View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 10:05 AM   #2
latravcha

City: South Louisiana
Star, I live in Assumption Parish, Pierre Part to be exact.
Fortunately the water has to rise another 3 feet for my house to flood but I have several friends that are not so fortunate.

The barge should have been put in place months ago, but due to political reasons this did not happen.
We are being told that they have located a barge that they think will work and will be trying to put it across Bayou Chene. In the past it has taken several weeks to place and sink the barge. The Morganza will start a soft opening on June 3.

Here are a few of issues I can see with the current plan:

They put the barge in place and it stops the back flow of the Bayou Chene. The water in the lake Verret basin is already higher than it was in 2011 when the Morganza was opened.(Belle River gauge in Pierre part is currently at 3.49' in 2011 it only reached 2.47') With the barge in place the only way for the water to get out is the ICW through Houma, which is very restricted. If we get any large rain events the water has nowhere to go other than into additional homes. Do not even want to think what would happen if we get a tropical event.

The barge that they have located does not stop the flow or they can not get it into place because of the current water levels. If Morganza is opened increasing the water levels in the Atchafalaya River at Morgan City to the 10.35' The height in 2011.
In 2011 with the barge in place the water levels south of the barge at Bayou Penchant reached 5.78'. The water levels on the north side of the barge at Bayou Boeuf were 3.73'. This is a 2' difference. Not a good for any one that lives in the Lake Verret basin.
latravcha is offline   Reply With Quote