Trawler Youtubers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smithse

So I've been thinking about the liveaboard life once my daughter is out of school (just finished 2nd grade so I have some time) and I've been watching a lot of youtube about living on a boat. However, they are almost all living on a sailboat. I'd rather have a trawler, but I'd like to see what it's like through someone else's eyes. Whenever I do a search for trawler, i get dozens of boats for sale and that's about it. Are there any good trawler channels on youtube? even those that don't necessarily live aboard would be great. Thanks!!!

Check out Merimaid Monster,, young couple on 55 Nordhavn. Two small kids, having a blast?

Sailors and catamarans do seem to dominate the high production/high frequency TY channels but there are a few trawler channels now:

Mermaid Monster (young family on a Nordhavn 55)
Cruising Sea Venture (couple in the PNW on a CL50 that document their travels as well as a major refit intended for a Pacific crossing).
MV Cassidy (young family on a Nordhavn40 to Alaska. Just sold the N40 and bought a N56 Motorsailer - went through the Panama Canal)
MV Freedom (couple on a Nordhavn 43 in Seattle

Also Tulas endless Summer. Now on a sailing cat earlier episodes were on a 34 Marine Trader. Billy and Sierra. Great stuff

Smith: Good planning! Lol. 10 years from now!

Adventures of OLOH, Great blog/utube a member here on TF, along with Searching for C shells blog and utube .

Searching for C-Shells, I think they have a DeFever 44, and are in the Bahamas right now.

We are kiiiiiinda in the same boat... Our daughter is just finishing 2nd grade, but we've been living and working aboard since she was two-years-old. We have a YouTube channel, but it's also our business. It just so happens to feature us, our boat, equipment and the places we go, too. You might find something useful in some of our videos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/pacificNWboater

No videos but Bumfuzzle blog is worth checking out. Living on a 42' Grand banks now with their 2 kids.

There a channel called 'winty' that covers some maintenance and cruising of a 34' CHB.

Winty is one of my favorites. A must watch if you have a Ford Lehman 120.

So I've been thinking about the liveaboard life once my daughter is out of school (just finished 2nd grade so I have some time) and I've been watching a lot of youtube about living on a boat.

Consider upping your timetable & including your daughter in your liveaboard plans. In my experience boat kids are all the better for their seatime, both in childhood & beyond. My own were grown by the time I went cruising, but did take 2 grandkids for a month in Panama while transiting the Canal & the cruising the San Blas Islands, & the entire crew benefited from the experience. Young teen granddaughter was so affected by what she had seen in poverty-stricken Panama City that she took Spanish all the way through high school & college on her return to the U.S. & eventually attained her MSW & is now a Senior Social Worker (as well as mother to 3 FAB daughters, the eldest of which just returned this week from a study abroad stint in Scandanavia). Grandson, who was in elementary school during our cruising adventure, has Aspberger's Syndrome, a form of autism, but the entire time he was aboard there was absolutely no sign of it. He was not just a normal kid, but a boat kid, with the easy-going body language of one attune with his environment. He was able to interact with the Kuna Indian boys in the islands, even joining one in his canoe. Today he is a college grad & an award-winning software developer, planning to return to school in 2020 to work on a PhD in Statistics. Decades have passed since our time together in Margaritaville, but the joys, influences & memories are still with us, even though our skipper is not. It still makes me smile when I remember the day we declared a schoolwork holiday in favor of a ferocious daylong double-12 dominoes tournament, even though I don't recall who won, & the times we devoured stovetop pizza made from Kuna-baked bread. Oh, the day we trekked a jungle road & discovered a roadside stand selling Cheeseburgers in Paradise, & rail-thin teen girl devoured two of the monsters! I don't know for sure what it is about kids on a boat, whether it is the motion of the ocean, the return to nature or the close relationship with the adult crew--but I've had the chance to see the positive effects in other families as well as my own, & if I had the proverbial life do-over, I'd take my own kids to sea from the cradle on. Give it a thought, Dad--

"Technomadia" :
A couple who have been documenting their Great Loop adventure, including costs, starting with their purchase and modification of a Bayliner 4788. Pretty useful info.

- Trying Not To Sink (you tube)
- MVDirona.com

I don’t see many posts on power catamarans but we just went from sail(Leopard 38) to power, and we wanted the incredible room and stability of a cat. We bought an Endeavour 44 catamaran trawler, 44’ LOA, 18’8” beam, with twin Yanmar 240 hp diesels. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but we love it. Covered helm station, huge saloon, 3 queen bedrooms, 2 heads with walk in showers and fresh water electric heads, generator, a/c, great galley. Very comfortable and worth considering.

IF you are going to wait until she is out of school, for your sake, you'd better hope she doesn't want to become a doctor or go for a PhD.

So far my cut on bogs and videos is there is a LOT of partial truths and bad info out there.

Sure watch and enjoy but view the content much like a reality show over a well credentialed documentary.

It's just like any internet info, source and research almost everything from as many sources as you can before adding it to your bag of tips.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom