Camano Troll owners - anyone store on the hard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ForceMultiplier

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
First Draft
Vessel Make
21'4" Tolman widebody skiff
Do any of you Camano Troll owners keep your boat in "dry" storage - that is, blocked up on land or in a dry-stack marina?
Towing a Troll is not feasible and I'm totally against keeping a boat in a wet slip (for both mechanical/maintenance and financial reasons). Just wondering if it's even a feasible approach to consider keeping one on land and having it splashed when I want to use it.

Do any of you Camano Troll owners keep your boat in "dry" storage - that is, blocked up on land or in a dry-stack marina?
Towing a Troll is not feasible and I'm totally against keeping a boat in a wet slip (for both mechanical/maintenance and financial reasons). Just wondering if it's even a feasible approach to consider keeping one on land and having it splashed when I want to use it.
A guy I know, and lives just down the road, keeps his boat at home most of the time. Keeps it on the trailer. I'll have to tell him it isn't feasible to tow it. LOL

Saw one on a Lift

Personally I think it is better for the boat to be in the water versus being hauled in and out a lot. Depending on where you keep her, you may be able to just have a diver. I am sure some marinas with plenty of space would be willing to go the dry route but I expect it would be expensive for a Camano vs a boat that fits the common racks.

Some dry stack storage places can handle boats in the 15,000 lb range, but not many and those that do probably can't handle the height. If you store blocked up on stands then it can get rather expensive if you have lots of in and out travel lift trips.

Maybe you can negotiate a deal with a yard for x round trips a year so they will give you a big discount on the travel lift usage.

But as expressed above, I would much, much prefer to stay in the water, but I understand the costs.

David

Thanks, y'all, for the insights.
Perhaps a Camano Troll isn't the right boat for me, then. I'll have to look around and see what else may work.

......I'm totally against keeping a boat in a wet slip (for both mechanical/maintenance and financial reasons).

There really aren't additional mechanical or maintenance issues introduced by wet slipping a boat, with the exception of bottom paint, however, I would expect most used boats of that size and form factor to be bottom painted already.

Honestly, I'm not sure how much cheaper it would be to 'valet' the boat either.

2 trolls in our Marina. Realistically, I don't think that's a workable plan....

Why are you against keeping a boat in the water (aside from the financial part; slip fees etc)?

Not being able to keep an eye on it and having it available for me to keep clean, maintain, and work on.
More issues with saltwater corrosion.
Not knowing if a line has become slack and it's banging against the dock.

Those kinds of things....

Not being able to keep an eye on it and having it available for me to keep clean, maintain, and work on.
More issues with saltwater corrosion.
Not knowing if a line has become slack and it's banging against the dock.

Those kinds of things....

Ummm....hmmm....okay

So are you dismissing those as valid, logical concerns and a reason for wanting to not keep it in the water?

Well , this is Trawler Forum. Most of us keep our boats in the water. We are able to clean, maintain and work on our boats. We are also able to deal with any salt water corrosion and lines going slack.

Last edited:
So are you dismissing those as valid, logical concerns and a reason for wanting to not keep it in the water?

Your concerns are real. It is much like wanting to keep a car in an enclosed garage as opposed to sitting in the driveway, more secure, easier to work on, less exposure to the weather etc... However, that doesn't mean that if someone didn't have a garage that they wouldn't buy a car. Likewise, if they had a small garage but needed a full size pickup, than they would eschew the pickup for a compact car.

The point is that while your concerns are real, they are probably not worth the trouble and expense of keeping your boat out of the water.

A boat that is in the water is much more likely to be used than a boat that is out of the water.

To the OP,

Do any of the marinas near you offer dry stack (or maybe cradle storage) of boats your size? What about storage of boats on trailers?

If the answer is no to all of the above, then its a moot point anyway. :blush:

Jim

To the OP,

Do any of the marinas near you offer dry stack (or maybe cradle storage) of boats your size? What about storage of boats on trailers?

If the answer is no to all of the above, then its a moot point anyway. :blush:

Jim

Cradle storage, yes. Trailer storage, yes. I'm going to go down there (Morehead City/Beaufort) in the next couple of weeks and look around some.

When we had our dirt home and worked we had biggest boat we could trailer a weekender. That fit us. When we moved full time to water we now have 42 trawler and weekener is history. Pick what fits but as we know a C-T is not a trailerable boat so having yard launch and pull as you want to sail sounds inconvenient and costly imo.

When we had our dirt home and worked we had biggest boat we could trailer a weekender. That fit us. When we moved full time to water we now have 42 trawler and weekener is history. Pick what fits but as we know a C-T is not a trailerable boat so having yard launch and pull as you want to sail sounds inconvenient and costly imo.

Thanks for the response. I'm seeing that you are correct.

To the OP,

I wouldn't rush to judgement on any decision on how to store this type of boat until you personally speak with the marina staff and explore what options are available.

I want to make sure that there is no confusion, but my comment on trailer storage was meant for the storage of the boat on a trailer at the yard. I didn't mean trailering the boat from home and then storing the empty trailer at the yard. We did this many years ago when we kept our sailboat at the yard on the trailer. We would drive down, hook up the trailer and launch the boat. I often used my own truck, but the yard had a beater 1 ton dually and customers could either use the truck or have someone from the yard drive the truck. Some potential differences from you situation was that our sailboat was lighter, had a beam of under 8'6" and already had a trailer. It was a great arrangement for this sailboat as you could keep the sailboat rigged and ready to go at all times. After two seasons we ended up selling the boat and buying a much larger sailboat that was wet slipped.

Personally, I would wet slip a Troll. But, whatever decision that you make should be based on your wants and needs and not be dictated by someone else sitting at their computer.

I believe that there are also two Camano owners forums. If I was seeking advice, I would also inquire there as well as they could give you any potential pitfalls on land storing a Troll.

I would offer that you go down and speak with the marina folks, then share what you have learn, and then continue with this thread.

Jim

To the OP,

I wouldn't rush to judgement on any decision on how to store this type of boat until you personally speak with the marina staff and explore what options are available.

I want to make sure that there is no confusion, but my comment on trailer storage was meant for the storage of the boat on a trailer at the yard. I didn't mean trailering the boat from home and then storing the empty trailer at the yard. We did this many years ago when we kept our sailboat at the yard on the trailer. We would drive down, hook up the trailer and launch the boat. I often used my own truck, but the yard had a beater 1 ton dually and customers could either use the truck or have someone from the yard drive the truck. Some potential differences from you situation was that our sailboat was lighter, had a beam of under 8'6" and already had a trailer. It was a great arrangement for this sailboat as you could keep the sailboat rigged and ready to go at all times. After two seasons we ended up selling the boat and buying a much larger sailboat that was wet slipped.

Personally, I would wet slip a Troll. But, whatever decision that you make should be based on your wants and needs and not be dictated by someone else sitting at their computer.

I believe that there are also two Camano owners forums. If I was seeking advice, I would also inquire there as well as they could give you any potential pitfalls on land storing a Troll.

I would offer that you go down and speak with the marina folks, then share what you have learn, and then continue with this thread.

Jim

Understood. I plan to go scout out some marinas at my earliest convenience and find out what my options are.
Thanks for the response.

Dry rack for camano troll

Absolutely doable.

Many marinas in South Florida dry rack store up to 40 footers.

I kept my Acadia 32 in dry rack storage in Apalachicola and it worked fine. No issues.

Yep, One that was for sale, when I bought mine, was kept on a lift. Would expect a lift spot would be more expensive than a slip and I just believe hulls are happiest in the water. Spreads the load...

Thanks, everyone. I believe I'm going to go an entirely different direction. I'm strongly considering building a Great Alaskan Skiff and fitting it out for cruising.
I built and launched a Tolman Skiff in 2000, which I still have, and the Great Alaskan is basically a larger scale evolution of the Tolman and uses similar building techniques, so I should be ahead of the curve as far as building goes.
Here's a profile of the Great Alaskan.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190526-185220_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20190526-185220_Drive.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 32
And here's my Tolman, anchored at Cape Lookout, NC.

Attachments

• First Draft2.jpg
    First Draft2.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 21
Thanks, everyone. I believe I'm going to go an entirely different direction. I'm strongly considering building a Great Alaskan Skiff and fitting it out for cruising.
I built and launched a Tolman Skiff in 2000, which I still have, and the Great Alaskan is basically a larger scale evolution of the Tolman and uses similar building techniques, so I should be ahead of the curve as far as building goes.
Here's a profile of the Great Alaskan.

Neat looking little boat!

Hope that you stay an active member of this forum and post a thread on your build! :thumb:

Jim

Neat looking little boat!

Hope that you stay an active member of this forum and post a thread on your build! :thumb:

Jim
Thank you, sir. We have thoroughly enjoyed it. Now, I'm looking for something we can go on some adventures with and spend the night. I'm staring right down the barrel of retirement in about 3 years and that's my plan.
I'll be sure to stick around- I enjoy learning about all sorts of boats and my intended lifestyle with the Great Alaskan is more akin to trawler life than anything else.

Camano dry storage

Honestly, that plan is not really workable. However, sounds like one of the larger Ranger Tugs or a Rosborough on a trailer would fit your requirements. Besides our trawler, we have a smaller boat on a trailer that is stored at a marina that will splash and recover it an unlimited number of times per month. They will take it to the wash rack if needed or set it in the parking area if we want to take it somewhere else. Added benefits of a boat on a trailer is the ability to run from storms, cruise distant areas in a much shorter time and the ability to go to your mechanic rather than paying him to come to you. Just a few thoughts.

Honestly, that plan is not really workable. However, sounds like one of the larger Ranger Tugs or a Rosborough on a trailer would fit your requirements. Besides our trawler, we have a smaller boat on a trailer that is stored at a marina that will splash and recover it an unlimited number of times per month. They will take it to the wash rack if needed or set it in the parking area if we want to take it somewhere else. Added benefits of a boat on a trailer is the ability to run from storms, cruise distant areas in a much shorter time and the ability to go to your mechanic rather than paying him to come to you. Just a few thoughts.
Yes, indeed - a Ranger Tug and Rosborough are probably perfectly sufficient for what I want to do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom