"more power!"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foreverunderway

As Tim the tool man Taylor says, we need "MORE POWER!
Last year we got an Engel freezer and smaller than usual 4d's (Colombian).
The easy solution I see right now is to add the engine start battery to the house bank and get another battery for engine start.
My question: Do you think a group 31 Lead/Acid battery is powerful enough to start a Perkins 4:236 reliably?
Do any of you use a lead/acid group 31 battery to start a 4.236 Perkins diesel?
TIA

I used a Group 31 to start a 5.3 liter Yanmar which is bigger than the 4.236 and many use a 31 to start the 5.9 liter Cummins, so no problem with that battery.

You should also consider changing your entire house battery setup to pairs of 6V golf cart batteries wired in series/parallel.

David

I
You should also consider changing your entire house battery setup to pairs of 6V golf cart batteries wired in series/parallel.David
Thanks for the reply.
As for 6-volt banks, I left the states with 6 Trojan 145's as my house bank, but we live in the Caribbean and they aren't easily replaced down here. A 4D is a drop-in and cheaper.

Use group 31 slap to start my Cummins 6.7 liter QSB even when cold. No problems yet.

"A 4D is a drop-in and cheaper."

Is the 4D a start or deep cycle?

Many of the ones I have seen were starts , that suck as deep cycle batts.

Don't be fooled by "marine combo" batts , there not great at anything.

True deep cycles have loads of amperage left even when down 50% , if there are enough batts combined that there is plenty of plate surface , they work fine when ganged for engine starting.

Try a start with the house batts while they are down , if the engine spins fast , your home free.
A second check would be a digital Volt meter on the starter motor , over 9.5V while starting and all is well.

I have often thought ALL deep cycles with a new starting aid batt might be a good solution for summer cruises.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom