a number of small towns on this canal and other very small towns along the way further on. Walking the local streets we nearly always found the memorial to the fallen and often a Canadian Legion hall. Now, mind you, these are small towns. What struck me in looking at the memorials was the incredible number of the names of the fallen relative to the size of the population. Yes, many Americans perished in WW1 but I think most Americans do not realize how profound (comparatively) the loss of life was for Canada, Britain, Australia, New Zealand.

It is actually comemorated on November 11th in the UK and around the Commonwealth. (Armistice Day).

Now called Rememberance Day in the Commonwealth... Armistice Day was renamed Veterans Day here in the US in 1954 after President Eisenhower noted that the United States had been engaged in two wars since Armistice Day was first observed.

--Peggie

Thanks Peggie for reminding us all. As a Vietnam and Gulf war vet, it wasn't always a warm welcome home. I for one am proud of the way we greet our vets today, from all nations, lets hope it doesn’t fade.

Cheers to those that didn’t come home!

Thanks Peggy. Good to get everyone thinking about why we have these "holidays" and the great sacrifices that were made.

God Bless all who serve(d) to protect us, especially those in the military.

...Walking the local streets we nearly always found the memorial to the fallen and often a Canadian Legion hall. Now, mind you, these are small towns. What struck me in looking at the memorials was the incredible number of the names of the fallen relative to the size of the population. Yes, many Americans perished in WW1 but I think most Americans do not realize how profound (comparatively) the loss of life was for Canada, Britain, Australia, New Zealand.

We noticed the same in the small towns we visited in Scotland. There is a HUGE memorial in Campbeltown, Scotland. Small town but huge memorial. I think the town lost four times as many men in WWI than in WWII.

The big tower in the photo is the memorial in a very nice park at the end of the loch.

Later,
Dan

Attachments

• GSC_0484.jpg
    GSC_0484.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 33
I lived 9 years in the States, 2 in Madison Wis and 7 in Chicago, and I don't really remember poppies, this residency was in the mid to early 70's. Being Canadian, from a military family and having served in the military and a son currently in the military, I'm acutely aware of Remembrance Day. And I attended a number of Memorial day events, but I don't remember the poppies there.

Thanks Peggy for reminder and your expert guidance on our marine heads worked out super.

I lived 9 years in the States, 2 in Madison Wis and 7 in Chicago, and I don't really remember poppies... And I attended a number of Memorial day events, but I don't remember the poppies there.

Poppies have never been a ubiquitous symbol of WWI. But on Veterans Day (November 11, originally "Armistice Day" renamed just as the Commonwealth has renamed it Remembrance Day) and Memorial Day weekends you'll see AMVET members selling small paper poppies outside just about every supermarket, mall and other high traffic sites.

AMVETS (American Veterans) has one of America’s leading veterans service organizations for more than 75 years with a proud history of assisting veterans and sponsoring numerous programs that serve them. The poppy sales are one of their fund raising efforts.

--Peggie

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom