Input regarding Whale supersub bilge pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lou_tribal

Guru
Vessel Name
Bleuvet
Vessel Make
Custom Built
Hello TFers, while looking for a replacement for my bilge pump I came over the Whale Supersub Smart pump.
Would any of you have experience with it and its build quality?

Looking at it it seems that it would make a nice replacement and will keep my aft bilge drier than the little Rule pump I curently have.

Thank you for any information you may have.

L

Hello TFers, while looking for a replacement for my bilge pump I came over the Whale Supersub Smart pump.
Would any of you have experience with it and its build quality?

Looking at it it seems that it would make a nice replacement and will keep my aft bilge drier than the little Rule pump I curently have.

Thank you for any information you may have.

L
I have one and like it very much. Easy to fit with a low profile, rotatable discharge nipple, low height suction strainer.

It has a much more quality "feel" to it compared to it's similar sized competitors.

I intend to retrofit mine on to a flexible piece of stainless steel that I can push back deep into in otherwise inaccessible place in my keel pocket under the shaft with camlocks for the hose and a superseal connector.

Installed one 2 years ago- excellent quality, zero failures.

Another excellent reason to have one- last week, about 10 gallons of fuel was found in the bilge (bad hose). I was dreading the potential fines- until I noticed the pump was not triggered by the fuel.

I changed the hose, then vacuumed/cleared the bilge of fuel, and degreased. Only when water hit the sensor did the pump turn on.

With the old Rule setup with the float switch, I would have pumped the fuel overboard....

I put one in a previous boat, it worked very well.

Thank you very much guys!

Any experience with the similar model from Rule, the LP900S?

L

I have two in my now 10-year old boat. One failed after about three years -- the pump housing cracked, even though it was under no unusual stress. I replaced it with another identical pump. I have had no problems with either that replacement pump or the second original pump. But I carry a spare on board just in case.

Refit bilge pump and both graywater shower sump boxes with whale gulpers over year ago works great no more shower sump boxes to clean. No maintenance or performance issues. Well built but pricey. Far better than rule type with flapper float switch for sure.

These pumps sound so great that the insurance companies should be reimbursing us for the cost of installation! I love that it won't pump fuel overboard.

I found the rule pump for 10$ less than the whale one but will go for the whale, what's 10 bucks (a glass of wine, 2 beers, 6 liters of diesel...)!

L

Lou, the lowest I saw the pump listed for was on Amazon for US$80.

Lou, the lowest I saw the pump listed for was on Amazon for US$80.
Thank you FW, I found it at around the same price, 74CAD (for the 650g/h model) and 117CAD (for the bigger one), on chandlery online.

L

I used a pair of those in the old boat, seemed to do their job pretty reliably.

Back
Top Bottom